Ignitor...One coil at a time or all of them?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RagingMain

Reaction score
Hello All
If the ignitor is going will it take all four coils or can it just take one of them out?
Cheers:cheers:

When mine went out it was running on 3 cylinders. Sometimes all four won't fire. It could be p/u coils too.

Mark

When mine was flaking out it would run on 3 cylinders some of the time, occasionally run just fine and occasionally just freaking die completely on the side of the road.

It was very intermittent and a pain in the ass to troubleshoot.

The service manual, available over at Vmax outlaw has a very simple troubleshooting procedure to check the coils and pickups. It basically says if the coils and pickups are checking out good to replace the TCI (ignitor)

I recommend the Dyna 3000, others don't like them but I've got close to 20,000 on my with no problems, an adjustable advance curve and a rev-limiter to boot.

It's also much cheaper than a new yamaha TCI, sometimes used yamaha ignitors can be found on Ebay for cheap.

Rusty.

yeah sounds like I need a new ignitor. I have checked the coils and all 4 are in spec.
This site is awesome and I really appreciate all the help.
What should I expect to pay for one???

One last question, is there a write up any where on replacing the ignitor? Didnt look fun to get to let alone get out of there

yeah sounds like I need a new ignitor. I have checked the coils and all 4 are in spec.
This site is awesome and I really appreciate all the help.
What should I expect to pay for one???

One last question, is there a write up any where on replacing the ignitor? Didnt look fun to get to let alone get out of there

Order it from U motors and tell them you belong here and you pay 15% over cost...:banana:

Check out the VMF links above!:thumbs up:

Gary Hanes with the VMOA also sells them, I didn't know to try University Motors but all the prices I found for them were around $300, hopefully university is less??

Rusty

I've got an 86 that I'm parting out. I haven't dug out the TCI box yet, but will for $125.

Steve

:cheers:Ok so if one lost spark to both Rear Cylinders, before one went diving into and replacing the Ignitor...How would one go about checking the wiring harness from the Ignitor back to the plug for the coils. Obviously I know where the rear coils are, just need to know the plug up front.
Thanks in advance guys, this is kicking my ass

Latest posts

Back