How much did you pay to paint your bike

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CustomMax

Reaction score
I needed some scoffs on the rear fender and a couple chips on the faux tank fixed. My "buddy" told me $300 so I gave him the $300 up front. Big mistake!! after months of no progress I said well just maybe put some ghost flames in it so at least it will look a little different. And I said I'll have to make payments for the extra. I priced the paint and base so I figured I'd owe him a little but not a whole lot more. Well, today I stopped in and wow it's painted and looks good. But needs buffed to be finished. Then he said maybe next week. WTF!!! I even hand sanded the rear fiberglass fender 2X wider than stock for my 250 tire which took 20 hrs by hand to save money. "$800 more" he said. Holy fuck!!!! I almost died! So how much should I have expected? That sounds really steep for 3 small pieces. What do you guys think? Let me know, Thanks, Ed

Wow sounds like your getting railed to me, why didnt you ask him how much for the flames before you told him to do it?
Just for a reference i paid $600 for my paint job.
He sanded all the old paint, painted all 3 pieces with airbrushing and did my belly pan too.
oh ya he had it all done in 10 days

:punk: I just sent off a set to Colormania in California for $695 for Ghost Flames and any color you want. It's on Ebay and has been for months. Check their site or Ebay #390312036631. They have a great rating and a 5 year warranty. Sounds like a great company. I've got about 3 sets I've painted but this looks good. Tell your friend he's a little high, Ha Ha, must be the lead based paint. Spurs

$700.00. 7 pieces: 2 fenders, 1 faux tank cover, 2 mega scoops, 2 side panels. The new scoops and side panels took some extra prep time. Since I was not getting any graphics, I took them to an auto body shop. I'm very happy with the job they did. It did take them a few weeks to get them done.

That's the worst part, I did ask how much more for the ghost flames and he said he didn't know until it was done. That's my bad I guess but now I know better than ever assume that because I do shit for friends for next to nothing if not nothing it doesnt mean they will return the favor. Live and learn I guess. If it wasn't for the custom rear fender I'd tell him to keep them and go buy new and start over. Just kinda sick feeling knowing I got hosed. I did the last mods this year ( pics to come soon) that I'll do to this bike.

I spent $ 600 for the fenders,side covers,air box lid and the mural on the rear fender and it was a nightmare...........took forever.........first guy didnt finish it............second guy messed up my ghost flames.( the ones I dont have ) so..........10 weeks later I got what I have , not what I wanted,but I think it looks alright.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 2010-05-16_09.47.46.jpg
    2010-05-16_09.47.46.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 39
Think I need to go up on my prices.LOL I charge $ 275 to do a faux cover & both fenders price goes up with extra parts. I charge a little more for bikes with full size tanks. I am doing an FXR 2 tone right now for $ 450

My local Chevy dealerships paint & body shop foreman has done 3 jobs for my Chevy truck. We get along . He painted my '98 , Mercedes black metallic for $ 350 , front fender & faux tank cover . Light sanding only . After this last job on my Chevy , he ordered a little extra and is going to match the 2000 Chevy blue to my '90 for $ 250 , tank & both fenders . :punk:

CustomMax: Friends like you have should be head dunked in a Septic Tank. Sounds like some of the people who think they're my friends. I'm weeding them out 1 by 1. Seems I've met a much higher class of people through the VMOA and now this VMax Forum...Makes me sad to hear that someone you call a friend is screwing you...

Bryan List who used to do helmet themes for major helmet makers did Vinyl Wrap on my 94. He's not really a friend but we worked together for a week making up the graphics and he only charged me $550.00 total. He used to get $8,000.00 for an original helmet that became marketed in mass quantity...

CaptainKyle did the 4.5 gallon tank on my Sportster. The quality is 1st class. In fact, I've seen a dozen or more jobs he's done, all great. BTW: 4.5 gallons goes 250 miles and it's a hot (For a Harley)1200.

I'm painting my 89. It's been about 15 years since I did a bike. I figure to have $150.00 or so in it for materials when I'm finished. I'd have Kyle do Panels / Fenders if I wanted it perfect....

Go Kick Your X Friends Butt....
Dave

We don't charge anywhere near that much even including light body work and candy paints!

Sean

Not yet. We just got a new line of paints that has incredible reflectivity. Chomping at the bit to paint a set up!

Sean

Tank needed a small dent repaired, so some body work was involve as well.

This has a marble inlay bottom with candy apple red pearl paint then add black tribal flames that appears to float above the other paint coats which gives a 3D effect. These pictures do not even give it justice; $750 cash out the door. Most custom painters in my area was quoting anywhere from $900 to $1200.

Had tank cover and fender back in my hands at the end of the 3rd day.

I know some folks may feel this is way to much money, however, the work and detail of the finish product is simply amazing to see in the sun and was worth the price to me.

HotFoot9511

HotFoot9511

IMGP0462.jpg

Attachments

• IMGP0464.JPG
    IMGP0464.JPG
    181.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMGP0462.JPG
    IMGP0462.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMGP0466.JPG
    IMGP0466.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 33
I don't have any good places for paint up here, but for Flat White, with some bomber style art Thrown in for giggles, I was quoted 500 dollars.

Think I need to go up on my prices.LOL I charge $ 275 to do a faux cover & both fenders price goes up with extra parts. I charge a little more for bikes with full size tanks. I am doing an FXR 2 tone right now for $ 450

Same here...I've paid about 30 bucks for complete painting and all cost went for paint LOL

I just had to pay for materials, I don't have any designs so my paint scheme is just one color, House of Kolors - Euro Red. I'm in the process of planning a paint but trying to decide if I want to add a design elements other considerations. I will probably upgrade to radials before I decide on a new scheme.
My buddy painted it for free since I had helped him build his garage. I thought I was just there to bang nails but it turned out nobody knew how to do layout so I stepped in to help out lay out the door and window framing.

I paid $4,500.00 PLUS TAX for the paint job on mine, and that was 1985 dollars. Factory 1985 OEM red paint. It's just a bit faded after all these years, but overall, I'd say I got my monies worth.

$50 maybe... sprayed with rattle cans from a motor shop, I change my mind too often and modify/scratch a panel more often than that. when it gets old looking I do a teardown and it rises again from the ashes

although, over the years I could easily have spent more than $300 on paint
:rofl_200:

Came with the attached bike too!

Our paint jobs run $400 and up depending on what you want done.

Sean

Latest posts

Back