Just brought my 2006 Vmax back up after sitting for a while

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sblankert

Reaction score
Put a new battery in her and changed the oil and a spark plug, and she fired right up! These bikes are beasts :) It does sound a little choppy, and seems underpowered, but she does have 50k miles on her. Do you think the 6 month old gas is making it choppy? I'm driving it around to get the gas out so I can put some fresh high octane in.
I normally drive a Zero DSR electric bike, but I'm training to be certified as a MSF Rider Coach, so decided to bring the internal combustion bike back into service to get back into riding a bike with gears and shifting.

Any other advice on bringing a bike back online that has been sitting a while is appreciated.

I would start with removing the old fuel from the gas tank then drain the float bowls and look for any debris or sediment.

Fill the tank with fresh fuel, with the addition of a good quality fuel stabilizer/cleaner and don’t forget a new fuel filter.

In the future, you will probably form a close relationship with Mr. Mikunis four little engineering marvels, just like I have.

I tried to post earlier, but the website was down.

I suspect your pilot jets in the carbs are probably-plugged, if it's idling poorly. If that's all that matters with the carbs, it should run OK from the midrange to top-end. As Bullies 74 said, fresh gas, not on-top of stale gas, and a new fuel filter. Cut-open the fuel filter to see what crud it's collected. Closely-examine the inside of the gas tank.

If your tank is dirty, cleaning it and possibly sealing it will be necessary to stop continued migration of fine particulate material from the deteriorating tank into the small carburetor passageways. Without doing that, your carbs will continually-clog. Dannymax and Sean Morley [email protected] are two banner ad guys at the top of the page, who can get your carbs sorted, if you cannot do it yourself. Too-many times on-here, people say, "I spent $600-$1,000 getting my carbs cleaned by the local shop, but the bike runs poorly." Contact these guys if you need it, they will eliminate that issue reasonably, and using OEM parts.

Latest posts

Back