I got caught off guard, HELP ????

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodsman30

Reaction score
A fellow wants to trade a car for my bike. The car is a 1986 monte carlo ss and is in show quality shape lots of extras in the motor, new trans, ect..
I really like my bike but also really like the car however, I can only have one to keep the piece with the wife. What would you do????
Please give input:confused2::ummm:

Re: I got caught of gaurd help ????

been lookin 4 a trade like that myself..

i would trade:biglaugh:

figure out some fair values and go from there.

wow that is a pickle! i am very fond of that car! i live in california and if i made that trade i know i would regret it when i am hot sitting in traffic and bikes are splitting lanes passing me! maybe this is one of those time the wife gets pissed off :confused2: she will get over it, life is short if you can afford them both do it :punk: the real question will you be able to find a big enough lock to cage that other mod monkey that comes with it?

What vehicle is going to give you more riding enjoyment?

I had an SS areocoupe, keep the. Max! (IMO)

Ya those old cars are POS's IMO. A buddy in high school had one. The 305 is a lump of a motor and unless he's bored it out to something bigger and put a cam and other goodies in it, I don't see it being a great deal. They handled like poo and didn't go fast stock. If you're looking for a collectors item then maybe I can see going with the car.

Just my .02?

how much do you use your max? how long did it take to get it? if it was a rare muscle car maybe , that i would understand but a mid 80's not the same value. if you can swing both it might keep both your cravings in check. how much is the guy selling the car for, is it a straight up trade with your bike?

I'm as sick a Max as the rest of ya but I'm leaning the other way. I figure how many clean SSs are out there to be had? There are tons of clean Maxes and even more custom ones for pennies on the dollar invested in them. I don't think it is a fair comparison in "Fun" quotient. Sorta apples to oranges to me. Icasually read the popular hot rod magazines and now you can get killer suspension packages that make these things road racers. I don't have to tell any of you how cheap Chevy horsepower is. I say go for the car, especially if it is as clean as you say. You can always pick up another Max down the road. Whole lot easier to hide a Max at a buddys than a car. Oh, and post some pics!

if the ss is to hold any value you cant mod it and it bettter be very nice,I had an 86 areocoupe with 45000 miles on it other then needein paint (it was that faded silver) it was perfect and origanal.got 6000 for it when it came time for my son to race,i bought an inclosed trailer. my mable will Never go anywhere! shes paid for.

This is your decision to make :p

I don't think I'd trade my max. It's become too personal. Maybe if to feel my family I suppose, but not for a Monte Carlo - and I like those car!

here is a pic of the car

Attachments

• 0503001827[1].jpg
    0503001827[1].jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 42
if the ss is to hold any value you cant mod it and it bettter be very nice,I had an 86 areocoupe with 45000 miles on it other then needein paint (it was that faded silver) it was perfect and origanal.got 6000 for it when it came time for my son to race,i bought an inclosed trailer. my mable will Never go anywhere! shes paid for.

In '86 them aerocoupes were made in ultra low numbers, I want to say about 200ish. They made just enough of them to qualify as a production car so they could use the design on the NASCAR circuit.

There used to be one down the street from here a few years back. I believe that one got totalled in the winter.

In '86 them aerocoupes were made in ultra low numbers, I want to say about 200ish. They made just enough of them to qualify as a production car so they could use the design on the NASCAR circuit.

There used to be one down the street from here a few years back. I believe that one got totalled in the winter.

KJ your right ,very low numbers,and I wanted to keep the car:bang head: but .... the kid was racin and we needed the trailer, sooo the car went. and as soon as he was a big boy (22 now) and could get to the races himself,the trailer went and along came mable:clapping:.

Not me! ('course I'm not getting rid of the max until I'm dead)
I hate 305's with a passion, and was never fond of post 79-80 Monte Carlos. I did make a 4x4 out of a 79 once, and loved that car, but I'd never do it over my Vmax.
I'd have to think hard about a 72 though.

I dunno. The 305 isn't much of a motor to be a true "muscle car"....only 180hp stock even in the SS "HO" edition (compared to 160ish in the non-ss). Even with some mods to the motor you'll be lucky to get 225, and that's still not a whole lot of power to scoot around a heavy 80's car. My mother has an Acura TL with 260hp and weighs a bit over 3000 lbs. I think it's pretty quick, though no comparison to the Vmax. Even if you managed to get 260hp out of that 305, it still won't perform to a bone-stock modern "sport sedan" the typical soccer mom might drive. Plus, 80's cars just aren't worth what the "real" muscle cars were, while the Vmax was and is the original, true "muscle bike". I'd think fun-factor would be no comparison. The Vmax is like a million times faster, and even a stock '85 would handle better.

Not a very good trade IMO. Chevy kind of bastardized the "SS" badge as years went on. They give it a few extra horsepower and racing stripes and now it's a "super sport"? It used to mean the special package that had the super-size V8 and 300+ horsepower(at least gross). How a POS econo-box like the Cobalt could ever be "super sporty" is waaaay beyond me. Maybe to ricer wannabes that can't afford a Civic?

Latest posts

Back