Is it a clutch issue or tranny issue?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kozy

Reaction score
I've noticed a lot recently that when I'm riding down the highway in 5th gear, say around 65 mph or so, if I hammer the throttle my engine revs all the way to redline. I can still feel the bike pulling, but something still seems to be awry. The revs eventually come back down to where they should be at, and the bike continues to pull all the way until the shift point. Is this my tranny starting to head south on me? Or is it my clutch gone bad?

On a possibly related or unrelated note, I've been having a bitch of a time getting my bike into neutral.

Sounds like the clutch slipping under load. How is it when you floor it through the gears? You notice any slippage anywhere else?

Sounds like the clutch slipping under load. How is it when you floor it through the gears? You notice any slippage anywhere else?

If I hammer through the gears from a dead stop, it does the same thing sometimes. But never in the first few gears. I don't think I've ever had it happen in anything less than 4th gear.
Sounds like I need a new clutch. Damnit anyhow.

If I hammer through the gears from a dead stop, it does the same thing sometimes. But never in the first few gears. I don't think I've ever had it happen in anything less than 4th gear.
Sounds like I need a new clutch. Damnit anyhow.

How many miles on your max? The one thing the PO did on my bike was replace the clutch at 29K.

What oil are you using? There's been many reports of clutch slippage when using oil that contain friction modifiers. Change your oil for a recommended one like Yamalube, or what I use - Shell Rotella-T, and see if it helps b4 your go tearing into your clutch.

hmmm....that seems premature for a clutch. You check the hydro fluid for the clutch?
Yeah....I'm not very knowledgeable about anything clutch-related. How do I check that?

What oil are you using? There's been many reports of clutch slippage when using oil that contain friction modifiers. Change your oil for a recommended one like Yamalube, or what I use - Shell Rotella-T, and see if it helps b4 your go tearing into your clutch.

I'm not sure what oil is in there now. I know that when I had the dealer change my starter clutch, they also changed the oil.

Yeah....I'm not very knowledgeable about anything clutch-related. How do I check that?

the left reservoir on your handlebars, is it lower (when on the center stand, or straight up and down) than the lower mark?

I'm not sure what oil is in there now. I know that when I had the dealer change my starter clutch, they also changed the oil.

they probably used yama-lube, i'd call and ask for sure tho

Yeah I suspect either the oil or the clutch plates going out. It's NOT the transmission and if the reservoir was low it would keep you from being able to pull the clutch plates out.

I'd replace the oil and see how that effects it and then if no change I'd replace the friction disks.

Make sure to use OEM disks.

Put bike in 5th gear with bike running. Rev to 4K and drop clutch. If the bike stalls, clutch is good. Bump the bike up against a wall for safety.

I'd replace the oil and see how that effects it and then if no change I'd replace the friction disks.
Make sure to use OEM disks.

I was thinking about changing the clutch to a higher quality clutch. I've heard nothing but good things about the Barnett, but I really don't want anything pink on my bike. What would be the easiest route(for me, since I'm not mechanically inclined) for my fixing the clutch problem?

I was thinking about changing the clutch to a higher quality clutch. I've heard nothing but good things about the Barnett, but I really don't want anything pink on my bike. What would be the easiest route(for me, since I'm not mechanically inclined) for my fixing the clutch problem?

Replacing the clutch discs is really fairly simple. I would use oem discs personally. The barnett clutch basket is pink which you shouldn't have to replace.

Replacing the clutch discs is really fairly simple. I would use oem discs personally. The barnett clutch basket is pink which you shouldn't have to replace.

i would use OEM as well when its time. do they sell clutch kits for the vmax?

Put bike in 5th gear with bike running. Rev to 4K and drop clutch. If the bike stalls, clutch is good. Bump the bike up against a wall for safety.

What will happen if the clutch is bad when I do this?

So....I went out and checked the bike out on my lunch. I don't know if I just have horrible vision....or not. But when I looked at the clutch master cylinder, I didn't see ANY fluid in the little circular window thingy. I looked at the brake M/C as well, and also didn't see any fluid. I may just be really low? How can I top these off, and with what fluid?

Go to your local auto store and either use DOT3 or DOT4 brake fluid for both reservoirs. Check your rear reservoir too.

To fill, just remove two phillips screws on cover. Put rags down to prevent fluid from getting on there. Next, remove rubber diaphragm. Now, carefully fill reservoir until fluid is a little less than 1/2 up window.

So....I went out and checked the bike out on my lunch. I don't know if I just have horrible vision....or not. But when I looked at the clutch master cylinder, I didn't see ANY fluid in the little circular window thingy. I looked at the brake M/C as well, and also didn't see any fluid. I may just be really low? How can I top these off, and with what fluid?

it is possible (but sound unlikely) that its so full it doesn't show in the window. take the two covers off and then actually look in the reservoir...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this solves the problem. The cheapest fix possible is the best fix! I'll put some fluid in it tonight and we'll see what happens from there. I'll also try to whole dropping the clutch in 5th gear thing tonight too.

Back