Irma Hurricane path past Florida

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to hear Phillip, no standing water that I could see. Has the predicted storm surge hit?
Praying for the best for Phillip, Tim and especially Dave and family in the Tampa area which is in the direct path of Irma. Stay safe!

Storm shouldn't be much by the time it gets to Tampa Bay. Bummer:confused2:

May be subsiding a bit. Less rain, gusts don't appear to be as violent. Standing water already into the sandy limestone here, but downtown Miami Brickell Ave business district was flooded as it's next to Biscayne Bay & the Miami River. 2 construction cranes destroyed.

Attachments

• 20170910_152936.jpg
    20170910_152936.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 20170910_152931.jpg
    20170910_152931.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 15
Morning coming, a lotta cleanup. Family & 1 home are ok, 2 more houses which were evacuated to check, no idea of status yet. The new Stihl chainsaw is gonna run thru a few tanks of gas.

I hope others to the north are ok.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/weather/hurricane/fl-bz-fpl-irma-power-outages-20170908-story.html

As Hurricane Irma*swept through South Florida, executives at Florida Power & Light warned Sunday that the restoration of power to more than two million homes and businesses will be a slow and dangerous process that will take weeks.

CEO Eric Silagy told a news conference that he expects full power restoration after the storm to take “multi-weeks,” as it did after the Category 5*Hurricane Andrew*struck South Florida in 1992.

Not looking forward to this.

Pics of our block & surrounding streets by the U of Miami.

Attachments

• 20170911_075944.jpg
    20170911_075944.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 20170911_074230.jpg
    20170911_074230.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 20170911_073640.jpg
    20170911_073640.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 11
Can't compare to you guy's down there...but we were out for 11 days up here after Sandy came through.
I think almost every substation blew up up here as trees brought down countless power lines and subs were taking short after short till they blew up.
Do you have a generator and infeed/interlock that you could be up on generator WITHOUT back feeding the utility?
I could round up stuff for you up here and ship it to you, but I don't know how/IF it would get to you.

93max, thank you for your generous offer. We have a Disconnect for the house feed, we have a generator but haven't put it to use yet. In getting 3 homes secured, we didn't get to retrieve it from storage. It was stored operable but it's been years since we had to use it.

If you do break your generator out of storage I highly recommend chaining/securing it down. Because after Katrina we had looters going around stealing generators while they were running. Had that happen to a few people in our neighborhood.

Best of luck on a speedy recovery down there. My prettier halfs family is in Tampa we were keeping dibs on them. Gonna be a lot of cleanup for sure.

Can't compare to you guy's down there...but we were out for 11 days up here after Sandy came through.
I think almost every substation blew up up here as trees brought down countless power lines and subs were taking short after short till they blew up.
Do you have a generator and infeed/interlock that you could be up on generator WITHOUT back feeding the utility?
I could round up stuff for you up here and ship it to you, but I don't know how/IF it would get to you.

I backfeed the generator into a dedicated double 20 or 30amp (don't remember which at the moment) set of breakers and just shut down the main before switching the generator breakers on.

If you do break your generator out of storage I highly recommend chaining/securing it down. Because after Katrina we had looters going around stealing generators while they were running. Had that happen to a few people in our neighborhood.

Best of luck on a speedy recovery down there. My prettier halfs family is in Tampa we were keeping dibs on them. Gonna be a lot of cleanup for sure.

+10,000 to securing the generator....there are those out there who couldn't care less about their fellow man or the discomfort, even death, they might cause by stealing someones generator! Saw lots of that during the big ice storm we had up north in the late 90's, bastards were grabbing them out of pick-ups at the red lights.

Also be extremely careful about carbon monoxide fumes, it takes almost no opening to let enough in to kill everyone in the house....like an extension cord coming thru a doorway!

I backfeed the generator into a dedicated double 20 or 30amp (don't remember which at the moment) set of breakers and just shut down the main before switching the generator breakers on.

I do the same Dan-o. Got a 50 amp outdoor receptacle. I kill the main,flip the breaker,have a plug wired into my generator, and it lights up most of the circuits in our house that we need. Got to stay ready.

God speed to you Philip.

Last edited:
Drove yesterday to check on 3 homes, in 2 counties, Miami-Dade Co (metro Miami) got it the worst. Few businesses open, many are cash-only, when they are open.

Chainsaw day again to kill a mature mango tree & a lychee tree my FIL planted. Haden mangos, considered one of the best, bred here in Miami, sad to see it go.

It is gonna be a long recovery.

I do the same Dan-o. Got a 50 amp outdoor receptacle. I kill the main,flip the breaker,have a plug wired into my generator, and it lights up most of the circuits in tour house that we need. Got to stay ready.

God speed to you Philip.

While this will work in MAYBE a situation like firemedic, It's illegal a violation and DANGEROUS!
An Interlock kit (not the ones on flebay) from the manufacture of the panel it's going in to and a corresponding in feed receptacle is the correct , safe, legal way
to do it.

Picture this.
You go to work,store anywhere and the power comes back on.
Your wife,kid goes to the panel and throws the main on WHILE the gen is still hooked up!
I can tell you this for a fact.
Your next trip WILL be going to the hospital to see how bad it is!

An interlock kit will not let this happen. One of the 2 breakers HAS TO GO OFF.

Another thing that WILL happen out by me is if the utility hears a gen while they have to work on the lines by your house and they see it wired up like the way mentioned, the WILL cut your service off at your house!.

Please spend the $350 and do it the right way!
Not trying to be a prick...but I'm licensed electrician and KNOW what will happen IF someone does what I mentioned in the scenario above.

I pulled the meter out and put it in the house. I don't want anyone killed or hurt because of me.
Generator wired and with everything off, I can get the A/C to run! Cool the house down and shut it off. Turn the lights, tv and micro back on, if I kill everything again I can run the water heater too. Guess I'm luck to be an industrial a/c mechanic with 4160 volt cert's.

While this will work in MAYBE a situation like firemedic, It's illegal a violation and DANGEROUS!
An Interlock kit (not the ones on flebay) from the manufacture of the panel it's going in to and a corresponding in feed receptacle is the correct , safe, legal way
to do it.

Picture this.
You go to work,store anywhere and the power comes back on.
Your wife,kid goes to the panel and throws the main on WHILE the gen is still hooked up!
I can tell you this for a fact.
Your next trip WILL be going to the hospital to see how bad it is!

An interlock kit will not let this happen. One of the 2 breakers HAS TO GO OFF.

Another thing that WILL happen out by me is if the utility hears a gen while they have to work on the lines by your house and they see it wired up like the way mentioned, the WILL cut your service off at your house!.

Please spend the $350 and do it the right way!
Not trying to be a prick...but I'm licensed electrician and KNOW what will happen IF someone does what I mentioned in the scenario above.

I'd not leave home when running the gen set, but you are right about the legality of it. Now send a letter to the contractor that didn't install a GFI anywhere in the house. A licensed electrician is changing them out.

I understand in a pinch such as this, having no way to do it correctly, pulling the meter is the only option.
But after everything goes back to normal, it should be done the correct way so god forbid,next time it safe.
SDT354, I don't understand the 2nd part of your reply?

Yes, thanks for the safety tips r.e. CO & hazards of wiring. LEO's daughter killed by CO, the LEO & I went to college together & I knew her, just graduated h.s. V sad funeral. In our remodel we didn't do a separate disconnect for the aux power, not enough room on the lot to locate a generator according to the architect. I used to do plans review & inspections for them, aux generators. I think now we will finally install the proper switching even if we don't have a built-in aux generator, we do have natural gas but the utility often shuts off the supply until the lines are inspected for some time after a hurricane, though this time it didn't go off. I inspected/permitted 1000 gal below-grade propane systems for luxury homes on the Atlantic Ocean, for aux generators, and satellite-controlled on/off ones for supermarkets to stay open after a storm, diesel powered ones, the German generator/engine sat on top of the tank. A call to corporate hq in NC, they send the signal via satellite, and it starts.

Gonna go pull out of storage the gen. we do have & check it out, fuel lines esp. Thanks for the warnings, and the offers of assistance.

I don't even have an whole house automatic ATS for my house either.
I have a 10k max 9k sustained portable with an infeed and interlock.
More then I need to run my house.

I currently am a On site electrician for a data center and have 2 - 1.5 MEG @ 13,2 KV gens and 1 - 2 MEG @ 480v generators on site.
LOL!
Could probably power several towns with them.

Back