VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which tank cover for most HP?

• Air inlet tank cover

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Louvered tank cover

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Leave it alone

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters
Some foam, something like you might find on the exterior of a shop vac filter, would limit rain water entry into the vented faux tank. Of course this would be behind the mesh, out of sight.
And it would have to be securely fastened, maybe with another piece of mesh. Loose pieces of foam would probably mess up your A/F ratio, I reckon :biglaugh:
However, I like what others have already suggested - turning the scoops into "ram air"units. Chrome or black mesh entry ports, (with foam behind) and sheet metal turning vanes to direct the air to the top of the faux tank.
With the puppies directly pointed to the front of the bike, more than enough air should be available for your modified airbox.
I know there is enough room to do something like this. If I was to take out my horns, the black louvers would allow a full flow of cooling air, to the electronics on the left, and the coolant manifold on the right.
Cheers!

Attachments

• Street fairing, scoop extensions.jpg
    Street fairing, scoop extensions.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 24
Some foam, something like you might find on the exterior of a shop vac filter, would limit rain water entry into the vented faux tank. Of course this would be behind the mesh, out of sight.
And it would have to be securely fastened, maybe with another piece of mesh. Loose pieces of foam would probably mess up your A/F ratio, I reckon :biglaugh:

Cheers!

I hadnt thought about that. Some Foam, and then glue some mesh over it should keep it in place. Thanks for the idea.

You gotta get those triple-wide scoops, though to get air to go around the thermostat and all that stuff. Then that side rams in hot air while the other side rams in whatever is outside.

I like the idea of a scoop setup like the chevelles...use another vboost servo piggybacked off the factory wiring so they both open together, some rubber gasket around the edges to seal things up when its closed. Could work quite nicely.

The vboost servo has an extra slot that could be tied into something I think. Would be slick to have it and some butterflies or a lid open up. Not sure what jetting it would require but would be interested to test! May have to make one!

On a side note, a little rain in the airbox should not really hurt anything. There is a drain on there that should allow any build up out.

The vboost servo has an extra slot that could be tied into something I think. Would be slick to have it and some butterflies or a lid open up. Not sure what jetting it would require but would be interested to test! May have to make one!

On a side note, a little rain in the airbox should not really hurt anything. There is a drain on there that should allow any build up out.

Thanks for the info, I had forgotten about the drain hole....and true....there have probably been some stage 7's with Pods that have been caught in the rain.

I was just thinking that the simplest thing to do, might be to take a stock cover, and just have some louvers cut into it. From what I can see, 1 to 2 dollars per louver seems to be the going rate.

Back