I'm back

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jinks

Reaction score
several years ago I was on this forum. I tried to find my old user name but couldn't "nor do I even remember," LOL. I use to own a 85 V max, then sold it after a real scary high speed wobble at 142mph ! Lucky to be here again. I've had a bunch of different bikes since then, but always had the old v max in the back of my mind. Recently....I went to see a Exercise machine that was at a storage bin place. When the guy opened opened the door I seen an unwanted Vmax under a dusty tarp. Its a 1998. He told me that he really didn't know why he bought it and would like to get rid of it..........I helped him out, LOL
It runs very nice but the tires are cracked from sitting. I'm exited again, and cant wait to re paint it and bring it back to the bike it was. I forgot how dam fast these bikes are !! I got to get use to it all over again.
mad%20max%20003_zpsveemr11h.jpg

Welcome back. Yep the vmax is a powerful hook.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

The last one I had,..I painted it german coca cola red. But I think I want to try Bronze. Ive never painted anything that color yet. Not sure if its gonna look good or bad. here is a pick of my old 85.
finalvmaxpaint001.jpg

If you had that fairing on for the death wobble incident, that was likely the source of it! A good looking '85. Welcome back. Go w/radials if you can, it helps handling tremendously. At least a new rear wheel would be required, 17" gives you the most tire choices.

Welcome back. 90 mph is it for me with the taller wind shield on. I got the weave of death at 130 mph while passing a Harley doing 55 in the left lane. I'll bet he got a good laugh at my expense.

So the bigger the windshield, the more Prone they are to high speed wobble ??

I just sold this Harley...03 softail twin cam, gear drive, S&S 106cubic inch Top -End with Screamin eagle cams & Dyna Programmable ignition. Vance & Hines pipes .It pulled really hard,..very impressive ! you can build these Harleys to Rip for sure. But the wiring & electronics in the 03 to 06 is extremely poor. I was seldom beat by all the bikes I raced....but never went against any max's. ...and, I'm not a "Harley guy", I'm just a motorcycle enthusiast that enjoys anything with 2 wheels & a motor.
03%20softail%20001_zpsc1jzaf3d.jpg

So the bigger the windshield, the more Prone they are to high speed wobble ??
Yes....it's a giant sail catching air. Some high speed wobbles have been traced back to the factory back rest.

Yes....it's a giant sail catching air. Some high speed wobbles have been traced back to the factory back rest.

I believe the back rest thing,....my 1999 Honda magna actually tracked better at high speeds when it was on the bike. I though it was just my imagination.
My 85 max originally came with a real tiny windshield,..now I know why.

Well I took your advice on the size of winshield to put on. I went with the smallest one I could find at the store. Its a "spitfire". It mounted up sturdy and I went for a 160kms blast down the highway for about 5 miles......changing lanes, moving the bike around.......No ill affects at all. It works extremely well. Thanks for the Heads-Up !!

windshield%20001_zpszgay1uhs.jpg

windshield%20002_zpspi2cilvw.jpg

I have a Spitfire for the '96 Softail but we don't have cold weather here much & I am not a long-distance biker. It sits in a box usually.

Handlebar mount fairings I think are more prone to handling disturbances from my experience. Frame mount fairings are the least prone. This is my anecdotal experience. If you check reliable sources you will likely find similar info. And the larger the surface area the more-likely it is to affect handling (handlebar mounts)

If that's a decal I would remove it from the base of the windshield for a cleaner look.

Back