Heat deflector? removal?? OK???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

06VMAXIMUS

Reaction score
I removed the front rubber heat deflector from my bike so that I could mount flexible LED light strips along the frame rails. The front piece goes between the radiator and the front cylinders/faux tank. I also removed the rear plastic one that snaps onto the valve cover bolts. My question is if this will effect anything?? Does Yamaha install these to keep the heat away from the rider...or to keep dirt/road grime off the top of the engine? I hope they weren't too important, and I figure if anybody knows---one of the gurus on this site will!! Thanks in advance.

I removed the front rubber heat deflector from my bike so that I could mount flexible LED light strips along the frame rails. The front piece goes between the radiator and the front cylinders/faux tank. I also removed the rear plastic one that snaps onto the valve cover bolts. My question is if this will effect anything?? Does Yamaha install these to keep the heat away from the rider...or to keep dirt/road grime off the top of the engine? I hope they weren't too important, and I figure if anybody knows---one of the gurus on this site will!! Thanks in advance.

Been running without mine, no noticable effects. I've also seen several without them too.

Good news! I was a little worried after I removed them....I wasn"t sure if Yamaha put them there for a reason, or if they were just using them to fill the open space between the engine and frame. There is quite a large gap there when you remove the front one--you can see straight through the bike. Gonna take some getting use to, I guess.

I thought they were heat shields to protect electrical components and the like above the motor.

Sure the rear one helps keeping yer bollox cool in the summer too :)

They are definitely a preventative measure to keep the heat of the electrical and riders but they dont hurt anything to run without.

Back