higher rpm?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgrowc1

Reaction score
Just read a post saying the max needs higher rpm? Mine only has 6,000 on it but driven slow I am sure at low rpm's and the last few hundred I cruise at low rpm's but you guys say better to cruise around 4,000rpm? That correct? Is fine by me just thought I was being nice to it

i think the folks in that thread were discussing the fact that its not a good idea to lug the engine at very low rpms.......as the oil pressure is low there.

u dont need to take er easy on ur max she can take it!!!:punk::punk:

6000 miles? The motor is pretty well broken in and the trans is probably pretty close as well...

Mine has 3400 or so on it and I run it wide open or putt around.

Lugging any motor is bad but lugging a fresh motor 2000 miles and below is hard on them.

Chris

lol im getting a little more used to the max now, feels a lot different to anything I have ridden before so I will stop lugging now

I like the sound of them at about 10K!

Sean

LOL, I cringe when I look down and see the needle hit 10K. It's all in good fun though. I keep thinking that a dyna 300 might be a good idea for me. I don't look down at the tach unless I think I may be up there a bit too much. Everytime I think that, I really am.

I installed a shift light and have it set to 8800 rpm, conservitive I know, but I want to make sure I'm not hitting the redline too hard or often.

I installed a shift light and have it set to 8800 rpm, conservitive I know, but I want to make sure I'm not hitting the redline too hard or often.

me too brian. in speaking with a few guys abou this we think the analog tach is definitely slow where a shift light is much more accurate. i have mine set on 8800 as a holy shit u should be mid shift by now light, not an actual shift when you see me light, i think it actually has me shifting (when i'm on it hard) right around 9500

+1 on the shift light.
The tach is one of our Max's worst aspects- I think it's one step above useless. The small shift light I have(mounted on top of the speedo) blinks 1k rpm before the set rpm where it glows continusly. Thus, I know to preload the shift lever for quick, positive shifts.

Back