I did the shot gun.....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2fear

Reaction score
My nice running 2005 Vmax started running rough a few weeks back, so I used Seafoam and nothing changed. I used ''Start your engine'' fuel additive and it started to run a lot better, for a while... Then the problem came back, this time worse then before. My bike would pop on deceleration, it would cough and sputter when I whacked the throttle. After researching the shot gun method and getting some words of encouragement from Tom ( Beekeeper ) and some heckling from Bill ( Wildman98 ) to stop being a pussy and tear into them, I figured I would give it a shot. All I can say is wow! I followed the directions on this link http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/shotgun.htm and it was right on the money, 3 out of 4 air/fuel mixture needles and springs had a white powder like residue on them... After my cleaning I took it for a test ride and it runs nice and smooth again, hats off to Lvhead for posting this method, don't be afraid to do it just take your time.

I bought my bike a few months ago, and about 3 weeks ago I started having problems with it not wanting to idle. It hadn't been ridden much in the last year by the previous owner. I did the shotgun on it this last weekend, and it made a huge difference! Two of my air/fuel mixture screws had that white powder residue on the springs so I cleaned them off. I think the carbs still need to be synched so I'm going to do that this weekend with my new Carbtune.

Way to go Chuck!..................Now that wasn't so bad now was it..................:biglaugh:

I bought my bike a few months ago, and about 3 weeks ago I started having problems with it not wanting to idle. It hadn't been ridden much in the last year by the previous owner. I did the shotgun on it this last weekend, and it made a huge difference! Two of my air/fuel mixture screws had that white powder residue on the springs so I cleaned them off. I think the carbs still need to be synched so I'm going to do that this weekend with my new Carbtune.

A good sign you need this is your idle starts to go and it only runs with the choke on. I have bought a few vmax's that only ran with the choke on and I knew thats all it was!

Glad things worked out for all that do this task!

I usually hand polish the needles till shiny when I have them out, yes I'm anal. I use a jeweler's cloth I swiped from the wife.
The shot gun is not hard and a must to learn, because every bike will need it sooner than later. You're going to like that carbtune. People that borrow mine always order one. I suggest plastic plugs on the a/f screw holes. They are available at most hardware stores. It keeps the dirt out and looks better too.
Steve-o

Nothing anal about polishing the needles Steve-o....the tolerance between the jet needles & needle jets is very small, any varnish build-up at all is gonna affect your performance. Nice attention to detail! :clapping:

A jewlers cloth???.....Maybe just a touch anal....:rofl_200:

Glad to hear that solved your backfiring problems Chuck; was getting a little embarassing riding next to 2Fear with all that back-firing going on !! :rofl_200:
Bill & Tom are going to turn you into a V-Max carb mechanic yet !!! :punk:

I've seen how small these jets & openings are with these CV carbs on the V-Max ... and I'm always amazed on how such tiny amounts of crap / impurities / what ever you call it.... in these jets & openings, can have such a huge impact on performance. A BIG +1 for the Shot Gun procedure :clapping:

Polishing the needles----sounds like a good idea even if the bike is runnin' good.
Not trying to hyjack the thread but:

Is there a product to put on the diapharams to keep them good over the years???
Lew

I run a couple-three ozs of cleaner and Marvel Mystery Oil around every fifth tank, both old and new Max. Seemed to help.

Back