Inner Fork Tube Scratches

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxist

Reaction score
I was updating the springs on my 94 vmax and noticed some long grooves on the inner fork tube on my right fork (which was leaking). You can just feel them if you run your fingernail across them. Does anyone know if polishing will work well enough to smooth them out to keep the seal or do I need to replace the inner tube:confused2:

The only way to repair scratches that are bad enough to wreck the seals is to install a donor fork tube or have your existing one hard chromed. I would think it would be cheaper to pick up a decent fork tube from ebay or sean if its really bad.

I wouldn't try to polish the scratches out, you would probably remove too much material and have a bigger chance at a leak. You could try to wet sand over the scratches with some fine sandpaper to remove any ridges or burrs that may snag the seal. If its already messed up you don't have anything to lose by trying that other than the cost of a fork seal and some oil.

Thanks for the feedback, here's a pic of what it looks like...

70fhaa.jpg

I thought you had accidentally scratched your fork tube somehow. Looks like those scratches are worn in. I would disassemble and check the tube for straightness and also check out the bushing in the fork leg. The one that you drive in under the washer that sits below the fork seal.

The scratches don't look horrible. Depending on how tight your budget is, if the tube is straight you may be able to replace the bushing and seal then do a quick polish and leave it for awhile. Hard to say for sure though.

If you end up needing a new fork tube, or any parts at all, contact Sean Morley: [email protected] He is a great guy to deal with.

Thanks Mike, yeah that's what I thought, It sure is nice to have a second opinion. I'll give it a light polish with the wet sand paper and see how it works. It wasn't leaking bad, just some minor wetting on the top of the seal so hopefully it will last through summer and fall. My wife won't be happy if I have to spend another $250 on it this year.

It's hard to gauge from a picture but I agree that the lower bushing should be replaced too. I should have some used tubes but you may be able to smooth up your forks and have it seal just fine anyway. Seals are cheap (relatively) so it may be worth the attempt anyway.

Sean

I got everything back together and looks like the new seals are working.

Thanks for the help guys!

Back