I must have made the monkey mad

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a113ycat

Reaction score
Im not sure what happened but something is not OK with my bike right now.

I was out of town for a couple of day to see my friends in Baton Rouge ( thats where the NOS 07 is)
anyway so I get home late last night and then after we got the truck unloaded today I went for a ride with my brother. We went about 45 miles and everything was great. after dinner I went to get on my bike to ride home and IT RAN LIKE SHIT!!! I have no idea what happened.

It will not start no matter how warm it is without the choke on. If Im riding and clutch in to slow down to a stop it dies(have to choke to start) I finall got it home and even though I just filled the tank the exhaust smells like its burning varnished gas....I am at a complete loss, on the ride early we were running at about 85-100mph on the way home full throttle wouldnt get me to 70!!!

Help:bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head:

maybe a carb thing? look into the "shotgun" and "pea shooter". also look at the fuel filter. and dump some "sea foam" or "start your engines" in the fuel tank. synch your carbs. how do your plugs look?

Sounds like your bike is jealous, spend some time with it and all will be well

Time cleaning the carbs I think

I had a similar thing happen to me on a Hill Country Ride, I think i got a tank full of bad gas. i made it to the cabins, performed a shot gun cleaning, and fuel treatment. i did flush some black goo from a couple of jets. Seemed to clean things up.

i turn the bike key on every week to start the fuel pump and fill the carbs with fuel whether i ride or not. i beleive this helps to eliminate carb fuel problems since the fuel never gets a chance to evaporate. also keep the tank full

I usually start w/carbs & fuel flow/airflow when something like what you describe happens. When was the last time you changed the fuel filter? Drain the float bowls & capture the gas, see if there is any residue in it. Let it settle to see if any water separates-out. Use one container 4 times or 4 separate containers.

Im going to put it on the lift in the morning and see what comes out. I just put the new plugs in about 2 weeks ago with new boots. Im pretty certain that it is a fuel issue.

From the sounds of it. I would drain the gas out of the tank and then drain the carbs. Take a gas can and fill it with name brand gas and put that in your bike. Before you do, I would dump a whole can of Sea Foam in the tank and then fill it. Sea Foam wont hurt it at all. It will help clean everything.

If you had bad gas to begin with and filled it. You just contaminated the new gas as well. Best thing to do is drain the old and then fill it with new. JMHO

See thats the weird thing. I ride this bike everyday and even rode it the day I went out of town. I was gone 2 days so I dont think the gas went bad in the tank and when we went out last night I filled up at the Exxon station never had an issue with their gas at all.

Well the bike came off the lift and started fine. I had to reset the idle adjustment..Do these have a tendency to back out? never thought that it would but it did. Ran the bike through and it seems to be back to its awesome self. I am curious has anyone every had their bike run differently under changes in the ambient temperatures? I was talking with my mechanic today and he was thinking that could be the case. It was in the 80's when we left that day and in the 50's on my way home that night..

well it's always good to end up with a simple fix....and free. my idle knob hasn't backed yet (knock on wood). i don't know 'bout the temperature differences. if i'm out in the 50s, i think i'd be too worried 'bout keeping my gnads from icing over to notice any difference in the bike's performance:rofl_200:

Hahahaha yeah no shit! I went to Walmart on my way home and bought sweats, neoprene gloves and a beanie changed in the bath room and walked out with tags everywhere but I was warm for teh ride home!!

Well the bike came off the lift and started fine. I had to reset the idle adjustment..Do these have a tendency to back out? never thought that it would but it did. Ran the bike through and it seems to be back to its awesome self. I am curious has anyone every had their bike run differently under changes in the ambient temperatures? I was talking with my mechanic today and he was thinking that could be the case. It was in the 80's when we left that day and in the 50's on my way home that night..

Condensation most probably - my bike always runs terrible when it's been parked in cold/humid environment

For sure could be condensation. If it does it again, pull the plugs and see if one or more is soaked with fuel. Then check each one for good spark. Its easier to check the plugs first before tearing into the carbs!

Sure looks like some ice forming on the needle and slide. Pretty cool how you can fast forward the video and notice the mass growing. Then you open it up and it all disappears. Looks like you just need to hold it WFO every once it a while to clear it up :biglaugh:

Carb icing?

Ya know that is very possible. I mean other that the weird smell (which would possibly come from the same source) My bike ran and sounded like that. I Would have never thought of the Icing thing I mean hell I live in the part of the country where we have no real winters to speak of, so Im going to check into that for sure if this happens again. Is there a way to prevent this? Like a K&N filter with a pre-filter cover on it? Or a little sea foam in the fuel?

Or maybe Ninjneer is right and the weather is trying to knock up my carbs!:rofl_200:

Well It was cool this morning and the moisture in the air was pretty much like it was the other night and so I figured I would do that "Icing" check...HOLY CRAP!! it was just like the video. I dont know that it was the problem I had the other night because I have a new K&N filter that shouldnt have let that much moisture through but I guess anything is possible right??:confused2::ummm::confused2:

Well It was cool this morning and the moisture in the air was pretty much like it was the other night and so I figured I would do that "Icing" check...HOLY CRAP!! it was just like the video. I dont know that it was the problem I had the other night because I have a new K&N filter that shouldnt have let that much moisture through but I guess anything is possible right??:confused2::ummm::confused2:
wow-wow-shock-surprise-smiley-emoticon-000325-large.gif

Latest posts

Back