I D of front brake reservoir

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carnut108

Reaction score
OK, I know this front brake reservoir is made by Nissin and it has a 14 stamped on it. However I can not find a similar one in any forum pic's. It is working perfectly but I want to change the cover to chrome or polished aluminum. The other side(clutch) looks like stock Yamaha and already has a chrome cover.

I want a plain blank cover with no instruction sheet staring me in the face. A V-max emblem or lettering would be ok. Here are some pic's It is a rectangular cover that is 2 3/4 long and 1 7/8 wide.

The screw holes are 2 1/8 center to center. It is 2 " high. An adjustable dial of 1 to 5 is between the break lever and reservoir. The rear view mirror attachment is also molded into the reservoir body. Does the cover I want exist ?

Attachments

• Front brake resevoir.jpg
    Front brake resevoir.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 53
  • front brake resevoir 2.jpg
    front brake resevoir 2.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 45
  • front brake resevoir 3.jpg
    front brake resevoir 3.jpg
    360.1 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
I have checked ebay and can only find the ones with the ball on them, and that is black. I did find one with a FJR logo but I would not do that to my Max.

Looks like I may have FJR or XJR 1300 complete brakes. I just tried to change the brake pads with stock pads and the pads that are on the bike are different. here's some pic's ,are the old pad's (right) 1300 pad's ?
Anyone got a part number for 1300 pad's ? Anyone need a new set of HH pad's, I can not return them because I threw the packaging away. Paid $55., take $30.shipped USA made.

Attachments

• vmax brake pads.jpg
    vmax brake pads.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 19
  • vmax front brake.jpg
    vmax front brake.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 19
I believe that those brakes are the R1 gold dot calipers from a 99-01. The piston size should be 27 mm.

Attachments

• golddots.jpg
    golddots.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I believe that those brakes are the R1 gold dot calipers from a 99-01. The piston size should be 27 mm.

Close....
99-01 R1 had blue dot calipers
02-03 R1 had gold dot calipers

They were also used on the R6. Not sure which years.

I couldn't tell you if the pads changed between the gold/blue dots. I would think they are all the same. However, piston seals are different because the gold dots have aluminum pistons wheras the blue dots have chromed steel pistons.

So, buy a set of brake pads for a 02-03 R1 to fit those gold spots.

Thanks guys, I knew you guys would know. One of the former owners sure put some money into my max.

Close....
99-01 R1 had blue dot calipers
02-03 R1 had gold dot calipers

They were also used on the R6. Not sure which years.

I couldn't tell you if the pads changed between the gold/blue dots. I would think they are all the same. However, piston seals are different because the gold dots have aluminum pistons wheras the blue dots have chromed steel pistons.

So, buy a set of brake pads for a 02-03 R1 to fit those gold spots.

Thanks for the clarification.

You paid way too much for those pads if that price is per caliper. (I think I sell them for $35 per caliper for the R1's and $30 for the Vmax).

The gold dot was a limited edition caliper and the nonlimited edition versions were blue (offered in the same years). The gold dot use an aluminum piston with a non sticking coating on the piston to try and make them operation more smoothly.

Sean

No Sean, this is for two calipers. (4 pads) Thanks for the info on the gold dots. The brakes have always been very smooth and stop well. I just thought I would change the pads while I was working on the front forks ( Installing your chrome lowers) I love to modify but one of the former owners has beat me too it on several things. This is a good thing. I have ordered the correct pads now.

Back