Leaking oil

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zaos

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 1989 vmax that seemingly is always leaking oil, before it was leaking from the neutral position sensor, got a new OEM sensor and it fixed my issue, now it’s leaking from roughly the same area but it isn’t the sensor, what else could be leaking oil in this area? The middle gear cover? Another issue of mine is I went to open the choke and there’s a ton of oil on the lever, it seems like there’s a good amount of oil collecting in the air box, how can I fix this/what’s the cause?

Attachments

• IMG_8102.jpeg
    IMG_8102.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8103.jpeg
    IMG_8103.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7994.jpeg
    IMG_7994.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
The oil is on the outside of the box. Obvious places to start is anything close to it. My bet would be valve cover gaskets. It could be a crankcase breather tube that got loose too. Intake manifold bolts are close too but they don't leak like that.

The oil is on the outside of the box. Obvious places to start is anything close to it. My bet would be valve cover gaskets. It could be a crankcase breather tube that got loose too. Intake manifold bolts are close too but they don't leak like that.
There’s a crack in the box that it seems like it’s leaking from

You don't show a picture of the inside of the air-box but let;s assume that is where the oil is coming from. The first thing to check would be that the sump isn't over filled.
If it is at or slightly below the max level then I would suspect excessive piston blow-by is the culprit. To confirm this you would need to do a cylinder leak down test.
To identify where the oil around the middle gear comes from thoroughly de-grease the engine (all of it) and then puff talcum powder over it.
Warm the engine up and the leaks will show up on the talcum. You may need to go for a ride if nothing shows stopping regularly to check. Take a torch so you can peer into the various nooks and crannies.

Back