Intro & funky blinker.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old V65 Rider

Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is my first post on this forum. I use the V4 muscle bike forum a lot and see some other familiar names from there here. Long story short on my Vmax, bought it as a project from a friend that was considering parting it out. Put a pile of $ in parts and my time in it and now enjoy riding it. Still need some cosmetic fixes and fix the V boost but that stuff needs to wait a little while.

About the funky blinker. My left blinker does not come on unless I turn the right blinker on first. Once it has been on I can cancel it and it will come back on but only if I do it within a couple of seconds. The right blinker always works fine. What is the deal?? My guess is I need to replace the flasher.

Just switch the wiring to the turn signal, from the flasher. Does the problem 'transfer' to the other turnsignal? Then it may be the flasher unit. What I mean is to swap the leads going into the turn signal to the other turn signal on the opposite side: RF to LF and RR to LR.

I suggest disassembling the bayonet socket to see what kind of contact you have and using some sandpaper or a Dremel w/a wire brush to clean the bayonet socket interior for a good ground, and the hot lead in the center of the insulator, there will be two hot leads in the front signal because of the running light function.

Also, does it happen w/only the front, only the rear, or are both signals on that side affected? A bad ground on the system at either fixture can affect both lamps. Check for the brass ring which provides a ground being clean and tight, and that the wire isn't broken at the crimp to either the connector or the brass ring. Then take a look at the nylon disconnect. Use a narrow blade to release the portion of the electrical lead in the nylon connector, and again, check for a frayed crimp, corrosion, or other connection problems. Also, use some dielectric grease in the plug to prevent corrosion and to keep-out water.

I had similar problem where when I switched one blinker on, both would blink. It drove me nuts until I figured out that one of the bare wires were touching a bolt and grounding itself out. Wound up just needing some electrical tape to prevent it. Fire-medic lists pretty much everything you need to check out, he is very thorough and a very good source of information.

Blinker fluid needs replaced....

/thread.

Gee, I didn't even think about checking my blinker fluid, THANKS!! I actually know someone that went to the parts store asking for blinker fluid.

Thanks for the other replies also. Guess I should check the wiring before buying parts.

Look in the headlight housing to see if something is touching that shouldn't be. Also take apart the switch housing. It could be something in there.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Blinker fluid...WOW that brought back a ton of memories of pranks we used to play on new Airmen entering the Air Force. Things like needing a K-9 pee kit for inspection, helicopter watch on the roof of the dorm and my favorite the good ole mattress exchange so you get a fresh mattress but the problem is there is never anyone around to take you to the hard to find exchange service so you had to carry the mattress miles and miles. HA!!!!

Latest posts

Back