Installing Fork Brace

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swilson

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I finally got some free time today to install my new fork brace on my '05 max. What I thought was going to be a five minute job turns out that it may be a bit more in depth. Am I missing something here or do I need to pull the front wheel off to install the new brace? If this is what needs doing, is there any step by step instructions on how to remove the front wheel? Being new to this bike I'd like to ensure I don't screw up. I'd liek to get it right the first time round. Thanks!!

Scott

The front fender is attached to the brace underneath by 4 bolts. I heard it is possible to remove the fender without removing the wheel. It is a tight fit and will involve some "squeezing" of the fender.

It's easier on all years to install the brace with the wheel off. The early fork design can remove the stock brace with the wheel on and some aftermarket braces. The later fork models (93 up) it's virtually impossible to remove it without taking the wheel off.

Sean

Not a difficulty job;

- Lift bike off ground and support it
- Unbolt each caliper from lower fork legs and let hang
-Remove axle bolt, (pay attention to how spacer, etc...
locations)
- take wheel off
- unbolt 4 bolts under the fender and remove fender
- unbolt and remove 4 bolts on top of fork brace

When you put it back together, leave 4 bolts on top of fork brace loose and only tighten after wheel axle bolt is tight. It will help with fork tube spacing between lower triple tree clamp and lower outer fork tubes (no binding)

Only thing I have to add is to remove the speedo cable from the drive gear.

Mark

Thanks for the instructions and advise guys... I'll start work on it this on Sunday and get back with an update and perhaps some pics too.

Scott

Maybe you need a hub-less front wheel to match your rear? :biglaugh:

Mark

Maybe you need a hub-less front wheel to match your rear? :biglaugh:

Mark

It's in the works as we speak. Had one designed for the factory front, but, now with the USD I had to go another route :biglaugh:

:cheers:

Neil

Back