How to temporarily muffle backfiring?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elimax

Reaction score
Hey all:

New member here with an '89 Max.

I'm working on resolving the backfiring issues with my UFO 4-1 exhaust, and with the help of this forum, I'll get it done, but....in the meantime I live in a real quite neighborhood and the backfiring drives the neighbors crazy!

What can I do to safely muffle the sound for a bit while solving the problem?

Thanks very much!

Elimax

Backfiring on deceleration? What do your plugs look like?

I don't know yet. It's just occuring below 1500 rpm, so I know it's pilot mixture...

I just want to muffle the sound temporarily so the neighbors don't hang me while I adjust the mixture screws. The mixture screws are out 4 turns...but the gas has been in the bike for at least 3 weeks. I'm gonna add some more gas today with the Seafoam in it.

So, again, something to safely, temporarily muffle the sound?

Thanks.

Elimax

You could make a DB killer to mount in the tip which reduces the outlet size and in some cases uses a screen material to lower DB's.

That UFO system has the tendency to be awful loud. Are you sure it's not due to the joints sucking in air which makes the unspent fuel burn and pop? I know a lot of people have been successful at getting rid of the after firing by using high temp RTV on all the joints.

Chris

Ah, the sealing issue may be it...what do you recommend as a good compound to seal the joints? (BTW, thanks for the suggestion!)

Elimax

100% pure silicon from your local hardware store. Sold in clear tubes for you caulking gun.

Sean

Back