Is this too good to be true?????

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minicopilot

Reaction score
I recently saw a 2005 Max for sale. 2 owners, 2084 miles. Bike looks beautiful in the ad pictures. All stock. $7, 000. Is this too good too be true? Could this bike been ridden without the odometer being hooked up?

I wouldn't say it is too good to be true. The 1989 I just picked up had one owner, and a true 2772 original miles...so anything is possible!

High eh? I'm not good with putting a value on these bikes. I would've thought an 05 with low miles would be worth a decent amount of money. If 7k is high what would be considered a fair price to pay?

I bought my 05 about 4 years ago, with 15000 miles on it, and only paid 5k. A few more miles on it, but the bike was pristine.

The bike is worth $4300 on trade and $6300 retail. With that low of miles i would say $7000 is top doller if the bike is stock perfect low miles and you want it bad enough. If it was me i would show the owner the trade price and the retail price and offer him $6000 because it has low miles. You can find other vmax with 6000 to 10000 miles for $4500 to $5000 find a few and show the owner that also. If you do a good job at selling your self he will take the money. If you dont know what to look for when buying a vmax even with 2500 miles ask us before you buy or you could spend alot of money after you buy it.

All depends on what you want and what its worth to you... When I bought my 97 it was one owner with a little over 300 miles on it not a miss print keep reading. The guy bought it out of spite his wife told him not to buy it so he did lol. The bike scared the shit out of him a few times he rode it so it sat in the garge for years he kept it in spite:rofl_200: of her. I was able to buy the bike for $7,000 but it was brand new be it that it was ten years old. May have been high price dont know dont care its what I wanted and I knew I would never find one like it again. Thats the story of my Vmax:punk:

Yep....I gladly paid dealership prices at a dealer...all because thats what I wanted.

I recently saw a 2005 Max for sale. 2 owners, 2084 miles. Bike looks beautiful in the ad pictures. All stock. $7, 000. Is this too good too be true? Could this bike been ridden without the odometer being hooked up?
One thing to consider is, will I be satisfied with the bike stock? Wheels, suspention, brakes, exhaust ect can run the investment up to 10k+ very quick. I see deals where all that stuff has been done and the owner wants to deal. To me that's where a great bargain is to be had. It depends on what you want. True milage? Only God and the P.O. know for sure.
Steve-o

I got my single-owner 06 with 2161 miles for $6200 last August. Not too good to be true, and maybe even a touch high. That's in Chicago where bikes fetch a bit more than usual, and was also out of a driveway. Dealership would be a different story I bet.

Stock is preferred to me, a lot of buttholes do some shoddy work on bikes. The PO of my low mileage 06 only ever put a battery in it. In doing so he lost 1 of the 2 screws that hold the terminal plate down, and rounded most the hex head bolts for getting the seat off. There's also a small dent on the faux tank that looks suspiciously like the butt of a ratchet that was carelessly swung around an uncovered tank. I don't want a guy like that doing my mods for me.

:edit:
Low miles are not always so nice. Bikes are made to be ridden. I promptly changed out all fluids and did some general maintenance which ran initial cost up another couple hundred bucks. I do that with every used bike though because I like to know when all that shit was last done, and don't trust PO's to give it to me straight.

The front brake calipers seized on me after the first few uses. Pads looked brand new when I serviced them and worked the calipers by hand a few times to free them up. While the rear brake pad was ground away to nothing. PO didn't think very highly of front brakes I guess lol

Blue book is $5115 high selling price is $6715. So not really that far off. Personaly low mileage is not always a good thing. It may have been sitting never run for the last 6 years. Had a friend buy a bike like that- 8 years old but not run for the last 7. Took some time and and money to get back on the road (mostly carb problems) then on the first "hard ride" the clutch blew into pieces a hundred mile from home. Clutch sitting part in oil and part out for all that time seemed to be the cause. (well that was the guess of the Yamaha dealer at least)

For a super super clean, I mean pristine example that needs nothing and runs perfect, $7000 is on the high end of retail (dealership) pricing. Keep in mind I saw a brand new leftover FZ8 on the dealer floor for $7200 the other day.

Steve has a good point about the mods. Some people value a stocker as a "blank canvas" or that it hasn't been messed around with by the previous owners. On the other hand, buying a bike with the more common/desirable mods (exhaust, suspension work, new good tires, ect), can save you a TON of money. The bike will sell for less than a bone stock, and you're getting potentially thousands in add-ons essentially for free.

I got my '85 last August with 7200 kilometers on it (about 4000 miles).It has over 11,000 right now :)

i bought my '03 in '08 with 1800 miles. i've always wondered if the speedo had been disconnected. i have no idea. i got a steal though ($4k). rear tire was just about shot and front wasn't much better. but who knows. if the tires looked newer i woulda been more sure it hadn't been run without the speedo. but it looked like a lot of stuff was never touched as well.

Price dropped a bit on that bike. I have a beautiful, excellent running max now, but everytime I see a nice one in my area to boot I get the itch to buy it. I should be saving for a gen 2! God it's a sickness!!!

If it helps any, I paid $6150 for my 07 in immaculate condition with (amazingly) 6,150 miles showing on the clock. New back tire, Kerker 4-1, stage 7 kit,a whole host of dress up goodies and all the original parts thrown into the deal. That was in May of this year. I figure the OEM stuff must be worth a grand or so so I was well pleased with the deal :).
If anyone needs any of the original parts I'd be happy to talk to you. I have quite a bit of stuff and have no plans to go back from where she is right now. It's just collecting dust in my shop.

Chris.

Back