I hate to ask this, but...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Ok, I hope nobody thinks I'm as stupid as the guy on the gixxer forum who had no idea what the side stand switch was but I'm having some problems fitting my "new to me" sissy bar. Got a yamaha brand one from Furber, PC black. Come with no directions and a couple bolts. Got the fender supports and the backrest on no problem but when I go to mount the reflector/filler plate for the back and the bracket that holds down the passenger seat I have issues. Not sure if maybe they sent the wrong hardware or if I'm doing something wrong. I feel pretty stupid about asking this. If I mount the bracket that the passenger seat clips into the heads of the bolts that hold it to the sissy bar rails prevent me from being able to bolt down my rear reflector/filler plate. Things just aren't working out. I wasn't sure if I recieved the wrong hardware (should I have low profile bolts) or if the sissy bar should come with a different reflector/filler plate from stock to make it all go together? Anyone have some input on this, or a photo of theirs installed with the seat off. Planning to go out this weekend with the wife but she hates riding without one. Although the kidney punches she throws after the front wheel comes down don't hurt that bad.

Attachments

• DSC01140.jpg
    DSC01140.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC01141.jpg
    DSC01141.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC01142.jpg
    DSC01142.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC01145.jpg
    DSC01145.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC01146.jpg
    DSC01146.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 31
Ok, I hope nobody thinks I'm as stupid as the guy on the gixxer forum who had no idea what the side stand switch was but I'm having some problems fitting my "new to me" sissy bar. Got a yamaha brand one from Furber, PC black. Come with no directions and a couple bolts. Got the fender supports and the backrest on no problem but when I go to mount the reflector/filler plate for the back and the bracket that holds down the passenger seat I have issues. Not sure if maybe they sent the wrong hardware or if I'm doing something wrong. I feel pretty stupid about asking this. If I mount the bracket that the passenger seat clips into the heads of the bolts that hold it to the sissy bar rails prevent me from being able to bolt down my rear reflector/filler plate. Things just aren't working out. I wasn't sure if I recieved the wrong hardware (should I have low profile bolts) or if the sissy bar should come with a different reflector/filler plate from stock to make it all go together? Anyone have some input on this, or a photo of theirs installed with the seat off. Planning to go out this weekend with the wife but she hates riding without one. Although the kidney punches she throws after the front wheel comes down don't hurt that bad.

I had to wait 7 months for my Yamaha sissy bar/backrest, on back order, to arrive. Supposedly they were re-tooling the castings, or some such crap. I had the same problems you're having. I can send you a copy of the install directions if you want, but I don't recall them even mentioning this being a problem area. I just did what I had to to make the thing fit, cut down bolts, whatever.

On top on the bolt issue I had to Dremel some sizeable burrs off before even thinking about mounting the reflector. If they actually were re-tooling they did a right shitty job! I was not happy at all, wish I'd have gone with the Exactrep one, no matter what the cost was! :bang head:

Good luck, if you want the directions PM me.

dan

Dan,

Appreciate the feedback.

I called yamaha earlier today and they said they would fax directions to me. Appreciate the offer of you sending them though.

I figured that since I ordered a factory accessory it would bolt up without issues. From what your saying it sounds like I figured wrong. I thought I had the wrong hardware or was missing something because the reflector wasn't lining up correctly. I wasn't expecting to have to modify anything for it to fit. I don't have any issues in doing so but did not want to until I knew it wasn't lining up because I was missing the right hardware.

Ok, Yamaha faxed over directions as promised. I wasn't doing anything wrong. To make the reflector fit I ended up doing the following:

Cut off the tab on filler plate/reflector that "hooks" over top of sissy bar. Remove the nuts securing reflector into filler plate and slightly push out. This gave enough room to remove the metal plate with attached bolts to mount entire filler plate/reflector. Removing the metal plate left me enough room to install the seat support bracket and hardware w/o interference as before. Also allowed the bolts to be installed from bottom up to avoid contact with fender. Picked up (2)M6x1 screws and used existing flats/nuts from filler plate and bolted it up.

Fit of this part is not what I had hoped it would be but, with a little tweaking it worked out and looks as good as it will get.

Back