Jerky

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KJShover

Proud Vmax lover
Reaction score
I was prepping a couple three pounds of meat this morning when I started thinking, I can't be alone on this one.

every summer when I go riding, I always take a little bag of jerky along with me.

I have a few recepies for jerky I like to make (buffalo, elk, beef, moose). I was wondering if anyone out there has any recepies of thier own they would like to pass on.

Here is my favorite marinade so far (does about 3-4lbs of meat, marinade for 30 min to 6 hours):

1c soy sauce
1/2c worcestershire sauce
1-1/2tsp liquid smoke
1tsp ground ginger
1tsp red pepper flakes
1tbl sea salt
1stp crushed black pepper
2tbl splenda brown sugar

Mine's simple : worcestershire, liquid smoke, salt & pepper. Funny you posted this, I have 3 venison backstraps left I was just thinking about doing.

Marinate meat for 3-4 days in...
1.5 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp accent
2tsp onion salt
1/2 cup worchester sauce
1/3 cup soy sauce
1tsp liquid smoke
3tsp pepper
2tsp season all salt

sounds good, what do you do with it after you marinade it?

sounds good, what do you do with it after you marinade it?

After you cut into the correct size pieces throw it into the dehydrator for the correct duration & temp according to the directions on the dehydrator. Cut meat before marinade.

Thanks for the recipes guys, lots of venison in the freezer!

ok, i'll bite!

now someone explain how they make the jerky...

i've wanted to make some...

Once you taste good homemade jerky you'll never "snap into a slim jim". Dehydrator works well but I'm with Bill on the smoker and a thicker cut on the meat.

I made some last year with no fat, dried really well, and put into a ziplock bag. A week or so later, small cottony white puffs were growing on them. Tossed the rest. I guess you need to eat soon or freeze, but I always thought they would last a looong time cause they are dried. Any thoughts?

Red

ha ha - i know the white "cottony" puffs you refer to. A friend gave me moose peperettes awhile back. They had some salt on them, they were great.

A few days later I went for another, and saw some white on it. Not examining it thoroughly, thinking it was the salt - I bit into it.

It was bad. Mouldy.

Ha ha

Ok this thread has inspired me to get back into this...For those without a dehydrator, I have had good results in the oven as well. Trick was to keep oven at the lowest possible setting and keep the oven door slightly cracked open..
Anytime I've taken an exented backcoutnry trip into the woods for a week or so I've always made up a batch prior to the trip...

Just a tip, I'm a saltoholic but marinating in "standard" soy sauce resulted in a very salty jerky so I find the low sodium version to work very well..

My batch is in the dehydrator as we speak. Love it that my house now smells of hickory smoke!!!! Ghost, if I have any left I will bring some to the Ice Breaker. Will be throwing a bag or two into the freezer. Next purchase will be a vacuum sealer so I can make big batches and just vacuum seal them.

I think I just might have to look into this - or at least stop at a 24/7 and pick some up!

Here's my recipe. I haven't received a bad comment, yet... The longer you soak the meat, usually, the saltier it gets. Meats differ in absorption. I usually soak for 1/2-1 minute avg. The thinner the cut, the better. 1/8" is good.

1 bottle regular La Choy soy
2-3 tblsp worcestershire
1 tblsp smoke
1/2-1 cup drk brn sugar
coarse pepper to your liking

Back