Just how screwed am I?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You may have some very serious issues. The crap in the cluster and then the water in the oil. It's way nasty. You are close enough that you should go ahead and pull the oil distribution system so you can examine the rod bearings. Then you will need to take the clutch out and clean that all up. Probably all the covers and new gaskets for everything.

Sean

There's definitely an interesting dichotomy of stuff going on here, that's for sure. I see something like the carbs, which are downright painful to look at... and then I see the water pump and clutch covers, which are brand new. Maybe I've been spoiled by my other bike's dry clutch (loud clutches save lives!) but this one looks pretty good to me as well. Most of the artifacts you see are due to taking the picture at night when it was very humid... oh yeah, and I might have my share of a little Captain in me as well. :biglaugh:

I'm thinking that the video DVD that's for sale on eBay would be money well spent at this point. Anyone have an engine stand I could borrow/rent?

Here's a question... once I get most everything pulled off, how can I turn the engine over by hand in order to get a look down all of the cylinders? My V-twin has a hole in one side of the case, and you can thread on a turn bar to rotate it through the motions.

Attachments

• SNC10592.jpg
    SNC10592.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 56
I would say that either the previous owner clean up certain components or it did get flooded but the engine was never run after. Somebody did try to start it as evident by the milky oil. Either way, it sounds like your looking at a complete tear down and rebuild - I would start with the engine before spending anymore cash. Then make your decision.

Mike

Here's a question... once I get most everything pulled off, how can I turn the engine over by hand in order to get a look down all of the cylinders? My V-twin has a hole in one side of the case, and you can thread on a turn bar to rotate it through the motions.

On the left-hand side of the motor, there's a small round cover in the middle of the alternator cover. Unscrew it, you will find a big nut behind it. This is the nut used to spin the engine by hand when adjusting the valves.

From what little I can see the covers have been replaced. The paint on the engine doesn't even remotely match the paint on the pump that I can see. If it's got the sand looking stuff inside the engine then it may be worth the extra effort to take it apart now and not later. The parts aren't that expensive for new gaskets compared to shelling the engine out.

Sean

Well, I just swung by Harbor Freight at lunch and picked up a 1000 lb. engine stand. Guess it's time to gut this thing and see what's what!

Does anyone sell an "every gasket you're gonna need to build an engine up from scratch" kit?

I'd see if it runs first before you rip it apart. I have dewatered a lot of 4 stroke dirt bikes, including my own, and the motors still run fine. You have to change the oil quite a few times to get the water out of the motor.

That thing definitely looks like a katrina floater. Depending what ya paid for it, maybe you could part it out and make some of the money back. Anyway best of luck man.

I would normally have said to clean it and go but the amount of what looks like sand in it would make it very hard to get clean enough that it wouldn't chew it up. Athena complete kits are fine or I can send most of the actual gaskets you need. Before you even buy anything you may want to take it apart some and see what you have.

Sean

I would normally have said to clean it and go but the amount of what looks like sand in it would make it very hard to get clean enough that it wouldn't chew it up. Athena complete kits are fine or I can send most of the actual gaskets you need. Before you even buy anything you may want to take it apart some and see what you have.

Sean

I agree!

The good news (I'm telling myself it's good news, so don't spoil it for me!) is that when I pulled the oil pan, there was no dirt/sand/mud, and no metal shavings or random parts down in there. Just a little bit of sludge and a little bit of normal oil.

Well then... Put some oil down through the spark plug holes, let sit, and crank it over a bit...

Thats what we basically do with the snowmachines that go submarine up here. We pull engine covers, pans, then flush the puppy out with kerosine followed up with a couple of oil changes.

First off, definitely pick up one of Damon's videos. I've watched It three or four times already and it's 4.5 hours long! Second, yeah, you're screwed pretty good! But, this is a great chance to learn about a Max so the next one you buy will be a pleasure! Good luck to you and thanks for keeping us updated with the pics and text

I've tried contacting him through eBay, but I never got a response. Definitely looking forward to getting a copy!

Damon is a member here, he goes by none other than DAMON! :biglaugh:Send him a PM and if he has it linked to his email he should get the message.
Great guy and knows the Vmax very well.:worthy:
His standard line is "only genuine Yamaha parts on my Vmax". But he says it with that knowing smile...

So I got her all apart this weekend... every last part removed from the old frame, and the engine ready to mount to an engine stand and start the rebuild. While I've got it apart, what all should I do to it? Normally, I'd lean towards the other comments that say don't take it apart, just flush it out good and try it. When I pulled the carbs, I noticed leaves and pine needles down inside the heads (resting on the long skinny part of the valves), so I figure I might as well be sure.

I also drained what was left in the gas tank... my "gas cap" was a couple of those brown convenience store napkins stuffed in the filler neck. It's kind of hard to tell from the picture, but it's definitely a rusty brown, about the color of coke after you let it sit overnight in a glass filled with ice. I poured some into a metal lid and lit it up, and it took a few seconds to catch, but it did burn.

I also pulled the head covers, and the cams are NOT the color I was expecting. Good news there is that if I turn it over by hand, I don't feel any unnecessary binding, and there's no obvious noises of like grinding or metal hitting metal. I also hit one of the cam lobes with a brass brush, and it shined like new after about 5 seconds.

Attachments

• SNC10593.jpg
    SNC10593.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 15
  • SNC10595.jpg
    SNC10595.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 32
Back