Kozy's Engine Removal thread

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kozy

Reaction score
So...this weekend I started on the enormous task (for me, at least) of removing the engine and replacing the transmission gears. I am also changing over the motor mounts to solid ones while I'm at it. Attached are pics of what the bike looks like with no motor...as I forgot to take step-by-step pics of the whole process. Here is what I found during this process though:

1. Whoever was the last person to get into the water pump housing used Permatex...and left the fun part of removing the glued-on cover to me. Water pump elbow is bad, have the new replacement part for that already.

2. Not very many bolts on the bike are matching, especially the ones that hold the motor on. The part of the front upper mounts that bolts to the frame were all different size bolts. I think this may be a hint that it's been worked on before.

3. One of the o-rings in the oil gallery was blown...luckily I didn't suffer any permanent damage from that though. Avoided a disaster.

4. The dogs on the transmission gears were definitely the culprit. They were very nicely rounded. Makes me REALLY curious to get it all back together and ride it again, especially now that I'll have overdrive.

5. The motor itself is dirty as hell and in some places could use a new paintjob. It is going to get a good cleaning while it's out. If only I had the time and resources to re-powdercoat the whole thing while I am at it though.

I got the transmission replaced today. Now I'm just waiting on my new shift drum to arrive so I can get all this put back together. I'm almost tempted to get that put in along with the new shift forks, close the engine back up, and send it off to be powdercoated. Only downside to that is that by the time I get those last parts in, I don't think there will be enough time for me to get them installed, get the engine closed back up, and get it powdercoated....all by this Saturday. I am being forced to go to a 1st birthday party on Sunday, even though I'm not too keen on the idea. I have family from Germany that's coming in this Friday, and our wedding is the following weekend. Then there's the honeymoon for a week. If I don't get this engine put back in on Saturday, it won't get touched for another 3 weeks at least. Not to mention that it and the rest of the bike is taking up space in my dad's garage too. Damn lack of time!!!!!

Attachments

• Vmax17.jpg
    Vmax17.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Vmax18.jpg
    Vmax18.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 86
So...this weekend I started on the enormous task (for me, at least) of removing the engine and replacing the transmission gears. I am also changing over the motor mounts to solid ones while I'm at it. Attached are pics of what the bike looks like with no motor...as I forgot to take step-by-step pics of the whole process. Here is what I found during this process though:

1. Whoever was the last person to get into the water pump housing used Permatex...and left the fun part of removing the glued-on cover to me. Water pump elbow is bad, have the new replacement part for that already.

2. Not very many bolts on the bike are matching, especially the ones that hold the motor on. The part of the front upper mounts that bolts to the frame were all different size bolts. I think this may be a hint that it's been worked on before.

3. One of the o-rings in the oil gallery was blown...luckily I didn't suffer any permanent damage from that though. Avoided a disaster.

4. The dogs on the transmission gears were definitely the culprit. They were very nicely rounded. Makes me REALLY curious to get it all back together and ride it again, especially now that I'll have overdrive.

5. The motor itself is dirty as hell and in some places could use a new paintjob. It is going to get a good cleaning while it's out. If only I had the time and resources to re-powdercoat the whole thing while I am at it though.

I got the transmission replaced today. Now I'm just waiting on my new shift drum to arrive so I can get all this put back together. I'm almost tempted to get that put in along with the new shift forks, close the engine back up, and send it off to be powdercoated. Only downside to that is that by the time I get those last parts in, I don't think there will be enough time for me to get them installed, get the engine closed back up, and get it powdercoated....all by this Saturday. I am being forced to go to a 1st birthday party on Sunday, even though I'm not too keen on the idea. I have family from Germany that's coming in this Friday, and our wedding is the following weekend. Then there's the honeymoon for a week. If I don't get this engine put back in on Saturday, it won't get touched for another 3 weeks at least. Not to mention that it and the rest of the bike is taking up space in my dad's garage too. Damn lack of time!!!!!

Just another perspective Kozy but, if you want everything powdercoated now is for sure the best time to do it....you will prolly kick yourself later if you don't.

Other than the issue of your Dad's garage space, it sounds like...even if you meet the Saturday deadline and get the engine re-installed...there will only be enough time to do a short test ride before your other obligations kick in. Then the bike will prolly sit for the 3 weeks anyway.

Why not send it to the powdercoaters and get it the way you want it, then when you get back to it in the 3 weeks, or whatever, it'll be ready and you won't be working under so much timeing pressure.

Not intending to mess with your personal life, I'm just throwing this out there....

danny

Just another perspective Kozy but, if you want everything powdercoated now is for sure the best time to do it....you will prolly kick yourself later if you don't.

Other than the issue of your Dad's garage space, it sounds like...even if you meet the Saturday deadline and get the engine re-installed...there will only be enough time to do a short test ride before your other obligations kick in. Then the bike will prolly sit for the 3 weeks anyway.

Why not send it to the powdercoaters and get it the way you want it, then when you get back to it in the 3 weeks, or whatever, it'll be ready and you won't be working under so much timeing pressure.

Not intending to mess with your personal life, I'm just throwing this out there....

danny

I've been contemplating that more and more. I just have to chat with my dad to make sure it won't be a pain in the ass for him if my bike sits in the garage for the next 3 weeks. I have to double check with my powdercoater guy to see if he even has any powder that would withstand the heat that the engine sees. I know that he powdercoated my exhaust originally and that stuff flaked off from the heat the first day I rode it. I know there aren't any places around here that do ceramic coatings either.

i think u can normal p/c an engine, right? i think thats the best idea kozy.

The powdercoat will withstand anything you want to throw at it on the engine. The seals of the engine however will not survive the powdercoat cure process unless you can find someone using the newer low melt powder.

We bead blast and paint the engines. A lot less issues later when you want to take a cover off too. I can send the engine intake block plates along with the rest of the stuff if you want to borrow them.

Sean

Attachments

• Engine_Stripped.jpg
    Engine_Stripped.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 92
  • P1013441.jpg
    P1013441.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 91
The powdercoat will withstand anything you want to throw at it on the engine. The seals of the engine however will not survive the powdercoat cure process unless you can find someone using the newer low melt powder.

We bead blast and paint the engines. A lot less issues later when you want to take a cover off too. I can send the engine intake block plates along with the rest of the stuff if you want to borrow them.

Sean

Hahahah I think I sent you an email at the same time you posted this!
Can you give me a few pointers on how to paint the engine then? Is it something that I can do with just a rattlecan or do I have to have it done by someone with a sprayer? I have a place I can take it to and have it beadblasted. And you'll have to explain the "engine block plates along with the rest of the stuff" part to me. Won't I just be taping off all the parts that I don't want painted?

Also...on a related yet somewhat unrelated note....I'm figuring I might as well powdercoat my swingarm while it's off the bike. As it sits right now, fresh removed from the bike, what do I have to remove from it (other than the tire obviously) in order to make it oven-safe?

i actually just asked sean this, u have to completely dismantle the pumpkin to have it powdercaoted

swingarm probably wouldn't be bad. most guys just rattle can them so they match and its a lot easier.

most guys just rattle can them so they match and its a lot easier.

A buddy that was helping me take the engine out told me the same thing. I may just get some different types of sandpaper, some spray primer, spray paint, and spray clear coat, and try my hand at it. I wonder...would that also be a good way to paint the engine too?

i think they'd look similar, at first. but u'll be happier down the road with the p/c. but what level is the pain in the ass factor at?

i think they'd look similar, at first. but u'll be happier down the road with the p/c. but what level is the pain in the ass factor at?

Sean convinced me to not powdercoat the engine. Mainly because I'm already doing a shit-ton of work on it, and I really don't feel like removing all the small rubber parts from the engine just to powdercoat it. I'll just paint it. My "pain in the ass" threshold is already climbing with the wedding coming up so soon, and I don't need to add to that.

yea sometimes the pain in the ass factor is just too high. i hear ya bud. either way, doing the paint now is gonna be SOOOOO Much better and easier.

I coated a set of heads years ago and won't do another set (and i'll do about anything).

When you get it bead blasted you can bring it home and "de-tack" it which gets rid of any residual oils/grease and ready for paint. Then prime and paint. A gun and automotive paint will go on smoother and last longer but you can shaker it too. Make sure to mask off stuff you don't want painted (like the oil level sight glass).

My block off plates replace the intakes and seal it off so a little less work masking.

You can always slide the swingarm back in place with the wheel/tire/diff and be able to roll the chassis around.

The swingarm coating is easy enough but I suggest to replace the bearings at the same time. We leave the races in place and that keeps any coating material out of there. Slide hammer them out when it's coated and drive your new ones in carefully. Tape off the shock mounting stud and you're in business.

The rear diff is a bit more difficult to do coating and even more so with chrome. You can bead blast and paint this just like you are doing to the engine. There was a post in the last week or so that Jamie posted with one of the diffs we did that too.

To coat it you have to take all the guts out but one bearing which has to be cleaned of any grease (which cooks if you don't). To chrome it you have to remove that bearing. You'll note the manual even states not to remove this bearing as it is difficult and not normally needed. I will tell you difficult is an understatement. I made special jaws for my slide hammer to do the job and even have to put the diff in front of the jet heater to get it smoking hot and then yank them out.

Sean

Ok then....so beadblast the engine, swingarm, and diff.
I might as well have it all sprayed on with automotive paint then. It'll be easier that way. But won't automotive paint flake off because of the high engine temps?
Maybe I'll invest in some of that clear plastic coating stuff that KJ keyed me in on. It'll keep the swingarm from chipping due to rocks.

The paint we use is an almost plastic based paint and gets harder the higher the temps it gets. Has held up well on everyones we've done.

Sean

The paint we use is an almost plastic based paint and gets harder the higher the temps it gets. Has held up well on everyones we've done.

Sean

Specifically what kind of paint is it? A buddy of mine is willling to paint the thing for me, but says that paint will flake off. He said that if i can find out what kind of paint to use, he'll do it.

I use Plasti-Kote hi-temp engine enamel...they say it resists temps to 500 deg.

I'm pretty sure it hardens with heat cycles also.

If I can remember I will find out the brand that the body shop uses. I know it's normal automotive paint.

Fargo or Mike: Either of you having any problems with your paint??

Sean

I use Plasti-Kote hi-temp engine enamel...they say it resists temps to 500 deg.

I'm pretty sure it hardens with heat cycles also.

Does this stuff come in a spray can or can it be used in a spray gun?

I'd be interested in the type/ brand also as I am going to redo my paint as well. Trying to decide if I am going to paint w/ rattle can or have my buddy spray it in his shop.
I'm also want to get the 4 outer crankcase covers powdercoated, are there any issues involved with putting these through the heating process with P/Cing?

Latest posts

Back