Harness burnt, i feel like shit ...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diablotin

Reaction score
I wanted to finish what I started : putting back my headlight with a relay setup.
I was not in a hurry but even if I was sick I just wanted to spend few hours on it tonight.

I finally finished making a dual relay setup for my projector headlight and decided to put it on the bike. I started by doing the crimp fix which didn't take me so long.
I started to unplug the battery completely (ground first and +12V0 and started.
After the fix, i started to plug back the battery. +12 first then the ground on the battery (frame ground wasn't plug yet).
That's when it happened.... I started to see smoke coming from the front...
The ground of the headlight was melting big time. I rushed disconnecting the battery but too late, damage was done. Afterward I noticed the relay kit was plug on the headlight, maybe not connected properly on the h4 socket.

All fuses are all good, only the ground burnt but since it was with the other wires a good part of the harness got damaged.

No need to tell I feel like shit right now, really don't know what happened.
I guess I made a mistake or I forgot something.

Anyway now I need a new harness for a 89 model.
Where should I look ? all models before 92 will be compatible ?

fuck, fuck, fuck !!!!!!!!!!!!!:bang head::bang head::bang head:

Usually you can pull all the wires apart and rewire as needed. I've done this a TON when I was a certified welder repair tech. You'd have 30 or 40 wires all melted together. Ugh...

Good luck!

Chris

I wanted to finish what I started : putting back my headlight with a relay setup.
I was not in a hurry but even if I was sick I just wanted to spend few hours on it tonight.

I finally finished making a dual relay setup for my projector headlight and decided to put it on the bike. I started by doing the crimp fix which didn't take me so long.
I started to unplug the battery completely (ground first and +12V0 and started.
After the fix, i started to plug back the battery. +12 first then the ground on the battery (frame ground wasn't plug yet).
That's when it happened.... I started to see smoke coming from the front...
The ground of the headlight was melting big time. I rushed disconnecting the battery but too late, damage was done. Afterward I noticed the relay kit was plug on the headlight, maybe not connected properly on the h4 socket.

All fuses are all good, only the ground burnt but since it was with the other wires a good part of the harness got damaged.

No need to tell I feel like shit right now, really don't know what happened.
I guess I made a mistake or I forgot something.

Anyway now I need a new harness for a 89 model.
Where should I look ? all models before 92 will be compatible ?

fuck, fuck, fuck !!!!!!!!!!!!!:bang head::bang head::bang head:

Sorry to hear that. I think Ya need a good electrican.

Im sure harness could be repair.

I'm always cautious touching the harness but this time I didn't see it coming and it was too fast...
From what I saw, the last meter going to the headlight is dead (headlight and turn signals).
I'm checking already to find a second hand one in a good shape, else I will check to find a good electrician who could rebuild the harness, at least a part of it.

Repair is easier than replacement of complete harness, as long as burnt wires is isolated to the headlight area only.

I know how you feel - I once built ground up a 1967 HD Pan/Shovel Head, complete custom. The bike was basically finished when I decided to used a deferent tank and had a mobile welder co. weld a couple of brackets to fit the new tank. I didn't notice that he burnt the main power wire to the key.

When the bike was totally finished, I took a bunch of pics, than turn the key to start the bike for the first time and pretty much the complete wire harness went up in smoke.

Had to make a new wire harness, strip half the bike back apart to remove old one and install the new one.

Worst part is I had about a dozen people standing watching when I first went to start the bike ( the "great" unvailing) and they seen it go up in smoke.

Just chalk it up to - shit happens - and move on to getting it fixed.

Mike

85-89 Harness. I probably have one around but it may be not that bad to repair it. Should have only smoked the light circuit. My website has diagrams you can download and use.
Sean

Repair is easier than replacement of complete harness, as long as burnt wires is isolated to the headlight area only.

I know how you feel - I once built ground up a 1967 HD Pan/Shovel Head, complete custom. The bike was basically finished when I decided to used a deferent tank and had a mobile welder co. weld a couple of brackets to fit the new tank. I didn't notice that he burnt the main power wire to the key.

When the bike was totally finished, I took a bunch of pics, than turn the key to start the bike for the first time and pretty much the complete wire harness went up in smoke.

Had to make a new wire harness, strip half the bike back apart to remove old one and install the new one.

Worst part is I had about a dozen people standing watching when I first went to start the bike ( the "great" unvailing) and they seen it go up in smoke.

Just chalk it up to - shit happens - and move on to getting it fixed.

Mike

lol exactly the feeling.
Same setup except I was alone and I even turned it on :bang head:

yeah I guess u're right guys it can be repaired. I guess I was so frustrated I just needed to scream how stupid I was :)

The headlight part is not that complicated, I will check tomorrow with a clear mind how bad it is and to see if I will need help or not to repair it.
Just hope it's only the headlight part, cross fingers ...

I have the diagrams in the clymer I guess it's good already but else tnx sean I will check yours.

Thinking about it I guess I know where it comes from.
I'm still wondering why I did wire the ground of the headlight to the one of the relay...

I got spare harnesses ready to use or rape it for parts. Yeah I think I am with the guys to re-splice in what you need and not mess with a full harness replacement.I guess this is warning to all of who mess with our wiring and the potential for "uh ohs". I wired in a LED license plate and "poofed" the wires at the light and blew the main. How the hell do you mess up three wires?!

I was under a guys car on Tuesday welding because he had a loose heat shield. Thank fully I remembered to remove the negative cable end. Also found that it had the most corrosion I'd EVER seen on a battery. It looked like a green snow ball! lol

Chris

I removed the airbox, remove the tap on the harness to check the damages.
As Sean was saying, it burnt the wire going to headlight, speedo and turn signals.
Less than 10 wires to extend and I will be good.
Going to the harware store to see if I can find the corresponding colors.

I feel little bit better hehe

Done fixing the harness, it's all clean now.
I'm kinda apprehensive about powering up now.
I guess it will do that before putting back electrical tape hahaha.

Knock on wood :)

If ther's a way to screw something up then I 've probably done it. But I don' t let it get me down. Instead I continue on screwing up even easier things.

Done fixing the harness, it's all clean now.
I'm kinda apprehensive about powering up now.
I guess it will do that before putting back electrical tape hahaha.

Knock on wood :)

Just make sure to have an electrical fire extinguisher handy, and be ready to pull the + off the battery LOL

I'm sure you'll be fine! Just like it on the safe side with electrics, I've seen one of those go off in one of my cars a long time ago. That was a helluva lot of smoke in a very very short time ;-)

Everything back to stock and working, and no fire lol !!! HIYA !!!
Just spent 3h since the headlight and the dashboard light was not working.
I checked the wires but nothing was wrong.
I was about to give up when I noticed there was a wrong contact with the start switch.
So now the bikes starts and everything seems smooth.

Tomorrow, I put back the relay kit ...

Back