H.A.C. Sissy Bar and the Stock Reflector

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dezeez

Reaction score
I hate a sissy bar on the Max but every now and then, the little woman graces me with her presence and wants to go for a ride. So, I sold my stock bar and bought a H.A.C. since it goes on and off fairly quickly.

What a ugly piece of crap. After sanding, polishing and powdercoating it, I installed the sissybar mounting braket and noticed that without the sissy bay on, the rear of the bike looked pretty fugly.

Anyway, a little elbow grease and I modifed the stock reflector to fit over the H.A.C. bracket when the sissy bar isn't mounted (most of the time) and when it is, I have a piece of velcro under the reflector that the H.A.C. reflector can stick on to cover the bracket.

Here's some pictures to show what it looks like when the sissy bar is off and the stock reflector is mounted. It's only held on by one nut so it comes off very easily when I want to use the sissy bar.

Don't know if anyone is interested in this or not so I didn't take it apart for more detailed pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_1490.JPG
    IMG_1490.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_1491.JPG
    IMG_1491.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_1489.JPG
    IMG_1489.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 202
Lets see the back of the plate if you would... I have the same setup and would love to use the stock piece when the sissy bar is off...

Tanks!

I would definatly be interested in seeing a pic of what you did to make the stock reflector fit again. It sounds simple enough from you description but a pic is always nice.

Here's what I did. Sorry, I rushed the pictures as I'm leaving on vacation tomorrow.

Be very,very careful cutting the tabs that hook over the stock bracket off of the rear reflector. It's very easy to break the corners off.

Attachments

• 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 216
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 180
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 169
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 183
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 146
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 164
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 184
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 242
Ok maybe I am confused here.. You keep saying Sissy Bar.. I dont see any sissy bar in any of the pics you posted??:confused2:
Do you mean "Grab Bar" I see your grab bar.... Why upgrade with a reflector if any changes are made we are installing an LED tail and brake light there, You want one I have them for sale 25.00 plus shipping.

Ok I will let you all in a little secret, but promise not to tell ok........

If you take that plastic piece which the reflector, well in your case reflector attaches to.......... Here it is ready........ If you take mineral spirits and a cloth and start rubbing on it kinda like rubbing for the Genie to cum out,, well in this case no Genie will come out but you will find CHROME under it. No Shit try it out.... Theres Chrome up in them Mountains Boy.. Chrome Woooo Hoooooo

Lankee, the H.A.C. sissy bar mounts with the grab rail in place. If you don't have one, then this post isn't for you. It's as simple as that.

Thanks for the pics. I did this to mine on Sat. One thing I discovered for anyone with the black grap bar. THe sissy bar apparently rubbed from time to time and put two rub marks through the black on my grab bar. I am gonna but some velcro(soft side) in the curves of the sizzy bar to keep it from happening again.

Thanks for the pics. I did this to mine on Sat. One thing I discovered for anyone with the black grap bar. THe sissy bar apparently rubbed from time to time and put two rub marks through the black on my grab bar. I am gonna but some velcro(soft side) in the curves of the sizzy bar to keep it from happening again.

I had the same problem with the clearcoat on the aluminum grabrail. My H.A.C. was finished so poorly that when I got it, after seeing the finish and the rubbing on the rail, I stripped it and polished it making sure that I removed enough metal where it touched the rail that it wouldn't happen again.

H.a.c. sissybars

Im still awaiting mine , i have read a few threads but would like to see a pic from rear of reflector with the sissy bar on . As i dont like the reflector on the sissybar as it just doesnt look right .
I have seen the thread with the mod of the stock reflector back on bike after sissybar has been taken off .

I am wanting to know if im able to mod the stock reflector for the sissybar when on and off , has anyone done this ?

Im wanting to do this or do i just get a near stock reflector to put on back of sissybar if possable :confused2:

Mine finally arrived and so i put it on .
Dont like the back reflector tho , thinking bout putting a aluminium plate on back .

Not sure on wether it should be polished or painted black to match the Max .

What do you guys think ?:ummm:

Mine finally arrived and so i put it on .
Dont like the back reflector tho , thinking bout putting a aluminium plate on back .

Not sure on wether it should be polished or painted black to match the Max .

What do you guys think ?:ummm:

I tried the polishing route....after a couple hours it didn't seem I was getting any closer to the chrome and decided to paint it instead. I believe the trick is to sand off everything down to the white plastic...there are 3 layers, silver, chrome then copper (these don't come off very easily BTW)

Then I shot it with Krylon gloss black in a rattle can...prolly 4 or 5 coats. I was pleased with the result. I have a Lankee tail/brake light conversion installed also.

Attachments

• 100_1327.jpg
    100_1327.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 109
I do not like the look of a ,..GAWD i hate to say it ,..lets call it a back rest.
BUT,...I do like the looks of the H.A.C,....and i don't have to buy a separate grab rail,....I can use the existing one,...
You did a nice job fitting it .looks great.,.....me likey .:clapping:

I do not like the look of a ,..GAWD i hate to say it ,..lets call it a back rest.
BUT,...I do like the looks of the H.A.C,....and i don't have to buy a separate grab rail,....I can use the existing one,...
You did a nice job fitting it .looks great.,.....me likey .:clapping:

I have to do this very soon!

OK I finished it up... I made some slight changes but it's overall the same idea...

Came out pretty good IMO. Not the best but I really didn't want to have to re powder coat the thing. I already modded mine by welding nuts to the back side so all I have to do is bolt it up and go. I kind of defeated the purpose of not having to remove the rear seat now but it looks so much better that it's OK.

Attachments

• vmax back plate 1.jpg
    vmax back plate 1.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 61
  • vmax back plate 2.jpg
    vmax back plate 2.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 61
  • vmax back plate 3.jpg
    vmax back plate 3.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 65
  • vmax back plate 4.jpg
    vmax back plate 4.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 64
  • vmax back plate 5.jpg
    vmax back plate 5.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 69
  • vmax back plate 6.jpg
    vmax back plate 6.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 83
How do you keep the screw under the lens from spinning when you take the reflector on and off?

I used a nut on the back side to hold it from spinning but I also put 3M double back tape on the head and then crammed the reflector on and bolted it on. I'm pretty confident that it won't spin. If this doesn't work I will try your idea.

Back