Hello to all V4Heads!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spencervolk

Reaction score
Just got another VMax....owned an 85 about 18 yrs ago.since then owned cbr1000,3-v65 magnas,2-v65 sabres,1100 gsxr,kz1100shaftie...had a niiice gold wing in my sights,rode it......(yawn)....so comfy,bells and whistles,seating for two,stereo and intercom etc.etc....but no fun to pilot.....no adrenaline leeching capabilities here,'cept when you roll into a turn too sharp and drag meaty metal down below...y'know?A bandit 1200s came up next....nice do it all bike with balls....no vboost(sigh)Then cometh the Venture....niiice..castrated vmax motor dammit and waaay too top heavy....ah shoot...now what?...hey...hey,look 89 vmax in durham for 1800....hmmmmm....looks ok....
It looks around and sees nothing to be done on honeydew list,it grabs the mazda key,,,,and it slips out the door, durham-bound....the quest for the holy VMax starts.......and ends 2 hours later when I drove it home with just one issue....radiator is toast....might fix,might get new...I like the big gsxr curved one out there....wish i could find a website that can tell ya what parts can fit on what bikes...ex:will gold wing rear rim work on vmax?...um...will these forks on a suzuki work on a.....vmax...ypu get my drift?..........Think I'll end this verbal fodder for now.
I have been turning wrenches professionally for mazda,kawasaki,suzuki and toyota for 27 bloody years...still fun to do.If I can be of any help,please dont hesitate to email...i might be of some assistance....I'l be needing you guys too now that I got another Beast.Oh,by the way,what made me slap my cash down for this 89 was......you can ride this thing around town and it just behaves just as docile as can be....but when you just wanna get a burst o' quickie juice,drop it back a gear and smile...Jeckle and Hyde bike.....Peace,Spencer

Welcome ! I have a good radiator here that I would let go reasonable

Kyle is a good person to do-business with, and I can affirm he's honest and ethical. The guys w/several thousand posts are the ones who are trusted to do what they say.

I wouldn't change the radiator if your bike is standard/stock, you don't need it, and it saves you the fitment hassles. The stock one in good shape will serve you well. I'd replace it w/a good used one, and don't look-back.

I am gonna suggest you read RaWarrior's thread, it will answer a lot of questions about your bike, and since you are mentioning the radiator, I suggest you investigate #15, where you can, as-you say, 'switch-out a part for another,' from another application, where the replacement may give you a better function than you have now.
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=21240&highlight=questions

And here's one on replacing your trouble-prone, overheating voltage regulator w/a much-more efficient MOSFET one:

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=19108&highlight=questions

All you have to-do is ask, and chances are, someone, somewhere in the VMax land, has had that exact same problem, and is willing to share their knowledge. There are plenty of people selling parts, and you can upgrade your ride for cheap by some judicious shopping.

Now for my recommendation:
to make what I believe the #1 choice in 'fixing' your ride, get a modded rear wheel which allows you to ride on a 17" or 18" radial, (you can re-use your front wheel fitted w/a narrow 18" radial, not the optimum width, but still a great improvement over the stock bias-ply) and solve all-sorts of issues w/your ride. The 1993+ bikes have a 43 mm downtube instead of a 40 mm downtube, and it allows the use of either R-1 or late FZR 750/1000 (three opposed pistons, six total!) calipers w/100 mm o.c. spacing, which, when coupled w/HH pads and SS brake lines, will make your bike behave like another animal. Replace the steering head bearings w/tapered units, All-Balls has them. Progressive Suspension or Race-Tech front springs and RICOR Intiminators (re-valving for the fork to wave-washers) or Gold Cartridge fork kits, doing a similar job, will greatly-increase your fork function. My advice is to forget doing any mods to your stock 40 mm downtubes and to go to the 43 mm 1993+ version. A pair of good shocks in the rear, and you've got the suspension covered.

You have a bike ripe for modding, and your wallet is the only limit.:punk:

Welcome to the forum where all your questions can be found and the answers provided. Archives are full of it , so to speak. :punk:

Spencer, great intro to us all. Sounds like you are really heeled about your "new" Max. Of course we are nosy and what pics of your find! Wrenching experience will help you trend puddly but this Forum is King for info. Don't forget to score a manual if you don't have one already.

Welcome to the forum. Great people who have helped me in every question I have asked. Only people here that really care and will help you.

Just got another VMax....owned an 85 about 18 yrs ago.since then owned cbr1000,3-v65 magnas,2-v65 sabres,1100 gsxr,kz1100shaftie...had a niiice gold wing in my sights,rode it......(yawn)....so comfy,bells and whistles,seating for two,stereo and intercom etc.etc....but no fun to pilot.....no adrenaline leeching capabilities here,'cept when you roll into a turn too sharp and drag meaty metal down below...y'know?A bandit 1200s came up next....nice do it all bike with balls....no vboost(sigh)Then cometh the Venture....niiice..castrated vmax motor dammit and waaay too top heavy....ah shoot...now what?...hey...hey,look 89 vmax in durham for 1800....hmmmmm....looks ok....
It looks around and sees nothing to be done on honeydew list,it grabs the mazda key,,,,and it slips out the door, durham-bound....the quest for the holy VMax starts.......and ends 2 hours later when I drove it home with just one issue....radiator is toast....might fix,might get new...I like the big gsxr curved one out there....wish i could find a website that can tell ya what parts can fit on what bikes...ex:will gold wing rear rim work on vmax?...um...will these forks on a suzuki work on a.....vmax...ypu get my drift?..........Think I'll end this verbal fodder for now.
I have been turning wrenches professionally for mazda,kawasaki,suzuki and toyota for 27 bloody years...still fun to do.If I can be of any help,please dont hesitate to email...i might be of some assistance....I'l be needing you guys too now that I got another Beast.Oh,by the way,what made me slap my cash down for this 89 was......you can ride this thing around town and it just behaves just as docile as can be....but when you just wanna get a burst o' quickie juice,drop it back a gear and smile...Jeckle and Hyde bike.....Peace,Spencer

That's how i've always described mine all these years.................

Latest posts

Back