Gun saftey and the School

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tothemax93

Reaction score
The other day I over heard my 9 year old talk about the papers that were sent home about gun safety, from the school. I thought, Great, I can't wait to see what kind of garbage they are filling my kids head with. A few days went by and I saw it on their little table. I picked it up and started reading the papers. It was mostly about what to do if you find a gun in your home. Basically it was to not touch it and go find an adult. I thought, thats good. Then I looked at who provided the material. I couldn't believe it, but it was put out by the NRA. I was very surprised that a liberal new york state school system would allow the NRA's materials in. I think the words "gun nuts" comes to mind from most liberals. I am somewhat in the country though, so there is still a lot of hunting and gun ownership in the area.

It's a shame that every child isn't taught firearm safety. My Dad had simple rules. If I wanted to look at his firearms, just ask and he would supervise. If I found a firearm, come and get him. We went to the range a few times when I was young and I bought my own 22 when I was 8. I followed his rules and we never had any trouble.

I taught my sons firearm safety and allowed them to shoot as large a caliber as they wanted. I gave them the same rules as my dad had given me. Never had any incidents. After shooting some of the bigger stuff, they were above the pier pressures of playing with guns...

They are now teaching my Grandsons with the same rules... I'd rather have an educated child find a firearm that someone had tossed or left lying around than one that has been "Sheltered" from them and knows nothing...

It's a shame that every child isn't taught firearm safety. My Dad had simple rules. If I wanted to look at his firearms, just ask and he would supervise. If I found a firearm, come and get him. We went to the range a few times when I was young and I bought my own 22 when I was 8. I followed his rules and we never had any trouble.

I taught my sons firearm safety and allowed them to shoot as large a caliber as they wanted. I gave them the same rules as my dad had given me. Never had any incidents. After shooting some of the bigger stuff, they were above the pier pressures of playing with guns...

They are now teaching my Grandsons with the same rules... I'd rather have an educated child find a firearm that someone had tossed or left lying around than one that has been "Sheltered" from them and knows nothing...

+1 thats how I grew up.
Motorcycle the summer of my 4th birthday and my first .22 that Christmas.
If I was curious about any of the rifles or handguns, off we went to go shooting.

i didn't grow up around guns all that much, but somewhat interested now.

my grandfather is getting to the point where they have to move out of their house and closer to his dialysis treatments and he doesn't want to keep his firearms. i think this is the reason I need to go get my license here in MA (can't own any firearm without one), so i can hold on to things of his..

The other day I over heard my 9 year old talk about the papers that were sent home about gun safety, from the school. I thought, Great, I can't wait to see what kind of garbage they are filling my kids head with. A few days went by and I saw it on their little table. I picked it up and started reading the papers. It was mostly about what to do if you find a gun in your home. Basically it was to not touch it and go find an adult. I thought, thats good. Then I looked at who provided the material. I couldn't believe it, but it was put out by the NRA. I was very surprised that a liberal new york state school system would allow the NRA's materials in. I think the words "gun nuts" comes to mind from most liberals. I am somewhat in the country though, so there is still a lot of hunting and gun ownership in the area.
Make sure you call / email your school district and congratulate them on the efforts educating the children on hand gun safety. The material is put out by the NRA and Eddie Eagle is narrated by Jason Prissily of 90210. This literature is provided free from the NRA, members like myself can help any school district obtain these educational videos and literature for free. I think most people would be surprised how much time, effort and money the NRA puts towards gun safety for our youth. I think the song goes something like, don't touch, leave the area tell an adult. I applaud you school district for putting gun safety before their political views, :clapping:Michigan has been teaching with that literature for years.

Make sure you call / email your school district and congratulate them on the efforts educating the children on hand gun safety. The material is put out by the NRA and Eddie Eagle is narrated by Jason Prissily of 90210. This literature is provided free from the NRA, members like myself can help any school district obtain these educational videos and literature for free. I think most people would be surprised how much time, effort and money the NRA puts towards gun safety for our youth. I think the song goes something like, don't touch, leave the area tell an adult. I applaud you school district for putting gun safety before their political views, :clapping:Michigan has been teaching with that literature for years.

2fear, That the exact literature. It has the song and eddie eagle. I'll be sure and talk to someone at the school about what a good thing it is.

EvilD, My kids are in the Iroquois school district.

i didn't grow up around guns all that much, but somewhat interested now.

my grandfather is getting to the point where they have to move out of their house and closer to his dialysis treatments and he doesn't want to keep his firearms. i think this is the reason I need to go get my license here in MA (can't own any firearm without one), so i can hold on to things of his..

That's a shame when you can't own a firearm w/o a license. Goes against our founding fathers principles altogether. When you attempt to control the populations ability to revolt against tyranny by taking away their weapons ............... people die . You can look it up .

If anyone would ask my two youngest boys what would happen if they touch a gun in the house, there answer in two words, 'Hot butt.'
All my kids shot a gun by the age of 6. They know what happens at the receiving end.

That seems odd that they allow the NRA there. Understand what you mean, 93. I'd figure they'd want the kids to report if a parent has a gun.

Back