Honda Blackbird 1100x...who has had??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HDKILA

Reaction score
There are a few Honda Blackbirds for sale locally. Both are less than 3500 with low miles! That used to be one of my favorite bikes and I am seriously thinking about getting one to sit next to the max in the garage.

They are both 97 models which means they have carbs instead of FI. Anybody own one of these before?

I have never read a bad review but wanted to get input from my fellow mad maxxers!

Thoughts please....

Abe

I've not had one. I've ridden one once. Wonderful bikes. Fit and finish are typical Honda(Excellent). Ergos are very nice. Very good power/tq. In a word-Smooth. I have a friend that has a turbocharged XX. It is the fuel injected version and...its intercooled! Makes right at 250rwhp on pump and he drives it everywhere.

I've only ridden one myself.... it was pretty damn fast if I remember correctly. I remember doing 155 on it and having to let off because of a cross wind and I was on a narrow 2-lane road.... with no helmet... not a good idea, but I made it home safely. This was probably 11 years ago, and I really remember how hard it was to keep it under 100mph.

I've only ridden one myself.... it was pretty damn fast if I remember correctly. I remember doing 155 on it and having to let off because of a cross wind and I was on a narrow 2-lane road.... with no helmet... not a good idea, but I made it home safely. This was probably 11 years ago, and I really remember how hard it was to keep it under 100mph.

sounds like you! haha! well for around 2500-2700 I might be getting a smoking deal on a carb'd one....just wondering how finiky the carbs on the bird are compared to the max.

sounds like you! haha! well for around 2500-2700 I might be getting a smoking deal on a carb'd one....just wondering how finiky the carbs on the bird are compared to the max.
After having messed with the V-max carbs, the 'Birds carbs are a snap! IIRC, they are Keihins, which are the best carb out there IMO. You'll find that you will NEVER be going into them for any reason(other than maybe installing a jet kit if you want to rejet for an exhaust). Very easy to remove too...

I haven't ridden one but I do have a simular bike. It is Black of course. They do look good next to eachother in the garage.

I have been considering these too. I am torn between a pure sport bike and more of a street bike/sport tourer. Spent some time on a ZX-9 this weekend and it was GOOD. That thing was a monster, and was begging to get railed into the twisties. Surprisingly I was comfy for some fairly long stints on it......HHhmmmmmm:ummm:

I had a 98 for 3 months (4000 miles) it had a balance shaft issue that eventually made me trade it in on something else. It was smooth as butter below 7k. Above 7k and my mirrors stopped working well enough for me to see. FWIW, the balance shaft issue is rare.

I ended up riding another 98 without the vibration issue. It was GLASS. The bike felt electric. It's missing the midrange of the other hyper tourers (Hayabusa, ZX12 at the time) but has a really solid top end hit. It handles well enough and looks kinda bland....but that's why I liked it.

More comfy than my Hayabusa by a long shot. Corbin seat and heli bars and you could easily ride it coast to coast. I netted about 180-190miles til reserve.

285711769_ddbfb0320b_o.jpg

This is me just prior to leaving for my upstate NY meet up with some riding buddies from Ohio and PA. It was a nice 1700 mile, 3 day weekend.

I would buy another one if that means anything to you. Try and get one that's as close to stock as possible. Too many people chrome, stretch, and paint them gawdawful colors.

Latest posts

Back