Help...newbie question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zexus

Reaction score
No sure if this should be in this forum or another...sorry if it should be in carbs or general.
So I started my bike this morning. Put choke on full, turned the key, waited for the v-boost to make its check and pushed the start button. Zoom...the engine fired up and ran for about 10 seconds and then it slowly started to slow the revs and then stalled. Tried to start it again but just wouldn't start. Tried a few more times with the choke off, thinking I flooded; no start. Took the car to work. After work came home and gave it another try. This time when I turned the key I heard a very fast clicking noise along with the v-boost noise. The clicking lasted only a few seconds and then it slowed and stopped. The bike started but with a little hesitation. Shut it off and tried again. Turned the key and heard that clicking again...this time only a few clicks and then it stopped. Bike started up no problem. Ran the same routine a few more times but never heard the clicking again.
Two questions, do you think the engine was flooded (choke on too much?) and that caused the stall? Second question, what the heck was the clicking?

The clicking is the fuel pump. Shine a flashlight into the gas tank and check level. How many miles on this tank of gas? Is the low fuel light on? What position is the fuel switch on the handlebar?

I filled up the tank right to the top the night before , so it was completely full. Fuel light was not on and the fuel switch was in the on position. Do you think the fuel pump is bad? Is it possible that the choke flooded the engine?

I had the same problem when I bought my '88 last summer (7k miles) The gas tank was corroded and had clogged the fuel filter. Drained and flushed the gas tank and replaced the filter and all has been good since (11.5k miles)

As Mark mentioned, the clicking sound when you turn the key on is the fuel pump filling the carbs fuel bowls. If the engine is not running the fuel pump shuts off at a set amount of seconds which means if the fuel bowls were empty it did not completely fill the bowls. In fact it may take a few key on sequences to fill the bowls. Once the bowls are full turning on the key you will only get the whirring of the vboost check, no fuel pump clicking since the bowls are full.
So, is the bike running properly now? Or is it still stalling?

Ya, it seems to be running fine now. Don't hear any of that clicking anymore. It only happened that one time and then the second time for a couple of clicks and then stopped. Tried a few things to try to get the stalling to happen again so I could figure out the issue. I discovered that if I push the choke down really far the bike wont start (to much gas). Only have to put it down half way or a little more. Starting to think that I flooded the engine with the choke and then somehow caused the bowls to run low, in my panic to get it running...hence the clicking pump. I have only had the bike for a little while and still getting to know its quirks. If it happens again you guys will be the first to know:) Thanks everyone.

Try starting it with-out the choke first, if it don't fire right away gradually use the choke until you find your bikes sweet spot for cold starts. Your starting issues sound normal to me, I have over choked mine in the past with the same results you have described. Once you figure out the starting characteristics of your bike you will figure out the choke position you need, if any.

Well it happened again this morning. After abut 1 minute (while the bike was warming up) the engine died. When I came home from work I gave it another couple tries and it wouldn't start. I then opened up the tank and looked inside to make sure there was fuel. When I open the tank there was a lot of air suction and when I checked inside the top 1/2 inch of the sensor was sticking out of the fuel, but there was still plenty of gas. I replaced the gas cap and gave the engine another try. This time when I turned the ignition I heart the clicking of the fuel pump filling the bowls. I recall that I didn't hear the clicking that morning when I initially started the bike, nor was the clicking sound there the first time this happened. So therefore, I think that either the fuel pump is going or there is an issue with the sensor that identifies low gas, by turning the low fuel light on and cutting out the pump (low fuel light does not come on). Now this is all just a newbies thought so I could be way out in left field on this. Thoughts would be appreciated.

Sounds like the fuel tank vent is blocked. It runs down in front of the battery and ends down by the oil pan. There is a check valve in there. Pull the line and clean it up, clean up the check valve, and make sure you can blow air thru it.

If there is a rush of air when you remove the cap, the tank breather is blocked and creating a vacuum as the pump draws fuel.

Also the engine normally needs the smallest amount of choke unless the weather is VERY cold.

Check also the fuel filter. It may be clogged and starving your engine when running. usually if you start the bike 2 times in a row the fuel pump doesn't need to work again coz there is still fuel in the lines...

Sounds like the fuel tank vent is blocked. It runs down in front of the battery and ends down by the oil pan. There is a check valve in there. Pull the line and clean it up, clean up the check valve, and make sure you can blow air thru it.

Okay, I pulled the vent line and both rubber hose pieces on either side of the check valve are clear. The check valve looks suspicious though. I am pretty sure the float piece on the inside of the valve was stuck. knocked it loose and played with it for awhile until I figured the float operated correctly. Reassembled and ran the bike for awhile. Opened the tank and no 'woosh' of air. Could that really be the cause of my problem? Would the suction of the gas tank cause the pump to malfunction? Man I hope so.

Thanks you guys.

Back