Is it normal to find all 4 floats high?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2stangs69-91

Reaction score
I have been fighting a rich running condition on my bike. A couple of different dyno test have confirmed it. I pulled my carbs off yesterday to check them out and possibly lean them out some more with the main jet. I decided to check the floats for the first time, it is a 2006 how bad could they be lol. I used the dry float adjustment from this forum as a guideline. All 4 of the floats were very high If you use the casting circle as a reference they were covering 3/4 to all of it. I set the dry float level to 1.125 and they sit right at the top of the casting circle right now. How much do you think this change will lean out my bike? thanks for the help Mike

My 06 was the same way. Float levels were way too high. It runs much better, but I can't be sure how much because I put a set of pipes on it at the same time.

Make sure to check wet levels too. On the bench is a good start, but wet is what really matters. It's not hard to do either - you just need clear tubing that snuggly fits the float bowl drain hoses.

I've not done a wet check in a really long time. It is definitely not a bad idea to do but the dry settings work so well I don't usually even bother.

Sean

My '06 floats were off as well. I did the change hand in hand with Sean's kit so its hard to tell how much of a difference it made.

Before adjustment on the left, after adjustment on the right.

Attachments

• DSC02295.JPG
    DSC02295.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 122
yep that looks about right. Mine looked the same way. I am going to put them back on today. I was going to purchase some smaller jets(lol sorry sean I havent orderd the 147's yet) and just try to lean it out but figured I better do this from the beginning. I will put it back together with a small shim on the needle and go give it a run. Thanks for the input.

Make sure to check wet levels too. On the bench is a good start, but wet is what really matters. It's not hard to do either - you just need clear tubing that snuggly fits the float bowl drain hoses.

I am going to do the wet float thing just because I have never done it before and it sounds interesting. Does anybody have any pics of this test being done. I have already read the directions on this site to do it.

Instead of starting a new thread, I'll just add to this one. I set my dry levels as directed in this forum. But my wet levels are just over a half inch low! They're all consistent, just low. Has anyone ever run into this problem? Or am I doing something wrong? To check wet levels I used clear hose to slip over the drain hoses, opened up the drain screws, and cycled the key on and off until the pump stopped clicking. Is that correct? Also, my airbox and everything is on, will that alter the levels?

EDIT: NM, I think I was reading it wrong. After more reading, I found that the level is supposed to be 16mm below the lines on the side of the carb. I thought the level was supposed to be at the middle of the diaphragm cover :doh:

My understanding was to check the wet level with the bike running, Im hoping someone will tell me if Im wrong.

I would sure like to see a couple of pics of this.

On a side note my bike is running great right now. I have not been back to a dyno but I have the floats set with the dry method. 152.2 stock jets and 1 dale walker needle shim. I have the dale walker holeshot exhaust and a K&N filter that uses the stock top with the y removed. My bike is running the best it ever has.

first pic is the line under the Qtip indicating your wet float level. in theory over that line will be rich, under leaner, but thats your go by line. the second picture points to your over flow tube and the screw you need to turn a couple turns out to let fule flow out of the tube. you can get a small piece of clear tube with a two male end connector piece to hook into your overflow tube. hold the tube higher than the wet line on your carb and losen the screw indicated. fuel will stop at the level in the bowl. * make sure bike is on centerstand or level when doing this.

L1020471.jpg

L1020463.jpg

L1020473.jpg

L1020474.jpg

You put the top of the hose at that line. Spec is 15-17 mm below that line.

if you tune for low or high floats does it really matter where they are, as long as they're high enough to always have gas at WOT?

Float level makes a difference at all rpms and throttle angles.

You could but then that carb would have different mains and needle settings that the others? I make sure floats are the same...just like valve adjustments.

You could but then that carb would have different mains and needle settings that the others? I make sure floats are the same...just like valve adjustments.

oh def mark, i was talking about the 4 carbs as a whole

Back