Inspiration for the Ducati Monster was a Yamaha 2-stroke

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
Evere see one of these? Me neither. It sure does look familiar, though. Maybe someone (Mr. Galuzzi in Italy) saw this and thought the looks and layout deserved a larger four-stroke powerplant.

SDR200 (1986)

When Ducati launched the Monster in 1992 it was seen as something quite different to bikes that had gone before, but there must have been a few people who’d worked on the Yamaha SDR200 that thought it looked familiar. Trellis frame? Yep. Three-spoke wheels? Check. Minimalist styling (ie a tank and little else)? Definitely. OK, so the Yamaha had a two-stroke, 200cc single, but the basics were there, and this was way back in 1986. Sadly, the little Yamaha only lasted in production for a year and wasn’t sold over here.

Read more: http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle...might-not-know-about/25516.html#ixzz3EcIcGdwg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 26
I've always wanted a YSR, so I could get a 250, or maybe even a bit bigger single, slipped inside. Would be a really fun little bike then.

Following links below, I think I found the predecessor to the Grom in the ZB50 Monkey R.
ZB_50web.jpg

Pretty-sure that's a Captain Kyle bike of interest (the Monkey) about-which he has posted.

I've always wanted a YSR, so I could get a 250, or maybe even a bit bigger single, slipped inside. Would be a really fun little bike then.

Following links below, I think I found the predecessor to the Grom in the ZB50 Monkey R.
ZB_50web.jpg
My neighbor bought a Grom sharp little 125 fuel injected & standard. Nothing like the original monkey bikes. I took it for a ride & its a zippy little thing

Back