Halos installed in the scoops

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anybody have any tips for a DIY build of this? I"d MUCH rather buy from Mike but he's not replied to any attempt to contact him, Might just be on vacation for a few weeks of course.

I'm sure he is very busy since his move. I had Jessie from Chromeglow in Coral Springs make a plug and play kit for me.

[email protected]20210417_195751.jpg

Look nice! Thanks for the tip!!

I already called Jessie @ coral springs and he's working on getting me setup as we speak.

Look nice! Thanks for the tip!!

I already called Jessie @ coral springs and he's working on getting me setup as we speak.
Is this going to be a driving light/turn signal kit or just the driving light option and mind sharing a price when he gets back to you?

Yes, both running and turn, but you get to pick. I just selected that. It should give me all 4 on as running, then flash when I select a turn signal.

It was $260 shipped. I believe he’ dropping the price each time he sells one. Good old volume drives price down. rmax, as the first of his and the R&d funder, certainly paid more. I suggested he make up two when he builds mine. The next guy will probably save more money still, but what the heck.

this is obviously not cheap, nor is it fully plug and play. But it should look damn good.

It was $260 shipped. I believe he’ dropping the price each time he sells one. Good old volume drives price down. rmax, as the first of his and the R&d funder, certainly paid more. I suggested he make up two when he builds mine. The next guy will probably save more money still, but what the heck.

this is obviously not cheap, nor is it fully plug and play. But it should look damn good.
A little less expensive than the kit Mike was offer and the thing that I found so attractive about Mike's offering is that it was truly plug-and-play...not a fan of cutting into or hacking up harnesses.

I'm curious to see what the install on your kit looks like and how "not fully plug-and-play" it is...and please don't take it as me bashing the kit as I have no idea what the install looks like and it it's a wire here or there then it sounds like a good option given there isn't a current alternative.

Total cost for me, $55. Halos from Amazon, $40. Load resistors for LEDs, $15. I have a special epoxy that I used to build my 78mm brackets for the upper halo. Took a bit of figuring to make sure that the load resistors and load driver were installed properly so they dont get damaged by anything. Cause I dont plan on going back to the bird wing style head turn signals, I salvaged the pig tail. Soldered those in and shrink tubed them. Pics below to show how well they came out.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg

Nice Job, well done.

I don't like the load resistors, so I used a different relay instead, which was plug and play.

Hello there, probably a dumb question, but it looks like the halo lights are white for driving and then turn to yellow only when when using turn signals. Is that correct? Also did you have to remove your OEM turn signals or did you opt to remove them?

Thanks for your time.

Yes, I‘ll share the result of the kit.

yep, it was expensive, and in truth I probably paid a lot for the little I didn’t know.

Pig, what size halos’s did you use?

how did you mount them?

does the driver allow them to run white as driving and flash yellow as turn? And did it come with the halos?

Yes, I‘ll share the result of the kit.

yep, it was expensive, and in truth I probably paid a lot for the little I didn’t know.

Pig, what size halos’s did you use?

how did you mount them?

does the driver allow them to run white as driving and flash yellow as turn? And did it come with the halos?

Upper halo, 80mm Lower halo 70mm. Like some have said, there are 2 different places you can get the halos....USA and China. When I was looking, no USA halos were available. So, I got the China ones. The driver was included and if you wire them properly, will have the whites as runners and the ambers as turn. Since I was not too worried about salvaging the the bird wing turn signals that were originally on the front, I cut the harness as far up as I could. That way, I can build my harness for a plug and play set up.

Now someone stated that they dont like load resistors. I agree with that sentiment as well. However, my electronic relay that I was using for the rear integrated turn/brake light did not like having all LEDs in all corners. The fronts would blink normally, but the rear was playing hell with the turn signal and brake lights. Now....it is very well possible that the electronic flasher I had was simply not up to the task. Another brand may have very well worked. So....since my electronic flasher did not work does not mean all will not work. Regardless, I had 3 load resistors already. I did a quick test on rears and one front, solved all my problems. So, I bought another box, did the last front and have what I have.

How I mounted mine....Well....thats a bit of a tough one.....The 70mm halo is a drop in perfect fit. No monkeying around with that one other than the small hole to pass the wiring through. The upper scoop hole is actually 78mm. The 80mm will not fit right in. When I did my research, I found that someone had spacers made to adapt the sizes. Since I have no faith in any postal system to send stuff in a reasonable time, I opted to make my own. Now I dont own a machine shop or lathe. I do have dremels, sandpaper, files and patience though. I have this kind of "super epoxy". 3M 04747. Working time of about 30 seconds, sets up under 5 minutes, full cure in about an hour. I made a mold that gave me my diameter of 78mm. Once it was cured, I cut, shaped, smoothed, and painted(Cause it cures offwhite). I then simply epoxied everything to the scoops. My upper halos, I pitched slightly upward for a bit more forward light when dark.

Mounting the drivers and resistors was easy. Inside their respective scoop near the top leading edge is where they cleared everything for me. Wiring was fed through the frame holes on each side and plugged in to each of their own slots. Wiring was soldered and heat shrinked with sealant in the heat shrink. When mocking the halos up, I did not like the glare look that was coming off the screens. So I removed the screens from the scoops but kept the louvre plastic that everything is mounted to.

As for how reliable this set up will be....anyones guess. However, yesterday, I was out on the Gen 2 for a ride, last leg of my ride, I was caught in a supercell. To say torrential is an understatement. Ended up hailing(twice the size of a pea) that forced me to stop as getting pelted with hail that big hurts. Through that driving rain, hail, cold and previously heat of the day, they are still holding up. No loose components, no adverse operation, no breaks, chips or damage. The bike was up and running yesterday prior to that incident for 530 miles(approximately 8 hours-numerous fuel stops).

In the end....I think what I did was a good torture test. Long hours in the heat. Sudden cold, excessive water....cant call it moisture at this point....and ice. Will my results be yours....no. Will your results be mine....no. Patience is key. I am sure a bought and paid for plug and play unit would have been installed in a fraction of the time I spent. But depending on what I am doing, I will invest my time. For my particular install, about 3 hours including finishing the upper halo mounts and figuring out the flasher business. I may end up trying different electronic flashers in the future to get rid of the resistors. But am unsure at this point. I am of the mindset, if it works, leave it alone.

When I purchased my 2009 Vmax back in 2010 the previous owner installed an aftermarket rear license plate assemble that had intergraded LED turn signals. He also installed this flasher relay from Custom LED.
https://www.customled.com/products/elfr-1-electronic-led-flasher-relayI did not like the aftermarket rear license plate so I went back to the stock rear licenses plate assemble.
Although it showed me that the flasher relay works with the stock or LED rear turn signals.

Now I do not have the halos but I am considering trying them. And I am not saying this relay will work if you have the LED halos & LED rear turn signals. But for $20.00 it might be an option to try instead of load resisters.

Upper halo, 80mm Lower halo 70mm. Like some have said, there are 2 different places you can get the halos....USA and China. When I was looking, no USA halos were available. So, I got the China ones. The driver was included and if you wire them properly, will have the whites as runners and the ambers as turn. Since I was not too worried about salvaging the the bird wing turn signals that were originally on the front, I cut the harness as far up as I could. That way, I can build my harness for a plug and play set up.

Now someone stated that they dont like load resistors. I agree with that sentiment as well. However, my electronic relay that I was using for the rear integrated turn/brake light did not like having all LEDs in all corners. The fronts would blink normally, but the rear was playing hell with the turn signal and brake lights. Now....it is very well possible that the electronic flasher I had was simply not up to the task. Another brand may have very well worked. So....since my electronic flasher did not work does not mean all will not work. Regardless, I had 3 load resistors already. I did a quick test on rears and one front, solved all my problems. So, I bought another box, did the last front and have what I have.

How I mounted mine....Well....thats a bit of a tough one.....The 70mm halo is a drop in perfect fit. No monkeying around with that one other than the small hole to pass the wiring through. The upper scoop hole is actually 78mm. The 80mm will not fit right in. When I did my research, I found that someone had spacers made to adapt the sizes. Since I have no faith in any postal system to send stuff in a reasonable time, I opted to make my own. Now I dont own a machine shop or lathe. I do have dremels, sandpaper, files and patience though. I have this kind of "super epoxy". 3M 04747. Working time of about 30 seconds, sets up under 5 minutes, full cure in about an hour. I made a mold that gave me my diameter of 78mm. Once it was cured, I cut, shaped, smoothed, and painted(Cause it cures offwhite). I then simply epoxied everything to the scoops. My upper halos, I pitched slightly upward for a bit more forward light when dark.

Mounting the drivers and resistors was easy. Inside their respective scoop near the top leading edge is where they cleared everything for me. Wiring was fed through the frame holes on each side and plugged in to each of their own slots. Wiring was soldered and heat shrinked with sealant in the heat shrink. When mocking the halos up, I did not like the glare look that was coming off the screens. So I removed the screens from the scoops but kept the louvre plastic that everything is mounted to.

As for how reliable this set up will be....anyones guess. However, yesterday, I was out on the Gen 2 for a ride, last leg of my ride, I was caught in a supercell. To say torrential is an understatement. Ended up hailing(twice the size of a pea) that forced me to stop as getting pelted with hail that big hurts. Through that driving rain, hail, cold and previously heat of the day, they are still holding up. No loose components, no adverse operation, no breaks, chips or damage. The bike was up and running yesterday prior to that incident for 530 miles(approximately 8 hours-numerous fuel stops).

In the end....I think what I did was a good torture test. Long hours in the heat. Sudden cold, excessive water....cant call it moisture at this point....and ice. Will my results be yours....no. Will your results be mine....no. Patience is key. I am sure a bought and paid for plug and play unit would have been installed in a fraction of the time I spent. But depending on what I am doing, I will invest my time. For my particular install, about 3 hours including finishing the upper halo mounts and figuring out the flasher business. I may end up trying different electronic flashers in the future to get rid of the resistors. But am unsure at this point. I am of the mindset, if it works, leave it alone.
Great write up. Thanks for taking the time to tell us about it!

Very nice gentlemen! My kit is here, let’s see how soon I get to install it all.

Although it showed me that the flasher relay works with the stock or LED rear turn signals.

But for $20.00 it might be an option to try instead of load resisters.

There are 2 pin electronic flasher relays for around $3, example below.

I have a few of them (there is a reason why so many ) , they work with LED lamps but do not turn off completely - I'm curious as to whether the relay you refer to does?

Screenshot_20210607-203902.jpg

02GF74 I'm not sure what you mean by turn off completely. If you are referring to self cancelling the relay I have does not.

Back