Hardware needed?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
I need to get new bolts for my muffler mounts. While I'm ordering, I figure I might as well get some of the other bolts that may be an issue. Anyone know what size bolts are needed for the following items?:

Muffler mounts
Diaphram covers
Fuel Bowls

Anything else that is commonly an issue to remove besides the diaphram and fuel bowl screws?

The only way I know to find the answer is for me to physically take the suff apart and measure. I was hoping to avoid that. Thinking that some of you on here have gone this route already and know what works.

I need to get new bolts for my muffler mounts. While I'm ordering, I figure I might as well get some of the other bolts that may be an issue. Anyone know what size bolts are needed for the following items?:

Muffler mounts
Diaphram covers
Fuel Bowls

Anything else that is commonly an issue to remove besides the diaphram and fuel bowl screws?

The only way I know to find the answer is for me to physically take the suff apart and measure. I was hoping to avoid that. Thinking that some of you on here have gone this route already and know what works.

Pop one of each and hit up your local hardware or fastener store. I wish I could help you with the sizes I didn't look them up. what I did was hand them off to the guy behind the counter at Denali Fasteners (Ive also used Sentury Hardware) up here and he returned with the new allen screws to replace the stockers.

I normally plan a time to remove the bolts, put them in baggies labeled with where it goes and how many I need then head off to the Fastenal store to have them fill out the order.
You also can go to Mike Sayers website and order groups of SS bolts specifically for the Vmax. They will come in plastic bags pre-labeled for their intended use. He does not have every bolt/ nut/ screw caps/ rubber plug needed so you will have to fill in the rest on your own. Mike is also the VMOA membership coordinator.
SS is not cheap so it probably will be something you do over time anyways. Hopefully you can find a supplier that will let you buy just what you need and not have to buy a bag of 25 when you only need 5. Don't forget to get any threadlocker, antisieze, washers, nut, or special tool to make the instalation go smoothly.

Diaphram cover screws are 5mm x 13mm x .80 pitch. I THINK the bowl screws are the same, but I can't swear to it. I replaced my diaphram cover screws with hex heads last year. Not enough clearance for the same on the float bowl.

Diaphram cover screws are 5mm x 13mm x .80 pitch. I THINK the bowl screws are the same, but I can't swear to it. I replaced my diaphram cover screws with hex heads last year. Not enough clearance for the same on the float bowl.

I got diaphram hex head ss screws at the local Ace Hdwr. They have a bunch of little trays with all different sized ss screws, just bring one of what you need, match the threads by placing one on top of the other (facing in opposite directions). Hold them up to a light to make sure the threads match perfectly. Select the proper length, and you're all set!

Thanks Rich, that sounds right. I was doing some research on here and found a few mention that the size is in the part #. I took the info you mentioned and compared. Here is the part # for diaphram screws.
97801-05012-00. I believe the middle portion is what to look at. 05 is 5mm. 012 is 12mm long? Seems like that may work.

Looking at the fische, it appers that the float bowl and diaphram covers are the same part # (item 6 on the fische). It shows you need 7 screws for one carb. The 8th screw is the security torx on the diaphram cover (item 5 on the fische)

In looking at the part # for the muffler bolt it is
90105-10271-00 . I have a hard time believing that bolt is 271 mm long. It seems as though the part # theory may not work for everything. Check out part # 46 and 47 on the attached fische

Attachments

• Exhaust.pdf
    127.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Carburetor.pdf
    181.5 KB · Views: 2
Muffler bolts are 10x1.25, I think. Seems like an odd pitch but it match up with that size in my tap kit?
Length is 40mm

Last edited:
I got diaphram hex head ss screws at the local Ace Hdwr. They have a bunch of little trays with all different sized ss screws, just bring one of what you need, match the threads by placing one on top of the other (facing in opposite directions). Hold them up to a light to make sure the threads match perfectly. Select the proper length, and you're all set!

to be extra sure i usually find a nut that matches the current thread and then work from there...

Back