Idle / Low end problems

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsxrchad

Reaction score
Hi all!

I am determined to get my VMAX back on the road. It has been down for 2 years. Here is what is going on..

It won't idle. When I am driving it it feels fine. Pull in clutch, dies. Stop and go traffic I have to keep reving the engine to keep it running. I took it to a repair garage here in San Antonio - a good one - they told me there was rust in the carbs and cleaned the carbs and told me to replace the tank. I didn't believe them on the rusty tank. I looked in there with a light and it looked good. Bike ran awesome, I rode it all season. Towards the end of the season it started to idle bad again and by the next spring it was no good. So I took it back to the shop and they cleaned my carbs again and I replaced the gas tank.
It didnt run AS good this time, but it was drivable. then half way through the season it was no good.

Since then I have done the shotgun on it 3 times. Each time it improves for 2-3 tanks and then I have to do it again. After the last time, I replaced the fuel filter. Diminishing returns.

I am tired of not having the vmax running. Has anyone had this type of problems or want to toss some ideas at me?

Thanks

C

What did you find in the old fuel filter when you took it out? Was there more crap in it?

What's currently in your new filter? Any more crap in there now?

It may be time to coat your fuel tank, or replace it if there is indeed rust coming from it and continually clogging things up.

I did replace the tank. It is new. The fuel sender had a rusty appearance to it, but I thought it was aluminium so I wiped it down and put it back in the new tank.

The old filter had some contaminants in it, but did not contain a large amount of rust particles.

Is there a chance I should replace or clean the fuel pump or replace fuel lines?

I just do not want to spend every 4 weekends cleaning the carbs this year...

Last edited:
That chit has a way of lingering around once it gets in the system.

If the shotgun don't completely clear up the idle, I'd say pull the carbs again and individually clean out the idle jet block jets. Be certain and for sure you have a clean filter on it and go from there - again. You can also pull the fuel pump and quickly inspect it's internals, making sure the little rubber valves are both located properly while making sure there's no contaminates hiding inside.

If it only idles badly AFTER WARM UP, then we can discuss different problems which might be present.

Ok Good ideas... I will tear her apart next weekend. Will come back with results and maybe some pics if I find anything....

Thanks all for the input and the stickies. I think I can do this....

C

Be sure to get inside the jet block, sounds like your idle jets are still plugged, shotgun usually won't always fix that.

Thanks.

I did find a photo of the fuel sender. Is this part steel or aluminium? (Is it Rusted or does it have rust ON it)?

Also I thought I would toss in a pic of the Max and the stable.

Cheers

Chad
rusty_sending_unit.jpg

vmax.jpg

garage.jpg

Sorry, all I can see of your pics is the dreaded "X" in a box.

When I right click, the "open in a new window" option is grayed out, and not available.

What are you using, Internet Explorer....or Google chrome? Google chrome is what is giving me the option.

The Pictures show up fine in his post for me using IE 11 on Win 7 x64.
IE 11 doesn't give me the option to open them in a new tab when they aren't attachments either.
Are you guys using an Ad blocker or possibly a malware app that block some websites ?

That maybe, I'm at work, and it came up "soft blocked" as an advertisement. After i clicked yes.....the pics opened up.

I have IE11 here at work, but I have no idea of how many, or which popup blockers may be installed.....all out of my reach since the IT guy controls everything remotely for this PC.

I can see the photos just fine. To answer your question, I'm 99% on the top part being aluminum but that can be verified with a magnet.

Nice stable! :thumbs up:

Well, the tear down started last night. Fuel filter is clean and the fuel pump had no contaminates in it.

Tank and carbs this weekend.

C

Attachments

• 2014-05-12 21.06.42.jpg
    2014-05-12 21.06.42.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 26

Latest posts

Back