Oil leakage left side - didn't figure out

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pikipikos

Reaction score
Nicosia CYPRUS 🇨🇾 EU island in the Mediterranean
Hi guys. Its been a while to post a thread.
My 94 Vmax was running ok since the rebuild in 2015.
I noticed an amount of oil leak, on the left side, concentrated in the 2nd from the left, left crankcase cover allen screw.(i think I've read something in the Forum? about this particular screw) I also noticed some oil film on the gasket between No 1 cylinder(left) gasket...
This is notable when engine is hot and works at 5 to 6000 revs.. Not at idle..
The oil concentrates mainly under the 2nd screw, as i explained.. Anyone with ideas step by step what to do?
Its a shiny bike, oil leak is not accepted🤣🤣🤣
Please advise me...

Screw #21 also acts as a drain for the middle gear (we all do that when we change the oil...don't we?) and the copper washer can be annealed and re used.
If you aren't sure where the leak comes from try dusting with some talc and follow it up.

Screw #21 also acts as a drain for the middle gear (we all do that when we change the oil...don't we?) and the copper washer can be annealed and re used.
If you aren't sure where the leak comes from try dusting with some talc and follow it up.
Max, the screw i am referring to is at the top of the case cover, starting from 👈 left side, the second one. I dont have any leaks from #21, 22 screws

Max, the screw i am referring to is at the top of the case cover, starting from 👈 left side, the second one. I dont have any leaks from #21, 22 screws
As per the diagram Fire medic posted, on the main crankcase cover NOT the middle drive case(where slave cylinder is located.
Unless is the gasket and tricks me out.. But on the other hand, yesterday on a short trip on the highway, the oil was concentrating on the hollow spot of that specific screw..
That's why i figured that maybe it flows from #1cyl gasket,ending to the screw... 😩

Thank you for the clarification.
Before tearing the motor apart you need to establish where the leak is coming from. First step as previously suggested would be to dust with talc and see where it sticks.
If this is inconclusive then degrease the engine and go for a short run then re-apply the talc. Keep doing this until you can see the origin.

I don't recall reading of leaks from the top of the flywheel cover and head gasket leak are extremely rare.
Occasionally read of leaks from the half moon on the cam cover and more frequently from one of the inlet stubs fasteners which is not blind and requries sealer.

I have cleaned the area with brake cleaner. I removed the plastic carburetor cover and i noticed that there was oil on the aluminium joint of carbs on cylinder #1. The visible allen screw was loose. I cleaned and re tight it.
Could it be that?
small amount of oil was dripping downwardstaking the path to cylinder ending on the pit of the screw onbthe crankcase?

I have cleaned the area with brake cleaner. I removed the plastic carburetor cover and i noticed that there was oil on the aluminium joint of carb on cylinder #1. The visible allen screw was loose. I cleaned and re tight it.
Could it be that? I mean is engine oil moving there, on the carb aluminum inlet?

As Mr Hammer suggests and identified in the last part of post #6.

You need very little sealer, too much on the threads and the excess can get into the engine.

Note that the same applies to the rear cylinder head but on the opposite side..

Back