Is this repairable?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atropine

Reaction score
Was taking apart my bike today and when I went to take off the backrest it came apart like this.... I'm surprised I didn't notice it earlier but the pieces fit together pretty tight so it wasn't glaringly obvious when all the bolt were tight. Must've been done by the previous owner. Is this cast aluminum? Can it be welded/repaired? I'm guessing it's probably not worth the effort and expense to have it welded, but I'm curious.

Attachments

• vmax backrest.jpg
    vmax backrest.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 75
I've made worse things functional and look good. JB Weld over any repair is even able to be powder coated. If you do replace it, don't throw it away. I'll pay the shipping to Florida. Maybe I can't fix it but I'd like the chance to try. I won't be looking at any welds just a heavy bolt from the top with red Loctite and filling all the repair with JB.

I do have a sissy bar for sale but it also has the factory rack and a special fit soft bag mounted on the rack. Likely more than you need or want to do.

Dave in Florida

I may have a riser only available but that one is easily weldable. You cut a grove for the weld then you can fill it and grind flush. Paint, polish, chrome, or coat it to look like new.

When I first bought my max one of the scoops was cracked. I was taking a welding class at the time and my instructor offered to weld it back together. He Tig welded it without a problem I had him add extra so I could grind down flush. I then powder coated over everything and it was lookin good. May not be cost effective for this application tho.

Latest posts

Back