Hooking up a Bluetooth Stereo to the BigBad Max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

intrigue169

Reaction score
I got a Bluetooth stereo to hook up.
I tested out the stereo before getting started my just connecting it to a battery and it got loud enough I think to hear going down the road I think.
I have not hooked it up to the Max yet but I do got the speakers mounted(to the side scoops with a Z-bracket) along with the micro amp connected to the air-box (fits under the fake gas tank good ) and the Bluetooth controller connected to the Allen bolt on the break master-cylinder.

The stereo I got was the
Pyle PLMCA31BT, not a bad price at about $110,
thinking about taking it back and getting the upgraded one for about $50 more

Does anyone know of a good place to get my power from so I don't have to hook up a toggle switch to turn it on and off?

Let me know what you guys think of, and any suggestions you have for me and anyone else looking at this.

Attachments

• IMAG0308.jpg
    IMAG0308.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMAG0307.jpg
    IMAG0307.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 62
  • IMAG0306.jpg
    IMAG0306.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMAG0305.jpg
    IMAG0305.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 56
  • IMAG0304.jpg
    IMAG0304.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 57
Fuse your 12 V DC as-close to the battery as you can, and choose a good ground. I would rather be aware of things around me than to use an external stereo. For some uses, I could understand using helmet-to-helmet comm like long distance riding either w/a passenger or another bike, for a relay of gas/toilet & food stops, emergencies, hazardous conditions warnings, po-po, etc, but at cruising speeds, an external stereo is probably useless anyway. Eastern Beaver haas a lot of wiring things you can use.

I want to do a stereo also and as for being aware goldwings and other bikes have been doing it for along time. I have had a few bike's with stereo's and its lot of fun. Is the pyle waterproof I want to make sure i get a waterproof stereo.

I bought a Pyle stereo for the Roadstar over the winter. Looks good, sounds good and was 50 bucks on Amazon..

Well ... I took a different approach.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399252067.259724.jpg

My airbox cover was a mess of body filler so I didn't feel a loss. I'll eventually get another air box cover for the harder runs where I do use the exhaust note.

The head unit does have bluetooth so I could mount the mic in my lid, but I don't ride so I can take calls anyway. I do like the auto text answers in the new ios. Down the road I can playlist from the 3k plus tunes on my phone, pandora and run navigation. I did dodge raindrops by riding with weather radar once last year as well.

Also note that lid is installed on a borrowed max while I wait for Lola's new starter to arrive later this week.

The whole rig is powered by my battery tender's SAE link to the battery - great power source - IMO.

Finally, the round cap below the head unit covers a dual USB power port - recharge phones, electronic cig batteries, etc. at run sites.

I am going to cut the box down ~2" and make scallops for the locations that interfere with full lock steering this week.

If you think this rig is funky - the setup on my Triumph would make you laugh out loud - or bob your head to my tunes at stop lights.

I can't hear the speakers going over 40, they sound good moving slow. Maybe I should put the speakers on the handlebar like they are supposed to go then maybe I can hear them a little closer to highway speeds.

yes these speakers are waterproof.

I think I am going to take these back and get the upgraded set and mount the speakers on the handlebars. I should like them better because I can almost hear the speakers. Maybe I should not have put the VooDoo 4-1 on

I can't hear the speakers going over 40, they sound good moving slow. Maybe I should put the speakers on the handlebar like they are supposed to go then maybe I can hear them a little closer to highway speeds.

yes these speakers are waterproof.

I think I am going to take these back and get the upgraded set and mount the speakers on the handlebars. I should like them better because I can almost hear the speakers. Maybe I should not have put the VooDoo 4-1 on

Intrigue,

I'm listening over a Hindle 4-1 and I can hear the tunes at 90-100mph. Speakers are your answer - that little amp will overdrive those speakers. You will get some improvement by pointing them directly at your noggin. You'll get a little more improvment using caps to cut out the bass that speakers that size cannot process.

I've been planning to show do a what and why thread on my sound install, but I'm waiting till I get a little closer to finished.

I just thought they looked good attached to my aftermarket scoops 9 Nub and they was easy to attach to.
I already took it back. Got it from Walmart.com just to try with an easy return. I'll try the 600 watt set up that walmart does not have(I really hate walmart but bought this just for an easy return if I did not like). I liked the set up of the system, and the amp never got very hot. the bluetooth worked great.
next time I will mount them on the handlebars , and get some inline caps. what speakers would you recommend for me to check out ?
I don't know anything about those micro amps, but know a little more about car amps half the width of your trunk.

Intrigue,

My system started out with the intention to purchase this: Ebay System

But, when I was refinishing the tank cover I discovered a badly bent and dented lid and lots of body filler. Since my triumph tank is poly and I already have that system solved I decided to dedicate the Max system using the trashed tank lid.

As far as speakers for a handle bar mount ... look at the 3.5" driver options. I like the tank bag 'cause I can get much better performance out of decent 4X6" drivers. I also like the tank bag 'cause it doesn't compel me to fly the mousekateer sized ears that will eventually reqult from the desire to get decent sound. The tank bag is also missing the USB charging, but it could be added easily - I spend enough time in the saddle to make this a system requirement.

I would want this for my trip down to Baltimore this summer, as well as a Bluetooth CB radio, so I can keep in contact with the guys I am going down with. (they're taking a cage... the wimps!)

I would love to see the finished installation once you get this done!

Ummmmmm, why would you want to do that to any self-respecting bike? Sorry, that's just plain fugly in my opinion!

LMAO ... Fugly is a very fair summary. Thing is, I don't see her while I'm smiling away the miles. That and ... you can't see it from behind - her backside is the only side folks really ever get a chance to contemplate. Folks that see her parked know me well enough not to ask silly questions. It did pain the friend that loaned me his gorgeous max (gold with red flames) when he saw me pull that ugly ass airbox lid outa the car at his house. But, he did enjoy the fact that the GPS helped us plot a great route to Corpus on Friday then plotted us a fast and direct route home.

The true why was already offered ... I have decent sound at a steady clip of 90 to 100 mph :D. And she was made out of an airbox cover I would have trashed due to existing damage.

LMAO ... Fugly is a very fair summary. Thing is, I don't see her while I'm smiling away the miles. That and ... you can't see it from behind - her backside is the only side folks really ever get a chance to contemplate. Folks that see her parked know me well enough not to ask silly questions. It did pain the friend that loaned me his gorgeous max (gold with red flames) when he saw me pull that ugly ass airbox lid outa the car at his house. But, he did enjoy the fact that the GPS helped us plot a great route to Corpus on Friday then plotted us a fast and direct route home.

The true why was already offered ... I have decent sound at a steady clip of 90 to 100 mph :D. And she was made out of an airbox cover I would have trashed due to existing damage.
I understand the trashed airbox cover and all, but then, to quote a similar thread on an M109R site concerning the bike shown in the link below,

This reminds me of back in the days when people used to walk around with BOOM BOXES forcing everyone to listen to their music , i wouldn't ride with this guy let alone just looking at this hurts my eyes

And now the monstrosity:

http://www.boatsandcycles.com/motorcycles-for-sale/2007-suzuki-boulevard-m109r-2485.asp#.U2fa9vldV8E

It's very interesting that there are similar threads on two sites I frequent concurrently.

Ummmmmm, why would you want to do that to any self-respecting bike? Sorry, that's just plain fugly in my opinion!
Guess you won't like my setup, Pete.
Dual three-way 6" speakers in the fairing, Genuine Yamaha accessory turntable(only available in Canada, I think), mounted to the faux lid with custom brackets.
Sound is great, even at highway speeds. Raised dust cover acts as a secondary windshield. Wheel weights on stylus keeps skipping to a minimum.
I love being able to take my beloved Nana Mouskori and Ink Spots albums on the road with me. Really gets the blood pumping.
Cheers!

Attachments

• sound system.jpg
    sound system.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 37
Darnm I thought that the tank speakers thing was a joke in the beginning. Then when I looked at the picture closer I noticed that it was actually real. Ok so some people cannot live without their music but, once again, darnnn, that is plain ugly!

As far as I am concerned, a music system does not belong on a bike (or any sporty vehicle with a V8 and over...but that's just me).

Dual three-way 6" speakers in the fairing, Genuine Yamaha accessory turntable(only available in Canada, I think), mounted to the faux lid with custom brackets.
Sound is great, even at highway speeds. Raised dust cover acts as a secondary windshield. Wheel weights on stylus keeps skipping to a minimum.
I love being able to take my beloved Nana Mouskori and Ink Spots albums on the road with me. Really gets the blood pumping.
Cheers!
:rofl_200::biglaugh:
rofl_200.gif
biglaugh.gif
rofl_200.gif
biglaugh.gif
rofl_200.gif
biglaugh.gif
rofl_200.gif
biglaugh.gif

I understand the trashed airbox cover and all, but then, to quote a similar thread on an M109R site concerning the bike shown in the link below,

And now the monstrosity:

http://www.boatsandcycles.com/motorcycles-for-sale/2007-suzuki-boulevard-m109r-2485.asp#.U2fa9vldV8E

It's very interesting that there are similar threads on two sites I frequent concurrently.

A bit over the top for me, but you have to appreciate the work that went into creating this. Too bad the mp3/cellphone couldn't have been integrated better. I bet it will the sound system that will attract a buyer-someone looking for something unique.
All it would take would be a custom tank bra to cover the system when not in use - it would just look like an oversized gas tank.
Cheers!

I believe that the M109R has beautiful flowing lines, and this mod destroys that. I do appreciate the workmanship, but I think something like this one is far nicer. Look closely at the front of the tank on the bike on the left.

attachment.php

And now the monstrosity:

Dunno ... I like it. And, if I didn't like the musical selection offered, I'm confident I could outrun the noise. The quote I tried to copy that didn't nest does remind me of my early car systems. I've always had eclectic musical taste and have always enjoyed the disgust I see from older folk which turns to interest and enjoyment when they figure out they are being blasted by music they actually like. So, if I'm enjoying Sinatra ... I get lots of true puzzlement ... occasionally a wife will approach at a gas station or something to tell me how much she appreciates the tasteful musical selection.

I wouldn't compare my monster to that M109's thing of beauty. That guy used symmetry, color coordination, etc. to affect his cool. He clearly tried. I admit that I have not tried. I just enjoy my tunes.

Cheers!

I love it! Inspirational. Maybe I'll move my 4X6s into my Fatmax batwing ... eventually.

Darnm I thought that the tank speakers thing was a joke in the beginning. Then when I looked at the picture closer I noticed that it was actually real. Ok so some people cannot live without their music but, once again, darnnn, that is plain ugly!

As far as I am concerned, a music system does not belong on a bike (or any sporty vehicle with a V8 and over...but that's just me).

Yes, I prefer life with music. I once rode with my instructor on a few hot laps around Texas World Speedway in his wife's BMW 7 series. When he flipped on the stereo to one of her classical CDs I was truly impressed. It took a lot of restraint for me to keep my paws off my stereo while turning laps - the stunt would have gotten me black flag'd in a heartbeat.

Back