I'm sorry to ask this, but Wheelies??? How to?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hit the throttle, let off, and catch the bounce. Should come up just fine.

Sean

I would suggest covering the rear brake.

1st gear about 4000-5000 rpm's, snap the throttle shut and then whack it open. The briefly compressed fork springs help it up. At this rpm in first it's guaranteed to come up on decent pavement.

Suggestion, when its getting high enough where most go into panic mode, slam the throttle closed and come down too hard and possibly wreck..........;

Don't do that, just quickly grab second and stay in it and the higher gear and lower rpm's/ power will let it down gently.

I don't "ride" wheelies, I just pull them. I don't trust my ability to balance and control a continual wheelie on a 630lb bike with 50 year old reflexes.

Course I wasn't very good when I was younger either. ; )

When i was about 24 on a V65 I missed the second gear shift once, went to neutral, probably panicked, and came down so hard the resultant crash crushed the bones in my left foot between the pavement and the engine case, then had to ride 150 miles home with blood pouring ing out of my shoe. My foot is still fucked up to this day.

Wheelies are no laughing matter.

That day really sucked

You can play with your rpm's you do this at to get the best results. Prolly like Mac said its better up around 6k

This doesn't work for me, at all. Even with a warm shinko on a sticky road. The ONLY way I have successfully pulled a wheelie was with a passenger, was gonna shoe my woman a rolling burnout and almost 12'd it. I have even tried clutching it up, all it does is break traction. I have popped it up a few inches shifting from 1st to 2nd, but I wasn't trying to. I think its cause of my weight (or lack of) or my clutch, don't know tho.

I've tried it with my rear shocks set at 5 and at 1, still just burns the tire. My list of things to do is too long, can't figure out what to do first. PCW clutch kit is pretty high on it tho

I don't often carry a passenger but if I stay in the throttle in 1st, it nearly-always will come-up. Even when alone, if I ride it hard in 1st, I can feel the engine just unload the front wheel.

The throttle chop/WFO will usually do it for me. FL has big fines now for being caught doing one, so I am not too-anxious to try any more.

Try clicking on the lower left of the youetube screen and it will give you full view of the irish hills ride and if you watch how i pull wheelie's you should be able to catch on. If you dont want to slam on the way down when you feel it fall just hit the throttle and it wont crash hard. That said i wont lie to you if you pull wheelie's on a vmax sooner or later you will bust your nutt's hard. And i would say sooner. Good luck.

i can wheelie the vmax useing the v boost and snatching the clutch but is it worth put an old steel framed bike trough the stress plus the bike weight is a lot to be jumping up and down on the front forks get a dr 350 for wheels they will wheelie from 1 to 4 and the balance point is great on them

Not to be a dick but a wheelie is something you can't teach IMO it comes to you youll get the feel for it . We will be reading a thread on how you flipped your bike over backwards . Good luck

There is nothing like a power wheelie. The first ride with a new full header I noticed how I could turn the bars to either side and nothing happened when I hit it hard. Slamming it open while at 5k does it for me in 1st.
I'll bet Rusty doesn't have any problem popping the front end with the new engine.
Steve-o

I agree NHV. I can show you all i want but until you get the balls to bust your balls or your ass you wont know how. and a vmax is not the bike to do this on. I did all my crashing at a young age and i still had to get to know the vmax and a wheelie. I feel its not a good idea to ride out long wheelie's on a max. I wish i could get the max on the rear tire in 2nd on flat road with a twist of the throttle and no clutch but its to heavy so i have to use the hills for 2nd and no clutch. 1st gear is over by the time you get 3 blips of the throttle. and if you do get it up in 2nd you are doing better than 50mph some time's 65mph or so when it come's down. I will try a third gear wheelie over the hill's on the roller coster road this weekend. Just to watch beekeeper shake his head at my crazy ass. This will be around 60mph to 80mph.

Also, where you put your weight is important. Leaning fwd (my new riding position with the superbike bars) is more condusive to burnouts. Get the weight back more and it'll come up. Like Wayne and Mike mentioned, carefull. I like smoking it up better.
My wife has this guy friend that talks more than any woman I ever met, he won't leave, sits in his car talking crap forever with the car running ect. I know it's cheating, but I pulled up to his window,locked my front brake and filled his car with burning rubber till he left:Shocked:(the wife laughed, she didn't even say act my age). Haven't seen him in quite a while. I think I'll set up the KZ for unwanted guest. A nice Dunlop rear tire?
Steve

I usually put my butt against the movable seat wedge & the front will get light as-soon as you whack-open the throttle, the longer you hold it open, the higher it comes. And as mentioned, the throttle-chop closed & then WFO will usually pop it up quickly, but is harder to control. I have stock handlebars, I ride my FZR1000 if I want the clip-on experience. That will power-up the front wheel easily even w/the clip-ons, as it's more powerful than the VMax & 80% of its weight.

Even my R100 RT BMW would do a power wheelie, because of torque, not HP. I liked to surprise the H-D guys w/their hugely expensive bikes, all custom paint & shiny bling, and then they couldn't beat a humble BMW w/saddlebags. The fastest H-D's would leave me, but the tables were turned for the others. Then when you came to the next light, they wouldn't even look-over!:rofl_200::clapping::biglaugh: They must have been steaming under their beanies, "I spent $30K+ and I can't beat that?!!!"

I smoked a hd nitetrain on my voyager and at the next light he was looking at my stock in line 4 like it was an alien or something. Not as fast as a venture but it would hold its own in the big bike world.

I had a buddy back in college that could wheelie, balance and run thru the gears on an old 1000cc gold wing. I don't know how much those weighed.

It's just a matter of the right rpm and technique.

You can also use the clutch pop at speed method but I think that's not as controllable.

Back