Hi All, New member, Wanting to get a V-max, q's!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gemini8026

Reaction score
Hi all, Jeff from Canada here. Im a 29 year old male and I currently own 2 bikes. a 2004 Kawasaki Z1000, and an older Suzuki GS-500.

I enjoy my Z1000, but I am at the point where I've been doing more and more highway riding, and it is NOT comfortable for much extended riding. Fun bike though, but I want to have a powerufl bike, with a bit of distance riding ability, not to mention less attention from police!!

Anyhow, Im looking at a few V-max's (I cant afford an '09) but Id like to get into an '05+

First thigns first, can anybody in Canada tell me what the retail prices were on the sticker on '05+ Vmax's?!?!

There are two bikes of interest. One guy has a '07 with 2500km's that he's asking 9k OBO, and another guy has an '05 anniv with extended warranty, good thru 2012 with 8500km and he is asking 9000 obo.

Im not sure what these sold for new, so I'd be curious where to start bargaining.

Next, what are some things I should look for when test riding these bikes. Are there any telltale signs of a failing transmission or motor that these bikes really exhibit?!?!

Thats it for now, Im worried I will regret selling my Z1000 for a tamer machine, but then again, I might like it even more. Has anyone gone from pure sport bike to a Vmax and had no regrets?!?!

Thanks for any help/ feedback!!!!

If you get a chance to test ride it, then run it hard in a few gears (up to 4th if possible). if second is bad (which i doubt) then it may end up with a false nuetral or popping out of gear. Other then that and knocking noises there are no real specific things to look for.

Those prices make my 2005 I have for sale seem cheap ($6500 U.S.) not counting the fact I have an overdrive installed into mine. I have no idea what the canada bikes sell for.

Sean

I traded in my 03 yamaha yzf600r on a 06 vmax....the main thing I noticed was the weight difference. The 600 weighed around 375lbs, and the max about 620lbs. Definitely can't snap the max around like the crotch rocket. The power is different also...the rocket was snappy horsepower, while the max has gobbs of torque!! The max is much more of an all day cruiser, and alot more comfy than being bent over the bars of the rocket. I have never rode a z1000, but they seem like a nice bike as well. I guess ultimately its your decision! I think if I had the choice to do again, I would take the MAX.

I had to laugh a little because the stuff you mentioned about wanting a VMax are the only down falls it has. It to me is not comfortable on long trips, It definatly draws attention ,small gass tank. All that being said I love my Bike. But a comfy long distance traveling bike it is not....btw you did get the powerfull part correctly.

Try riding a crotch rocket for more than 30 min....you will think a vmax is a goldwing!! LOL But you did make a great point about the small fuel tank...it makes you take notice of every gas station that you pass!

yep i have to agree... the max is not very comfy on long rides.....
that being said.. all of my previous bikes made my ass ache at some point ...so i would have 2 say the biggest drawback is the small fuel tank.

and when i bark mine down on main st...the cops take notice:rofl_200:

i like 2 think of the vmax as a muscle bike....

power and attitude:punk:.

only bike i have ever owned that makes my heart POUND.......:punk:
itsagoddambeast!!!:rofl_200:

Hi all, Jeff from Canada here. Im a 29 year old male and I currently own 2 bikes. a 2004 Kawasaki Z1000, and an older Suzuki GS-500.

I enjoy my Z1000, but I am at the point where I've been doing more and more highway riding, and it is NOT comfortable for much extended riding. Fun bike though, but I want to have a powerufl bike, with a bit of distance riding ability, not to mention less attention from police!!

Anyhow, Im looking at a few V-max's (I cant afford an '09) but Id like to get into an '05+

First thigns first, can anybody in Canada tell me what the retail prices were on the sticker on '05+ Vmax's?!?!

There are two bikes of interest. One guy has a '07 with 2500km's that he's asking 9k OBO, and another guy has an '05 anniv with extended warranty, good thru 2012 with 8500km and he is asking 9000 obo.

Im not sure what these sold for new, so I'd be curious where to start bargaining.

Next, what are some things I should look for when test riding these bikes. Are there any telltale signs of a failing transmission or motor that these bikes really exhibit?!?!

Thats it for now, Im worried I will regret selling my Z1000 for a tamer machine, but then again, I might like it even more. Has anyone gone from pure sport bike to a Vmax and had no regrets?!?!

The 07 with 2,500kms @ $9,000 is a decent price. They listed for $12,500 CDN new in 07. The 05 @ $9,000 is a little high. I bought my 05 in 07 for $8,500 with 4,400kms.

I have taken several trips on a Max (up to 3500 miles in one week) and it was fine. Just have to set it up properly. I added cloth saddlebags, Yamaha windshield, tail pack/bag, Corbin seat and highway pegs. The only problem is the gas capacity. Especially on trips to Big Bend as gas stations can be far and few between in that part of Texas. Just have to plan your stops. In fact, sold my sport tourer with Givi bags and trunk as my Max can fulfill all my riding needs. That is one of the reasons I love the Max. It is so versatile.

I had to laugh a little because the stuff you mentioned about wanting a VMax are the only down falls it has. It to me is not comfortable on long trips, It definatly draws attention ,small gass tank. All that being said I love my Bike. But a comfy long distance traveling bike it is not....btw you did get the powerfull part correctly.

I completely agree.

In my opinion you are considering the wrong bike for what you are looking for.

Interesting,

Thanks for the feedback guys! How many miles are you guys getting out of a full tank??!

On my Z1000, I can get around 200km or so (canada remember) so Im not sure the exact translation.

On straight highway/interstage I get 150-170 miles. With me commuting I get about 130-140 before I fill-up.

normally if the reserve is coming on before 115-120 you need to do some tuning.

Sean

i am 25 and learned on an 2005 yzf600r. bad shoulders from yrs of rugby and the annoyance of removing all the plastics to do any work made me start looking at nakeds and i found the vmax. would now never ride anything else!

Guys, I forgot to mention the 2005 Vmax has 8500 km/h, but it is also the anniversary edition (not sure if it matters, i actually prefer the plain black model)

Mileage kinda sucks, but truthfully, it's something anybody with a powerful bike has to live with. My Z1000 has a somewhat larger tank, but I dont get too far on that!!!

Does the anniv add much to value?!? And if he is asking 9k, Im not sure what a good offer would be, as it also has the warranty.

Guys, I forgot to mention the 2005 Vmax has 8500 km/h, but it is also the anniversary edition (not sure if it matters, i actually prefer the plain black model)

Mileage kinda sucks, but truthfully, it's something anybody with a powerful bike has to live with. My Z1000 has a somewhat larger tank, but I dont get too far on that!!!

Does the anniv add much to value?!? And if he is asking 9k, Im not sure what a good offer would be, as it also has the warranty.

I think he is asking too much for the 05. The anniversary edition really isn't any different than the other years except for the anniversary badge on it. It may add value for some people, just as others think the 85 year is worth more, it all depends on the buyer. The extended warranty is a bonus but the majority of people on the forum don't like the dealership to work on their bike as it seems it is hard to find one that knows how to work on a VMax! :biglaugh:

I get about 150, 170 on a good day with my hand in check. I have a stg 7 jet kit on mine , so a stock Max should get better distance.
If you've wanted a Max in the past ,..you won't be disappointed.
It's not a sports bike , or a cruiser ,...but , it can be both with a lil compromise and a lil modification,...
Beware the mod monkey...................:th_scared:

I'm on my 6th bike, still have a V4 Magna, and the Vmax. Two of my bikes were inline, two cruisers and I've ridden a couple of sport bikes enough to know that I CANNOT STAND the riding posture and lack of comfort on them.

Cruisers are most comfortable for long rides, but lack thrill. The Vmax is VERY comfortable for me, but I only ride 35 miles each way (70 rt) to work and don't really consider that a long ride. My longest day in the saddle was 110 miles, and I had no discomfort at all.

As far as excitement, no the max doesn't have the same acceleration of a sport bike, but it's no sissy either. The first time I hit 120 I felt like I was on a rail launched rocket, fast enough, BUT a comfortable ride, especially with my highway pegs.

So, I think a better question would be "after riding a Vmax would anyone EVER consider buying a spoprt bike to replace the Max? In my case no... no way, no how!

Gary

Thanks for the helpful answers guys!

The biggest problem I face is trying to find one to ride. Im in Regina, which is a city of 250k people, but all of the ones for sale are out of town and a few hours. So it's not as simple as saying "hey, can i come out and see if I liek this bike or not?!?" :D

Ive also considered a Night-Rod. But essentially, it's a LOT more money for looks and a name... To some, thats a big factor, to me, not so much. If I had lots of $$$, that would be different!

It's funny, a guy gets lots of stares from the young crowd on my bike, but smug looks from anyone older.

Either way, I'm doing HEAVY research and trying to find a good deal! I'll likely pull the trigger if I find a 2005+ for the right price, even if I cant ride it.

It's only $$$ right :D

Back