How do YOU guys arrange your tools?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V-Four

Reaction score
Yeah, it sounds kinda basic, but I'm finally moving into my new house and have to re-arrange my tools. (Get em outa the boxes and finally organize them.)

Ideas (and photos) are appreciated, but my main question I'm asking myself, do I keep all wrenches together ,and separate drawers for sockets?
, or separate drawers/ boxes for metrics?

Or keep metric wrenches with metric sockets and have a 'metric set' including wrench/socket/allen.

I think I'm confusing myself right now..

What do y'all do? Separate by metric /sae ..or by tool type: wrench /socket/allen..

After repeating myself here for several sentences, I think that last one sums it up.

Thanks in advance.

T $

My small shop is used mainly for woodworking, but one rule seems to hold true, regardless of what's taking place -
Try to keep the most often used tools in plain sight, and outline or label each location, so the tool goes back there after being used.
For most of my wrenching stuff, I built a three-drawer workbench (using full-extension drawer slides - I'm a big fan of those). Grinders, circular saws, drills, and other corded power tools are kept in the lower two, the top drawer holds larger and seldom used wrenches, sockets , etc., in addition to the socket set which stays in the drawer. Combo wrenchs are stored as shown, metric on the right, standard on left.
Not shown, but the top of the bench flips up, for more storage if needed. At present it is filled with various metal pieces, for fabbing small projects.

Cheers!

Attachments

• tool arrangement 001.jpg
    tool arrangement 001.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 48
  • tool arrangement 002.jpg
    tool arrangement 002.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 49
  • tool arrangement 003.jpg
    tool arrangement 003.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 48
  • tool arrangement 004.jpg
    tool arrangement 004.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 44
I'm sure you've seen my thread, http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=41374
which has some info on getting my workspace organized. I agree w/Miles, the way to work is to have a versatile space where you can work on whatever your project is, until it's done, and then you can re-configure it for the next thing.

I think having wrenches and sockets segregated by SAE and Metric is the easy way to go. Other than that, I do it by function, so cordless tools go into one drawer, their accessories go into another drawer (i.e., saw blades, grinding wheels, abrasive discs, reciprocating saw blades, jigsaw blades, power driver bits, etc) and things I would be using frequently go onto trackboard above my workbench. There are all-sorts of holders for the trackboard. I use my combination wrenches, screwdrivers, and pliers/vise-grips on wall-mounted holders, no drawer to open/close, easy to see what's out of the holder, easy to replace. I have a magnetic strip on an overhead shelf above the workbench, easy to temporarily store a wrench, screwdriver, or pliers out of the way, but easily available. Harbor Freight sells a US General magnetic strip which is small in size, and about 18" long, perfect for this.

I also mounted my cordless chargers onto the trackwall so they are off the workbench, but easily available for use.

My floor tools are mounted on wheels, so I can move into position to work w/it, and return it to a storage location when I'm done. The floor drill press doesn't have a wheeled base.

My advice would be to try out whatever configuration you think would work best, and then be flexible enough to be able to change the layout if you find it's not working for you, or if you have a better idea.

attachment.php

My small shop is used mainly for woodworking, but one rule seems to hold true, regardless of what's taking place -
Try to keep the most often used tools in plain sight, and outline or label each location, so the tool goes back there after being used.
For most of my wrenching stuff, I built a three-drawer workbench (using full-extension drawer slides - I'm a big fan of those). Grinders, circular saws, drills, and other corded power tools are kept in the lower two, the top drawer holds larger and seldom used wrenches, sockets , etc., in addition to the socket set which stays in the drawer. Combo wrenchs are stored as shown, metric on the right, standard on left.
Not shown, but the top of the bench flips up, for more storage if needed. At present it is filled with various metal pieces, for fabbing small projects.

Cheers!
International coffee Miles---
I have gallon jugs for screws, nails and etc. 10 of them. I think that's hoarding. I have an 8x4 ft wall with pegboard and pegs for holding tools and 4 8x8ft cabinets with locking sliding doors for the rest.

My auto/motorcycle tools are stored by type per drawer in six Stanley Vidmar cabinets. Drawers hold 400 pounds fully extended on roller bearings with outer races and allow for custom partition and dividers to configure the drawer.

I use socket and wrench organizers of various types: magnetic, tray, spring clip, twist lock, marked post....

Metric, Allen, measuring tools, files, punches, drills, holesaws, saws, Dremel, air tools, reamers, tap and die sets, vacuum and pressure syringes, abrasives, surgical gloves, towels, metal and wood chisels, test equipment, planes, adhesives and sealants, grinding wheels and grinder accessories, and tons of various hardware have their own drawers.

29whm0.jpg

6p7txf.jpg

vo4nc3.jpg

j7u4bn.jpg

17zbwh.jpg

n5g5dx.jpg

2qdc3f7.jpg

14tsrgx.jpg

nclgsx.jpg

http://www.stanleyvidmar.com/products/cabinets/drawers

Like this. I very recently got real tired of digging through tool bags and lugging shit around. Organized tools make garage work go a hundred times faster!
20160428_174337.jpeg

Nubicon, that looks like the Harbor Freight roll-around multi-drawer tool organizer. I almost bought one of them, but I have a simpler one (2 shelves) still the box I haven't even used.

Zeus36's drawers are heavy-duty!

What I really want is two more bays, but that isn't gonna happen. I'm off from school this week, so I'm gonna try to get some things done organizing the shop.

Nubicon, that looks like the Harbor Freight roll-around multi-drawer tool organizer. I almost bought one of them, but I have a simpler one (2 shelves) still the box I haven't even used.

Zeus36's drawers are heavy-duty!

What I really want is two more bays, but that isn't gonna happen. I'm off from school this week, so I'm gonna try to get some things done organizing the shop.

Yupper. Best $180 I've ever spent. It's fascinating how most of the stuff there is total garbage but once in a while you find a gem.

And Zues's drawers look awesome. I'm kind of jealous :worthy:

Omg..thanks guys..giving me great ideas..

It's kinda funny..we share the love of working/mod ding maxxes, and now we're getting to see what makes it all possible.
Keep em coming.

T $

International coffee Miles---
I have gallon jugs for screws, nails and etc. 10 of them. I think that's hoarding. I have an 8x4 ft wall with pegboard and pegs for holding tools and 4 8x8ft cabinets with locking sliding doors for the rest.

Folgers plastic works for me, with those nifty built in carrying handles.
And yes, like other have said, Zeus has the best drawers, I'd like to see what's in them.
Wait, that didn't sound quite right....................

Attachments

• coffee can storage 001.jpg
    coffee can storage 001.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 23
Why thank you Miles, I added some open drawer pics for ya.....

17zbwh.jpg

n5g5dx.jpg

2qdc3f7.jpg

14tsrgx.jpg

nclgsx.jpg

29w8jf9.jpg

15moefs.jpg

2yosehd.jpg

I haven't bothered to change some of the drawer tags as I know where everything is...

I have it all under lock and key until I find a buyer, I have enough duplicate stuff at home to keep me busy. I keep metrics and SAE together and organize by types of tool.

+1 on roller bearing drawers for any than other than a dull screwdriver and a rusty pair of pliers.

Attachments

• Toolbox.JPG
    Toolbox.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 17
  • tools.jpg
    tools.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 18
I have one big 2 piece roller for most mechanic tools.

Top drawer is stethoscope, digital micrometer, vernier calipers, compression gauge, crank pullers, infrequently used stuff.

Next drawer down is all chisels, files, punches, picks, tweezers, flashlights and magnets.

Next drawer is SAE and metric tap and die kits, reamers, drill index, screw extractors...

Next drawer is full of scredrivers, pry bars, alignment tools..

Next drawer is c clamps, and pliers of all sorts, vise grips, channel locks, some knives...

Next drawer is metric wrenches, torque wrenches, some home made stuff.

Next drawer all metric sockets, ratchets, extensions and adapters

Next drawer is SAE sockets

Next drawer is SAE wrenches if all sorts and big adjustable wrenches.

Next drawer is SAE and metric allen sets. Ball end, regular, socket and handheld. Torx also go here

Next is air tools, hammers, mighty vac.

That's it in that tool box.

A small roller has all kinds of oddball stuff. A drawer of air compressor accessories. A drawer of electrical tools including meters, test light, soldering iron, etc. A drawer of Dremel stuff and grinding stuff. A drawer with drill and grinder and bits. A ton of misc hardware (magic bolt bin I started over 20 years ago) a drawer of misc junk I use to cobble stuff together (all thread and metal pieces, hose...) and a metric and sae thread restorer kit.

A couple old metal cabinets from a 1950 something kitchen. One has cleaning/polishing supplies. The other has electrical supplies like wire, tape, heat shrink, terminals. ..

A pressed wood wardrobe thing holds all my oils, grease, carb clean, brake clean, wd40, pb blaster, gasket makers, loctite, etc.... chemical warehouse.

A couple work benches, dressers, and piles of other crap.

I won't get into the other side which holds household construction tools. I've been working on an addition over a year and got a mess!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Folgers plastic works for me, with those nifty built in carrying handles.
And yes, like other have said, Zeus has the best drawers, I'd like to see what's in them.
Wait, that didn't sound quite right....................
Why do we both have 10 folgers cans Miles?-:confused2:--Great minds think alike.

I've got tools I've collected over 40 years. But the ones I use 90% of the time fit in a tool bag I can carry. Arranged? Aw, no.

Right now I'm there with you Steve. I have my tools, hardware, wiring and spare bit for working on Redbone collected in my m/c trailer(mostly) for the summer. Then I drag them all back into the basement for the winter, not very organized for sure. I will need a dedicated workshop to get organized at this point and more tool storage than the 27" Craftsman roller base with a 10 drawer top box, 24" smaller roller base, and assorted sizes of tool boxes that I use now.

Right now I'm there with you Steve. I have my tools, hardware, wiring and spare bit for working on Redbone collected in my m/c trailer(mostly) for the summer. Then I drag them all back into the basement for the winter, not very organized for sure. I will need a dedicated workshop to get organized at this point and more tool storage than the 27" Craftsman roller base with a 10 drawer top box, 24" smaller roller base, and assorted sizes of tool boxes that I use now.

Bring back sweater girl.

My tools for on the road I finial stopped just chucking them into a big bag...helps keep it organized and also if something is missing. Buddy has a laser machine to cut all the tool spots..can use a knife but that's not as cool as using lasers.

Attachments

• 20160513_185501.jpg
    20160513_185501.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 14
Back