hello from OZ

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davesmith546

Reaction score
hi all,im new here and new to vmaxes
i have wanted a max for many years and have finally found one
im told its a 1990 model but looking at it it seems like an older one,it has the cast wheels,it makes the v boost noise when switched on so i assume its full power (please correct me if im off track) 33000 miles on the clock (assuming its an import cos clocks here are in kph.
attached is a photo for your comments, bike is in need of a little tlc but im ok with that, after seeing some of the bikes on this forum it seems there arent too many limits to what can be done

thanks for a great forum

cheers
dave

Attachments

• 1990 vmax.jpg
    1990 vmax.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 40
welcome, looks like wheels from an 85 or 86 appears to be in "un-molested" condition LOL ! dont worry though get ready you probably will get bitten by the "MOD MONKEY" real soon ! their are lots of wonderfull people here, im sure you will get lots of info as to the year ect.. on your fine purchase ! again welcome to the forum !

The year along with other info should be on sticker on the steering neck. Welcome to the forum.

The front wheel you have is something I just picked up for either my 89 or my 94... It's a sought after addition. No matter what year VMax, just so it runs good. Congrats on joining the best VMax forum...

Appears to be an 85. That color paint was one of two colors available. The 1990 had a color that appeared to be mostly black but with blue metal flake in it.

The wheels are of course the obvious indicator but they could have been changed. The front wheel was shared from the 1985 and 1986 models. The rear wheel you have is 1985 only. Again these could be easily swapped out.

A detail I see that leads me to think it's an 85 is the foot pegs. They are the square design from 1985 that changed in 1986 to what you currently see (the more tapered coffin shaped peg).

Finally the silver accent color on the engine parts are also an indicator of the early bikes. I can't remember the year they went to gold accents (they switch to black then grey as the years went on).

Add all that up and I am confident you have an 85 model.

Sean

Looks like a 85 to me, I have one exactly like it. Paid $4900.00 cash out the stealer ship door in 86. If the price is right , buy it. Make sure it doesn't have no carb issues, that can be one of the most costly expenses the owner would encounter during a simple tune-up. I have seen members post prices up to $700.00 for a carb (4) rebuild and sync job. I have had many years of trouble free service from mine, not sorry of the purchase I made and would do it again. I think the bike you are looking at looks great, if the price is right and it runs good, GET IT !!!

Last edited:
hi all,im new here and new to vmaxes
i have wanted a max for many years and have finally found one
im told its a 1990 model but looking at it it seems like an older one,it has the cast wheels,it makes the v boost noise when switched on so i assume its full power (please correct me if im off track) 33000 miles on the clock (assuming its an import cos clocks here are in kph.
attached is a photo for your comments, bike is in need of a little tlc but im ok with that, after seeing some of the bikes on this forum it seems there arent too many limits to what can be done

thanks for a great forum

cheers
dave

Just take off the left scoop, if the vboost control box is there you're sure

Appears to be an 85. That color paint was one of two colors available. The 1990 had a color that appeared to be mostly black but with blue metal flake in it.
Sean

I really like the 90 paint. Sorta like a midnight, metallic blue. Dad bought a new one in 90. I guess it left an impression on me.

Latest posts

Back