Gunson ColorTune

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shuriken

Reaction score
I own an older model Gunson ColorTune and have used it in the past on my Yamaha XS11. I thought it was useful for getting a good idle mix. The one I have didn't fire all the time for several reasons, which I think they have solved.

Apparently they came out with another one, the model G4171, which is a 12mm version and which apparently has less volume (to help it fire easier and to not add as much combustion chamber volume) and which apparently handles higher temps.

I just ordered a G4171 to try. My existing one would work if I bought the 12mm adapter, but I opted against that. So I will try the new one, which is 12mm.

I know you can adjust the mix by ear and/or by RPM. I'll try a combination of the 3.

Being able to see the combustion color as you turn the mix screws shows you a lot of things, but one great feature is that you can instantly find out if your pilot jets are too large or too small; if you keep adjusting the screws but you can never get the right flame color, the pilot circuit needs adjusting.

Yes, you start with the ball park recommended number of turns out, but each carb could need a slightly different setting, and one setting that works for one guy may not work on another person's bike.

One thing I found with the XS11 is that it didn't want to idle as well when you set each cylinder at the proper mix to get a bunson blue color flame. For some reason, the XS11 needed a slightly orange flame to idle well. It will be interesting to see how the Max tunes.

Some people like the ColorTune and some don't. I'll give it a try and post results. I'm hoping it will help me sort out the current problems I'm having. If I get replacement carbs, I'll want to check them anyway, so I'll use this kit with the current carbs and future ones if I get any.

I had one but sold it. I kept on having trouble with it not firing or when it did fire it would jump to the head.

I also had one but sold it. Don't know which model but it was very unfriendly to use on the v max. Not enough room above the plugs to set it up.

Sorry, don't remember the model number. I bought it 3-4 years ago.

I also had one but sold it. Don't know which model but it was very unfriendly to use on the v max. Not enough room above the plugs to set it up.

I definitely agree! Their is just barely enough room to get it to work. I used my Dad's so I didn't want to destroy it, but I would cut the connector that goes into the spark plug and then into the cap, and then insulate it way more so that it doesn't spark on the connector.

I was able to get it to work, but it's not an easy slip it in job... (hmm I feel like I may have been able to phrase that better)

I definitely agree! Their is just barely enough room to get it to work. I used my Dad's so I didn't want to destroy it, but I would cut the connector that goes into the spark plug and then into the cap, and then insulate it way more so that it doesn't spark on the connector.

I was able to get it to work, but it's not an easy slip it in job... (hmm I feel like I may have been able to phrase that better)

So what you're saying is Gunson plays hard to get? Cock block?

This is exactly inline what I had in mind.

Destroy your Dad's ColorTune? Like that stack of bricks in your avatar? :biglaugh:

This is exactly inline what I had in mind.

Destroy your Dad's ColorTune? Like that stack of bricks in your avatar? :biglaugh:
yeah... you destroy a couple of his tools and all of a sudden he doesn't want to lend you anymore... :ummm:

So what you're saying is Gunson plays hard to get? Cock block?
Ha ha... oh extremely... just like a hot chick's fat friend!

So as a note to this: I just ordered my own colortune. I'm going to modify it to work better(I hope) and I'll post some pictures on what I did.

I'll need to shorten the adapter and insulate it better. The last time I did this I shocked the crap out of myself and burned myself several times... I'm hoping things will go better this time! :biglaugh:

I was able to get mine to work. I'll have to send pics.

Basically, I had to remove the air scoops and electrics and anything else in the way. The colortune lead is absurdly long. Removing extra stuff helped.

I tried it as is, barely having enough room to connect the coil cap to the colortune lead. Spark jumped the gap to the cylinder head.

I then modified the colortune wire. I basically jammed it inside some PVC tubing (extra insulation). The colortune wire also has a stupid part on the end of the wire that connects to the plug that has no insulation at all. So I put some PVC tubing over that too and cut it just the right length so that when you thread the wire to the plug, the insulator sits flush on the clear part of the plug. This really helped prevent the spark jumping the gap to the head. But it makes it hard to see combustion flame.

Plus, the plug doesn't seem to want to fire very good, either. Hard to tell if the blue color I'm seeing in the chamber is spark or flame.

Jaoteay, your avatar is cool. Is that you smashing the blocks?

I was able to get mine to work. I'll have to send pics.

Basically, I had to remove the air scoops and electrics and anything else in the way. The colortune lead is absurdly long. Removing extra stuff helped.

I tried it as is, barely having enough room to connect the coil cap to the colortune lead. Spark jumped the gap to the cylinder head.

I then modified the colortune wire. I basically jammed it inside some PVC tubing (extra insulation). The colortune wire also has a stupid part on the end of the wire that connects to the plug that has no insulation at all. So I put some PVC tubing over that too and cut it just the right length so that when you thread the wire to the plug, the insulator sits flush on the clear part of the plug. This really helped prevent the spark jumping the gap to the head. But it makes it hard to see combustion flame.

Plus, the plug doesn't seem to want to fire very good, either. Hard to tell if the blue color I'm seeing in the chamber is spark or flame.

Jaoteay, your avatar is cool. Is that you smashing the blocks?

Yeah that's me... My brother and I run a martial arts school. I'm racing one of my students to 10 bricks. I've broke 7, but didn't break on 8 a few weeks ago - and missing on concrete kind of sucks... That whole equal and opposite reaction/force thing.

Could you send me some pics about what you did? I'm waiting to get my K & N filter, and then I'll put that in, swap out my main jets and then of course retune the carbs...

Latest posts

Back