LED Brake Light Help..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwood

Reaction score
I will try to explain this issue I am having in the easiest way possible...

I have a 99 Vmax, I replaced the rear Brake light with an LED light from http://www.motorcyclemods.com/ The light works great! it has a 3 wire hook up 1 ground, 1 brake and 1 wire for tail lights, now here comes the issue, I replaced the reflector behind the seat with a small LED light 1 ground wire and 1 hot wire for use as a brake light or tail light; hooking the wire to the tail light wire side of the bike, the light works just fine as a on all the time tail light, when I hook the reflector light wire to the brake light wire the main tail light dims and the reflector light dims (should be no voltage here until the brake lever is engaged) , but when the break handle or foot switch is engaged the lights are bright and work great, just the tail light circuit is dim all around, now if I disconnect the main brake light and run the reflector light on its own again it works just like it is suppose to, So i would guess there is some voltage "leaking" back from the motorcycle mods light?

Now for a fix; does anyone think a 12v 3A diode inline with the brake light wire to the main motorcycle mod brake light then hook the reflector light upstream from the diode ? will this work? does all this make sense? :ummm:

P5120272.jpg

P5120273.jpg

markers at night.jpg

markers with brakes.jpg
Ok I hooked up a LED light in the reflector spot

I hooked the power wire to the LED to the brake Light as seen and have no issues with bleed over or anything.

Then I added new turn signals with marker lights and still no bleed issues

Last edited:
Looks light your brake light is bulbs.. Could be why its working fine.. LED reflector to LED brake light is where my problem is...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I am going to replace the bulbs in the brake housing to plug and play LED after I get other things taken care of.

I will try to explain this issue I am having in the easiest way possible...

I have a 99 Vmax, I replaced the rear Brake light with an LED light from http://www.motorcyclemods.com/ The light works great! it has a 3 wire hook up 1 ground, 1 brake and 1 wire for tail lights, now here comes the issue, I replaced the reflector behind the seat with a small LED light 1 ground wire and 1 hot wire for use as a brake light or tail light; hooking the wire to the tail light wire side of the bike, the light works just fine as a on all the time tail light, when I hook the reflector light wire to the brake light wire the main tail light dims and the reflector light dims (should be no voltage here until the brake lever is engaged) , but when the break handle or foot switch is engaged the lights are bright and work great, just the tail light circuit is dim all around, now if I disconnect the main brake light and run the reflector light on its own again it works just like it is suppose to, So i would guess there is some voltage "leaking" back from the motorcycle mods light?

Now for a fix; does anyone think a 12v 3A diode inline with the brake light wire to the main motorcycle mod brake light then hook the reflector light upstream from the diode ? will this work? does all this make sense? :ummm:
I have a similar situation, but have used it to my advantage.
I have two taillights. When I replace the four 1157 incandescent bulbs with 1157 LED'S, I have about 6volts on the brake power wires - without activating the brakes. This can only be caused by "bleed-over" from the taillight circuit.
I have LED marker lights on my soft saddlebags. When I am using them , I hook the power wire to the brake light circuit. With the ignition on, I now have four taillights, when the brake is activated, the bag LED'S receive 12+ volts, instead of 6, and brighten up considerably. So I also have four brake lights!
I don't get any dimming of the brake lights when the bag lights are hooked up this way, as you say occurs in your situation. I suspect that diodes would solve your problem, but I have never tried them.
Cheers!

If you stick a diode inline it will work. Might even fix the problem.
The only issue you will have is 0.6v drop caused by the diode. So, 12v drops to 11.4v, 13.2v drops to 12.6v etc.

I have this reflector replacement LED tail light since 2 years
And i make it work the way i want

well understanding how (1157) two intensity LED works in comparaison of a (1157) regular bulb light
The regular bulb light has two different filament for the benefit of two intensity (tail/brake or position/flasher)

The LED has only one filament (i call it that way) and this filament can be dimed by ading a resistor WITH A DIODE,
this diode is verry important to protect your electric circuit from non-desired surge of courant/voltage

One LED or a thousand is always the same basic
So if you have one intensity LED unit you can dimed it on the wiring outside of the unit
Anay other ways to dim you LED light by serial connection or else is a passport for trouble.

Well, i placed a DIODE inline with the brake light wire and the "MAIN" tail light dims to the point it is unusable :ummm: but now the brake lights work!

So basically placing a diode in line made the problem worse, make absolutely no sense to me, I have a basic knowledge of electronics and it makes no sense!

So I guess I will have to use a relay to switch the reflector light off and on via the brake light wiring..what a pain! :bang head:

If it can help

found the negative and positive lead of your LED
Found witch direction your diode work for your need (courent must NOT go back to your arnest)

is you resistor Ok

make your new LED set up work alone on a work bench

Then, find the right wires on the bike (ground/tail/brake) and test light them

here`s a schema that should help

This connection option in the above reply is to get a TAIL/BRAKE LIGHT feature

if you go on BRAKE ONLY or TAIL ONLY option

forget about all this schema and plug your LED on the option of your coice

I did plug the led light to the option i wanted "brake light" power wire (see original post) and that's what occurs...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back