How many of you guys bought the temp switch rather than install a manual fan switch?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: How many of you guys bought the temp switch rather than install a manual fan swit

I can easily tell when the fan kicks on. Maybe the aluminum blade is a bit louder/shoves more air than stock, but even with the motor idling and a full face helmet I can hear it, and shortly feel the blast of hot air on my legs.

For no other reason than personal comfort, I'd rather run the engine cooler in traffic. I highly doubt anyone here gives two hoots about the engine might not be combusting quite as efficiently, since you're just idling in neutral anyway. So your pick, roasted nuts or a totally insignificant increase in emissions.

When riding, I'm running the cooling system the way Yamaha designed it, and it settles at the temps I noted above.

It wouldn't surprise me if Yam spec'd the running temp higher to comply with emissions requirements. As noted, cool motors tend to be a bit less eco-friendly. Could be Yam's way of nodding yes but saying no.

Re: How many of you guys bought the temp switch rather than install a manual fan swit

Sam, when you say your fan doesn't kick on, it's really, really hard to see on mine. I had to stand there with my eye down the radiator shroud and turn off the key to see it stop spinning. I couldn't hear it or feel it.

I pulled into a parking lot once on a hot day to put in some ear plugs and I watched the gauge climb, it never stopped. I eventually shut the bike off, that led me to believe the fan never switched on. I never got a visual confirmation. Ill have to look next time to be 100% certain.

Sam, can you can jump the switch and check the fan? I'd want to make sure that was working before I went out again (unless of course, I knew I wasn't stopping until I got back). Sounds like yours might not be working though.

Ra, I bet the aluminum fan is louder (or I'm going deaf). Looks like a little plastic one stock from what I can see. I haven't gone in there, but it was really quiet. I've been playing rock guitar in bands for about 25 years, so my ears are definitely not what they once were. :punk: I might not be hearing it.

Last edited:

I connected the fan directly to the battery before putting the bike away for the winter and it was working. Soon as I have the patience ill go out to the garage and jump it to see what happens.

Cool. I'll give an update when I get my part installed

Bridging the wires at the thermoswitch turns the fan on. However, it shows no resistance reading when cold. Not sure if that means "discontinuity" which according to the manual would be correct, or its broken.

I ride to work through stop and go traffic pretty much every day. I can hear the fan kick on and off constantly. I have sat at a light and watched the gauge. Goes up almost all the way to red, fan kicks on, then drops to just below the half way mark and the fan turns off. And it runs this cycle constantly. In the hot summer days it seems like it only takes a couple of minutes to heat up and kick the fan back on after it turns off. I know it is within spec but it makes me feel better for the engine to be a consistent temp. I installed the manual switch and turn it on when temp rises about 3/4 of the way to the red line. The temp will drop to the half way mark and stay there with the fan on. I am not seeing the gauge go up and down as the fan turns on every few minutes. I just installed a manual switch to jump the one under the cap. It won't run with the key off and it has a small LED on it so I can see when I have it set to on, even in the dark.

I have a 2007 max that does the same thing as everyone describes,almost in the red before the fan kicks on.I am going to put a fan switch on so I can turn it on in traffic before it gets that hot, but I would bet its just the gauge thats not real accurate that we freak out about.If the cooling system was a problem Yamaha would have fixed it before they had it in production for 22 years.

I can easily tell when the fan kicks on. Maybe the aluminum blade is a bit louder/shoves more air than stock, but even with the motor idling and a full face helmet I can hear it, and shortly feel the blast of hot air on my legs.

For no other reason than personal comfort, I'd rather run the engine cooler in traffic. I highly doubt anyone here gives two hoots about the engine might not be combusting quite as efficiently, since you're just idling in neutral anyway. So your pick, roasted nuts or a totally insignificant increase in emissions.

When riding, I'm running the cooling system the way Yamaha designed it, and it settles at the temps I noted above.

It wouldn't surprise me if Yam spec'd the running temp higher to comply with emissions requirements. As noted, cool motors tend to be a bit less eco-friendly. Could be Yam's way of nodding yes but saying no.

Roasted nuts would definitely not e good. Hasaaaaaaaa that was very funny

I replaced my sensor and thermostat and I have a digital gauge that reads actual coolant temp and my fan kicks on at roughly 200 degrees and even sitting in traffic it never goes over 210 and that was in last summers 105 degree heat outside sitting in traffic... Going down the road mine holds about a steady 180 or so, right where the new thermostat is rated at... I've got enough switches on my bike, I don't need any more!! LOL

Awesome post guys, I learned alot.....as usual.

After doing a lot of research here, I went ahead and ordered the radiator fan switch kit from VMax Outlaw. Between that, new antifreeze and the water-wetter I hope to eliminate the overheating problem. It was 65 degrees today and within 2 long red lights, the temp was going to the red. I had to bail to some side roads to keep moving. I don't want to drive in traffic until I do something, but honestly I'm too lazy to wire the fan to the kill switch. If I do that, I'm going to want a light in the empty space to tell my ignorant ass I've left the fan on again because I will. :rofl_200:

So, you bolt this up, plug it in and the bike cools like it's supposed to? Seems like a better deal, assuming it works (which I believe it will). Do any of the years not have this problem? Seems odd, especially here in Texas where it's a hundred every day for about 60-90 days in a row. I guess a lot of people fix it early on? The original owner of my bike (per the title) was a woman in Sherman, IL. I guess it gets warm there too? Maybe if you just take cruises where you don't really stop, you never notice.

I ordered the same thing, my fans definitely comes on when it gets hot but at that point the bike wants to shut off so i have to keep revving it to keep it on.

I tried the manual switch thing but it seemed like it was draining power from the battery.

I like my bike but am thinking of giving it up and going with something newer, fuel injected, lighter.

http://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/4690604377.html

Back