Horn - I don't get it

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vitek

Reaction score
So I changed the original vmax crappy horn to the one that I got on ebay and it was way louder but I hated the way it was mounted on the engine guard. The other day inspecting my Yamaha R6 I noticed that horn looks exactly like original vmax but can wake up the dead, it is so loud. So I placed order and new horn from R6 was mounted on vmax. Pressed the horn button and I was expecting the same sound like on R6 but it sounds exacly like original vmax horn!!! so I disconected from vmax and connected to R6 and it sounds super loud so WTF is wrong with this picture? Can anybody explain cuz I'm confused :(

Vitek

Eastern Beaver has a pre-made kits that includes the relay and offers options to connect to single horn, dual horns, or either one retaining your original horn too. I am not very electrically inclined so for me this would be the way to go. I'm sure others here can direct how to do it yourself and steal back some money from the evil mod monkey.

I agree with MaxRyan - it's just that on the Max, the juice has to travel from the battery to the horn switch on the handlebars and all the way back to the horn.
If you simply run a single proper gauge wire from the battery to a relay, and then energise the relay using the wires that currently run to the horn, you will get the full voltage/current to the horn and it should sound more like the R6. Make sure you also have the - side of the horn connected to a good ground!

The problem is it has to go through the key switch which is a major voltage drop. Replace that with a single pole single throw and add a relay and the Vmax horn will wake the dead.

Back