Headlight not working, bulb and fuse are good - FIXED

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeus36

Reaction score
1997 Vmax - I installed a headlight cut off switch some years ago. Started the bike and switched on the headlight, but no low or high beam. Pulled the bulb and checked the fuse, both were good. Checked my installed cut off switch for continuity (it's in the headlight ground wire) and it was working. No power to the low or high beam wires at the headlight connector. All other lights working, horn good, turn signals OK, brake lamp working, all fuses checked good.

I remembered 2 weeks ago, my starter button stuck on and kept cranking until I thumbed it back to normally open position.

Since there is a headlight cutoff circuit in the starter switch, I manipulated the switch with the key on, kill switch off, and the headlight started working.

Ignition switch off, opened the right control pod and sprayed some DeoxIT D5 electrical cleaner inside the starter switch, thumbed the switch a dozen times and used compressed air to blow out the residual D5 into a rag.

Problem solved.

1710627428427.png

Back