Knocking in neutral

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 5302

Reaction score
Hello all. I posted a few times last summer about engine trouble. I have finally got the carburetors clean and roughly adjusted so that the bike runs fairly well. Now however, there is a rather distinctive knock coming from the bottom end when the bike is idling in neutral. When the clutch lever is pulled, the knock goes away. There is also no knock when the bike is in gear. It shifts ok and doesn't seem to slip at all. No gear whine either. PLEASE I can use a little good news. Could it possibly be something minor? 1992 with 23k. Thanks.

I'd say to sync the carbs first if it were me. Being out of sync can make it do knocking noises.

Sean

Jeez Rhoy, I hope it's that easy!
Sean, I can't really synch the carbs yet as I am waiting for new pilot jets to arrive. The crap gas that is sold in my area clogs the jets in no time. I have been draining the carbs at every shutdown but the problem persists even with a new filter. Would out-of-synch carbs really cause a pronounced knocking that would go away when the clutch lever is pulled? I really appreciate your replies.

The clutch can apply a slight load which can cause issues. It could be a worn basket but I really doubt it. I would not do anything before you sync the carbs if it were me.

Sean

Jeez Rhoy, I hope it's that easy!
Sean, I can't really synch the carbs yet as I am waiting for new pilot jets to arrive. The crap gas that is sold in my area clogs the jets in no time. I have been draining the carbs at every shutdown but the problem persists even with a new filter. Would out-of-synch carbs really cause a pronounced knocking that would go away when the clutch lever is pulled? I really appreciate your replies.

Man, that seems pretty excessive.....When was the last time the carbs were dismantled and run through a carb bath, maybe idle circuits are plugged also?

Man, that seems pretty excessive.....When was the last time the carbs were dismantled and run through a carb bath, maybe idle circuits are plugged also?
I completely dismantled, cleaned and rebuilt the carbs last September. I only cleaned the jets and did not replace them at that time. Since then I have dismantled the rack and pulled the float bowls at least 5 or 6 times and every time I did the pilot jets were clogged again. :bang head:

I completely dismantled, cleaned and rebuilt the carbs last September. I only cleaned the jets and did not replace them at that time. Since then I have dismantled the rack and pulled the float bowls at least 5 or 6 times and every time I did the pilot jets were clogged again. :bang head:

Man...that really sux!! Won't be a lot longer and our bikes probably won't even run on that crap!! :bang head:

Ethanol Gas????? I had similar problems and now use Non Ethanol, exclusivly.. Also, check your tank for rust and replace fuel filter and get the carbs clean in the change over process. There's a list on line that tells where to buy Non Ethanol, country wide...

Good Luck,

Back