Highway Speeds??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually ride 10-15 mph over the limit, but when i see that there is a nice stretch of road with no cops i hammer it! And that happens alot :biglaugh:

haha, I agree with you all.... well, maybe not with vmaxcruzer, but the rest for sure! LOL

Prolly 5 - 7 mph over the posted limit most of the time....unless I'm 'in the need' for a little accelleration, or I'm doing some rich/lean testing, or I'm trying to catch that bike waaaay up ahead (hey, he might be riding a v max), or............!

I think my speed is pretty much all over the board!! :biglaugh:

what if another vmax is with ya and u guys wanna do WOT tests? to 4th redline, hahaha..

I usually ride 10-15 mph over the limit, but when i see that there is a nice stretch of road with no cops i hammer it! And that happens alot :biglaugh:

yea. that happened to me on the way to work this morning. ran it to 4th redline pushed it thru 5th a bit saw 125 and a turn coming up. shut her down.

Ok.... I'm not a speed freak, but I'm always aiming to be 'in front of that guy, then that guy, then that guy....' you get the picture. Anywho, is it just me? Am I the only guy who gets out on the highway and every time I look down at the speedo it just keeps creeping up.... I have to make a concious effort to actually SLOW DOWN! Lately my cruising speed on the highway has been about 140kmh (about 87mph). Of course, as I look down further, I realize that I'm running about 6K rpm and think to myself - VBOOST! So I rolled on it, it took off like a banshi, speedo hit somewhere over 190kmh (about 118mph), and I rolled out of it and back down to about 140

Holy shit....you just described me PERFECTLY! Were we separated at birth????

Me? 55 big dogs! My bike won't go over it.:biglaugh:
look at my avatar...do I look like a guy that breaks the limit?
I AM A RULE FOLLOWER PEOPLE!
It sounds to me that you follow everyone else too LOL.:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:
(just kidding bro)
I do 55 on the streets and pull onto the freeway at 90 + sometimes on one wheel.
It`s not a felony out here but it`s damn well writeable.
<Dave>>:eusa_dance:

It depends where I'm at, around town its the speed limit or about 5mph over. On the highway its about 10 over posted with occational bursts to triple digits.

I always pay attention to the terrain, especially if there are ditches. Moose run pretty big around here. If they can total big f350's on impact, I really don't want to find out what they can do to me.

I've had several close calls and even been in a truck that was totaled when a moose jumped out in front of us. No way could my friend react in time. BAM!! Dead moose and a totaled 2001 dodge ram.

It depends where I'm at, around town its the speed limit or about 5mph over. On the highway its about 10 over posted with occational bursts to triple digits.

I always pay attention to the terrain, especially if there are ditches. Moose run pretty big around here. If they can total big f350's on impact, I really don't want to find out what they can do to me.

I've had several close calls and even been in a truck that was totaled when a moose jumped out in front of us. No way could my friend react in time. BAM!! Dead moose and a totaled 2001 dodge ram.

Yeah.....sometimes it doesn't even kill the moose......they run off.....you ain't goin' nowhere.....

Bears can do the same thing.......solidly built critters for sure:bang head:

Oh boy. I hate the freeway. I'm a solid and steady 10 over guy, until somebody comes roaring up behind me. Then I'll follow from behind as fast as he wants to go. I've seen cagers cruise down the road at 100+ and I'm none to happy to keep up, but I won't set the pace.

Now then ... the country roads out where I live are an entirely different matter. That car in front of me ... yeah, the one about 1/2 mile down the road ... well, I cannot go on letting him think that he can drive in front of me all day.

A quick zip to ungodly speeds and I'll pass anybody in front of me ... then I settle in to a nice comfortable cruising speed. I like to think 100 is a good cruising speed for long flat straight farm roads.

It sounds to me that you follow everyone else too LOL.:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:
(just kidding bro)
I do 55 on the streets and pull onto the freeway at 90 + sometimes on one wheel.
It`s not a felony out here but it`s damn well writeable.
<Dave>>:eusa_dance:

I only admit to doing 55. I like to stretch my arm sockets daily. I think Cop Runner said he doesn't like to follow traffic, thats me too. I'd rather keep women applying make-up, kids on their phones, and angry drivers behind me and open road in front. Since I upgraded to radials I like twisties too.:rocket bike:

I like the "OMG I better slow down"... I have that problem blowing through the gears from a light or entering a highway. Cruising... 3-7 mph over the posted limit... I can't afford the tickets! on those clear rural roads... what speed limit... 100 + rarely over 125 just not enough cop free road to run over that for very long. Though there is an 8 mile stretch of straight road about an hour away, just need to watch out for the gators!

Cops have been all over the Northway (I-87 between Albany and Canada) as of recently 65mph limit. Way, way more cops than I've ever seen out before. All state troopers too, hardly ever see locals. It used to be that 80 or less and you wouldn't be bothered. Past 80 and the first alert cop would be on you. Now, people I know have gotten ticketed for doing as little as 77 in a 65--only 12 over. I dare not go over 75 south of Glens Falls. The fuzz are finding new and different hiding spots, they're not just in the "no u-turn" crossovers anymore that I used to always watch.

I agree about slow down at night, espically if you're ever riding in the Adirondacks. Stuff pops out in front of you all the time- deer mostly but raccoons/skunks are notable offenders as well. FYI, those deer whistles don't work whatsoever. If anything they attract deer- I tried them on my truck and my "oh ****" moments doubled. I threw them out.

75 is a good cruise for me. I'll return about 40mpg doing that(boost off), and with the Venture drive it's about 4500RPM. Like someone else said, if a car comes hauling ass past me I'll match it's speed and hang about 1/2 mile back- this has allowed me to make great time vith virtually no risk of a ticket. Sometimes that car gets busted for speeding, but that's not my problem now is it!

I got busted on my Magna for 71 in a 55. It was an obscure, very low traffic state byway. State cop was very well hidden at the bottom on a long gentle downhill. I saw him at the last second, looked at my speed, and thought about bolting, but while that 500cc Magna was very quick for what it was, I wasn't about to lose a Crown Vic before the next side-street at least a mile away. Cost me $235 and 2 points, and that's after bargaining it down to a "rolling stop" ticket. Before it would have been 4 points(insurance rape time) and about $350. Yep, $350 for 16 over. At those prices and the insane amount of enforcement around here, letting Mr. Max "stretch it's legs" is risky business indeed.

Anyone else notice that if you're with a bunch of other bikes going fast on the highway you never get bothered? I regularly ride with 4-5 other bikes on the Northway and sometimes NY Thruway. We cruise at anywhere between 90 to 100+. We have gone by countless cops at these speeds and not once has one even pulled out to give chase. One time on a side road going maybe 15 over a local cop pulled out and stayed right on our ass but never put the lights on for several miles(if I was in a my truck I definetly would have slammed on my brakes randomly) and then turned off after following us(now doing 5 under).

Cops have been all over the Northway (I-87 between Albany and Canada) as of recently 65mph limit. Way, way more cops than I've ever seen out before. All state troopers too, hardly ever see locals. It used to be that 80 or less and you wouldn't be bothered. Past 80 and the first alert cop would be on you. Now, people I know have gotten ticketed for doing as little as 77 in a 65--only 12 over. I dare not go over 75 south of Glens Falls. The fuzz are finding new and different hiding spots, they're not just in the "no u-turn" crossovers anymore that I used to always watch.

I agree about slow down at night, espically if you're ever riding in the Adirondacks. Stuff pops out in front of you all the time- deer mostly but raccoons/skunks are notable offenders as well. FYI, those deer whistles don't work whatsoever. If anything they attract deer- I tried them on my truck and my "oh ****" moments doubled. I threw them out.

75 is a good cruise for me. I'll return about 40mpg doing that(boost off), and with the Venture drive it's about 4500RPM. Like someone else said, if a car comes hauling ass past me I'll match it's speed and hang about 1/2 mile back- this has allowed me to make great time vith virtually no risk of a ticket. Sometimes that car gets busted for speeding, but that's not my problem now is it!

I got busted on my Magna for 71 in a 55. It was an obscure, very low traffic state byway. State cop was very well hidden at the bottom on a long gentle downhill. I saw him at the last second, looked at my speed, and thought about bolting, but while that 500cc Magna was very quick for what it was, I wasn't about to lose a Crown Vic before the next side-street at least a mile away. Cost me $235 and 2 points, and that's after bargaining it down to a "rolling stop" ticket. Before it would have been 4 points(insurance rape time) and about $350. Yep, $350 for 16 over. At those prices and the insane amount of enforcement around here, letting Mr. Max "stretch it's legs" is risky business indeed.

Anyone else notice that if you're with a bunch of other bikes going fast on the highway you never get bothered? I regularly ride with 4-5 other bikes on the Northway and sometimes NY Thruway. We cruise at anywhere between 90 to 100+. We have gone by countless cops at these speeds and not once has one even pulled out to give chase. One time on a side road going maybe 15 over a local cop pulled out and stayed right on our ass but never put the lights on for several miles(if I was in a my truck I definetly would have slammed on my brakes randomly) and then turned off after following us(now doing 5 under).

The cops are thick up here too.....along with all the other wildlife.....

Here they LOVE to hassle the groups.....:damn angry:

I only admit to doing 55. I like to stretch my arm sockets daily. I think Cop Runner said he doesn't like to follow traffic, thats me too. I'd rather keep women applying make-up, kids on their phones, and angry drivers behind me and open road in front. Since I upgraded to radials I like twisties too.:rocket bike:
I know what you mean, It just sounded funny the way you put it.
The police station is just on the other block and they know that uncle davey has a vmax(it`s the only one around)
So far all I have gotten from them is waves and stares but I know that
they are waiting to test the power of those brand new BMW`s the just got issued.But to their disappointment I don`t plan on giving them that chance
cause the main streets have a 50mph. speed limit.
<<Dave>>:th_favorites24:

I have to say highway speeds definitely around 9 over...but definitely like 125-130mph most of the time, only quarter/mile at a time. I am definitely like the rest hate following cars and most other bikes... well cept for chris haha

Went on a 200 mile ride yesterday with a bunch of kids on crotch rockets. I had the only cruiser in the gang. I'll be honest and say I couldn't hang with those guys for long at either sustained high speed or through the endless twisties. The Max has got tons of grunt in a straight line and some surprising cornering ability, but I just couldn't stay with the young'uns all day. I kept within sight for the first half of the ride, but on the trip back I stayed back, let'em go and rolled my worn out ass back to town at the posted speed. What a whimp!!

Sustained high speeds is brutal on the VMax as your body acts like a parachute. Between the wind trying to push your head back and holding on to the bars, it gets tiring.

Sustained high speeds is brutal on the VMax as your body acts like a parachute. Between the wind trying to push your head back and holding on to the bars, it gets tiring.

i just did 250 miles each way couple weeks ago. i'd say about 3 hours is my limit until i need more than just a gas up break. but i did 3:30 - 4 and then was home so it was ok.

I did 1100 miles in 3 days, wasn't too bad. I have a Morley seat that I last comfortably on for about ~300miles. After that gas stops only relieve the pain for about 60 miles. I'm sure a airhawk or other seat cushion addon would help greatly. I also have a slightly larger than factory windscreen which helps keep the wind off my chest ~ to middle of face shield.
My Vmax is not set up for the long haul, but I can handle ~1000 in 3 days no problem, I will eventually get a FJR1300 for distance rides. Seems like you can pick a nice used FJR for around $10,000, and still have some performance.

Latest posts

Back