hanging idle help needed

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiefP

Reaction score
Hello all, my new to me 05 has a problem with hanging idle between shifts and on slow downs. It actually even revs higher in between 1 - 2 shifts. When I got it (4k on the clock), it had one of those throttle locks on it, which I assumed was the culprit, took it off and threw it in the trash. No change. And the throttle is snapping back fine with just a small amount of slack.

I put cobra pipes on this weekend (for the sound until I can buy full system) and it's obviously much more notciable since I can hear it better. I've had other V4s (V65, ZL1000) but the max almost seems like a v twin at idle?

I read and searched and there's not much I found for a hanging idle except for a syncing the carbs suggestion. Any other ideas or things I should look at? thanks.

Hmm the Vmax shouldnt sound like a twin...if its sync'd and everything is good...it should sound like a V-8 with a bit of a cam in it. I had an issue similar to that, and it was the E-clip on the right front carb (for the choke) had come loose, and so after a while, the choke would engage its self a bit.

From here:
http://www.vmaxoutlaw.com/tech/cv_carb_tuning.htm

NOTE: A lean problem gets better as the engine heats up.
  • If the throttle is lightly "blipped" at idle, and the rpm "hangs up" before dropping to the set idle speed, and there are no intake leaks and the idle speed is set at less than 1000 rpm, the mixture screws are probably too lean: try 1/2 turn out, to richen mixture. Be sure there are no intake leaks and the idle speed is set at less than 1000 rpm!
So I'd guess that either you have a Vacuum leak somewhere or your A/F Screws are set too lean.

Hello all, my new to me 05 has a problem with hanging idle between shifts and on slow downs. It actually even revs higher in between 1 - 2 shifts. When I got it (4k on the clock), it had one of those throttle locks on it, which I assumed was the culprit, took it off and threw it in the trash. No change. And the throttle is snapping back fine with just a small amount of slack.

I put cobra pipes on this weekend (for the sound until I can buy full system) and it's obviously much more notciable since I can hear it better. I've had other V4s (V65, ZL1000) but the max almost seems like a v twin at idle?

I read and searched and there's not much I found for a hanging idle except for a syncing the carbs suggestion. Any other ideas or things I should look at? thanks.

I had a similar problem last summer. I hadn't ridden my bike all year but started it weekly thinking that would keep the carbs clean. WRONG. I had that hanging idle (throttle) and tried the Pea shooter and Shotgun, after all that failed, I figured it was something in the idle circuit not letting it idle properly. I also noticed I had to run a little choke to keep it running when I stopped or it would fall dead. It also seemes like it was running on 3 cylinders. End of story, I took the carb rack off and cleaned them totally and the bike runs like new again. Idling and rumbling like a small block V8 with a big ass cam!

So I'd guess that either you have a Vacuum leak somewhere or your A/F Screws are set too lean.
i am thinking the same. here's my story. http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=27620. my problem wasn't at all the same, well as far as how the symptoms are aggravated, but the symptoms do seem to resemble each other. i smoked out the vaccuum leak in my #3 AFR chamber, which seemingly brought about an occassional lean condition

I had a similar problem last summer. I hadn't ridden my bike all year but started it weekly thinking that would keep the carbs clean. WRONG. I had that hanging idle (throttle) and tried the Pea shooter and Shotgun, after all that failed, I figured it was something in the idle circuit not letting it idle properly. I also noticed I had to run a little choke to keep it running when I stopped or it would fall dead. It also seems like it was running on 3 cylinders. End of story, I took the carb rack off and cleaned them totally and the bike runs like new again. Idling and rumbling like a small block V8 with a big ass cam!

Same for me. When I had the problem, a complete removal and cleaning of the carbs fixed it.

Thanks all for the feedback. Guess since the bike is so clean, I was thinking it's new...but it's 8 years old and as you pointed out...probably not run/ridden like it should have been. It was serviced at a dealer in AZ less than 2 months ago though....

Read the cobra pipes are supposed to make it run richer, so if it's a lean condition, it should have gotten a little better with the pipe install?

I pulled the carbs off of my ZL1000 (what an incredible PITA) so I guess I'll be learning to wrench on this one too, but it sure looks much earier (and losts of good info/how to!).

My issues were a sticky slides and throttle not returning back fast enough,due to cable also.
So chg that and cleaning carbs totally fixed it,was mostly dirty slides and getting idle sync correct cured my issues

Back