help - a year to rebuild and now it wont idle.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t3ttp

Reaction score
i had the 2nd gear issue. i took the engine out and gave it to a friend to rebuild the tranny with a used but clean tranny. after a year, i got it back. i spent the last month putting the whole thing together. the bike started up fine but needed the choke for at least 10 minutes before it would idle on its own. i started her up today and she would not idle after 10 minutes without the choke. the temp read-out was still on low. i stopped her then tried to restart and she would not start up. i was able to start her up by reeving the throttle but that was it. she would not start up again. i did not even get a chance to check if the tranny was fixed. not sure if the temp was working correctly, ,aybe i overheated her without knowing it. there was no smoke of anykind. help please - 2000 vmax - stock with 43k.

Bad gas?

Most likely gunk built up someplace and hit every small port in the carbs. You can try doing the SHOTGUN PROCEEDURE on your carbs to clear them. There's a complete thread around here someplace to assist in that proceedure. If I had to guess, I'd say you will most likely end up pulling those carbs back off and going through them. Not a huge ordeal considering you have the wherewithal to completely remove and re-install the motor.

more likeky is your fuel system. check your fuel filter if it is clean, if your carbs were opened and serviced check your ,dont know if i write it right, big black underpressure rubbers if they are installed correctly. if all this are ok , before tearing apart your carbs, remove the air fuel screw (the ones that are under the round caps left and right of the bike ,the ones that have inside the big black rubbers i was talking about, and force compressed air. i had some problems like this and doing that if rubbish are on the ideal jet goes away and fix this problem.

Back